Sheeeit. Diesel bug!

Fuel level gauges......

The lectric is on the outside with a fuel sender

Diesel isn’t easy to get to combust but I wouldn’t run power into my tanks

Just saying

The lectric is on the outside with a fuel sender

Diesel isn’t easy to get to combust but I wouldn’t run power into my tanks

Just saying

Fair enough, personal choice. Leds would be sealed units with their own earth return, not earthed to the tank itself and as one other mentioned, would not ignite even if a short occured which should have a fuse or circuit breaker inline anyway. Try dipping a match into cooking oil..nothing. Diesel is however more explosive than petrol. Petrol being an ether readily combines with oxygen creating an explosive vapour. Diesel will under considerable pressure explode...but you knew that anyway.

...First on Diesel ignition...

Diesel flash point is at a lower temperature than pertrol...

Dont be kidded into thinking otherwise...

It is a standard exam question for most commercial maritime tickets...

Fuel Flash point Autoignition temperature Gasoline (petrol) −43 °C (−45 °F) 280 °C (536 °F) Diesel (2-D) >52 °C (126 °F) 256 °C (493 °F) Jet fuel (A/A-1) >38 °C (100 °F) 210 °C (410 °F) Kerosene >38–72 °C (100–162 °F) 220 °C (428 °F)

As previous, the more tank area that is empty the more the chance of condensation .

Try and keep the tank full when you are not using the boat.

I use FuelTreat

Diesel Fuel Biocide  (BC 250)

1 litre = 1000 litres.

I highly recommend a permanent fuel scrubbing system on your boat. Its not hard to set up

and can save a huge amount of grief. The system should pull fuel (water) from very low in the tank(s) and

scrub them through a water trap/filter. It should be set up as a twin filter system so you can switch from filter A to filter B, while on the move. This allows you to change filters or drain water while running the engine. An overflowing day tank makes this reasonably easy. It also allows you to run it for a reasonable length of time while the vessel is sitting at the marine / mooring.

It really comes into its own when you are getting "remote fuel"....that is the stuff out of a rusty 44 gal drum in the islands.

You scrub it straight away..

Chose a very common filter system so you can buy them 10 at a time for  few dollars. You will change them far more regularly.

Write the change date on the filter in large numbers...it helps to give you the guilts and change them more often as well..

Finally Biocide is much better as a preventative than a cure... when it really gets going only spotless cleaning and then steam cleaning can end up restoring the tank to a happy state.

• Upvote 1

...First on Diesel ignition...

Diesel flash point is at a lower temperature than pertrol...

Dont be kidded into thinking otherwise...

It is a standard exam question for most commercial maritime tickets...

Fuel Flash point Autoignition temperature Gasoline (petrol) −43 °C (−45 °F) 280 °C (536 °F) Diesel (2-D) >52 °C (126 °F) 256 °C (493 °F) Jet fuel (A/A-1) >38 °C (100 °F) 210 °C (410 °F) Kerosene >38–72 °C (100–162 °F) 220 °C (428 °F)

Don't think you are on the money there sunshine, if petrol flashes at -43 C and diesel flashes at >52 C, that is almost 100 C more....

You might be closer if you refer to the Autoignition temperature.

Diesel flashpoint is between 52 C and 96 C, and is normally not considered a flammable liquid, which is why its used in compression ignition engines.

Flashpoint is where the liquid gives off flammable vapors, which can potentially cause an explosion.

Petrol is always considered a flammable liquid, with explosive vapors, becoming so, as mentioned above, at -43 C or above.

Concerning biocides, Are they type specific or can they be mixed?

On the canal boat we bought and used a bottle of American made biocide in Holland (can't remember the name) but it's not available in France so need to get something else. We always add a dollop when refueling which we do frequently as I don't like the tank to go below three quarters full.

You might be closer if you refer to the Autoignition temperature.

yep sorry...typing to fast without engaging brain...

I meant auto ignition ,  as in protection in storage from heat ...exposure to a hot wire / exhaust pipe etc...

I will try again and say diesel will light up without a spark or similar ignition source at a surprisingly low temperature...in fact lower than petrol. There have been many serious accidents (mostly in commercial marine applications) where diesel has been thought of as "nearly as safe as water"...or not flammable..

It is the reason why it is so heavy stressed in the safety side of basic maritime training...

Most modern cars have fuel pumps in the bottom of their fuel tanks, the Earth/negative is bonded back to the fuel pump mount with a ring n rivet ..

:thumbup:  crew keeps ya (me) honest ..

All Marine are sending us this stuff:

http://fuelmaster.net.au

Also a tube of CRC SILICON grease for the other filter we have that leaks. Just need to wait for it now to reach KAEO.

The idea of laundering the diesel through a separate pump and filter system I agree would be the long term solution.... next haulout!

851521290.jpg

Must get some of that myself. I too had a bit of discoloration in the glass bowl, a bit of water, and the first sign of bug in the filter.

:-( 

As no-one mentioned the actual temps of Auto ignition for diesel and petrol, diesel is 210 C petrol is 246 C.

Yep. Supposedly "wonderous" stuff, cleans injectors, stops clogging, kills bacteria, fillets fish...made in Aussie so the claims might be a little over the top but Dave at All Marine who has a good knowledge of most things marinish said its what the commercial fishes use. Interesting that they say " does not void engine warranty", I bet some dealers would argue that! Best part is it dissolves whats in there to parts so small they will go through a filter, pump and injectors with no harm...yeah right.

Sounds like snake oil to me.

The shelves of suppliers are bulging with "add this and the world will be a better place" concoctions, just keep your diesel well supplied with good quality oil plenty of fresh cool air and clean fuel it is not rocket science.

• Upvote 1

The pressure gauge is a good idea, would show when the filter is needing a clean out. First course filter must be for water separation? Easy enough to create something like that and have a switch to hit every now and then to circulate a tank full of fuel through it. Problem(s) solved.

That looks nice

Be good to know what where and size .

I accidentally put about a litre of petrol in my diesel tank before realising my mistake. An engineery mate told me it would be okay, and probably good for the tank. He does it in his van every year or so. It was okay, so i luckily dodged a bullet there. I wonder if it inhibits the bug?

I accidentally put about a litre of petrol in my diesel tank before realising my mistake. An engineery mate told me it would be okay, and probably good for the tank. He does it in his van every year or so. It was okay, so i luckily dodged a bullet there. I wonder if it inhibits the bug?

How did the engine run!? Normally putting petrol in a diesel engine will DESTROY it! Being an ether, it burns uncontrolably and very fast with the engine reaching excessive revs and can not be shut off with the fuel pump. Did it once as a kid by accident with an old Fordson Major tractor. Only way I stoped it was stalling it in gear!