What have we forgotten?

What's the name of the sunbrella competitor Alan.

I don't know Steve. I just hear the conversations, but have no idea what they are talking about. The Reps are in each month and because of who the canvas guys are, they tend to get the first offers on good deals. Also because of who they are (used to be Brooks Brothers) they don't go down the road of using poor quality just to make the job cheap. So they are often discussing jobs and the fabrics that would suit and the only name I recognise then they are discussing is Sunbrella and if the material is better than or not for job x.

Small hijack, re materials, We have 2 sets of Gill OS2 wet weather gear, Heidi's hasn't been used much, as for mobility reasons she finds it difficult to get about on Gwalarn. I spent a couple of weeks at the Barrier easter / anzac day etc. and by mistake used her WW gear, I noticed lots of white flakes through the boat, thinking it was paint I looked everywhere, I couldn't find where it was from. I brought the gear home to rinse it in fresh water before putting it away, and found the white flakes were from a rubberised? membrane on the inside of outer layer of the jacket. Literally peeling off every time you moved. Probably 6 years old, used perhaps for 1 month total over that time. Been stored, clean , dry and covered when not in use. Not too impressed!! I'll be checking mine next time i'm onboard, can't imagine it will be any different.

An LED lantern we found really useful, would hang it from the boom for cockpit lighting but also leave it on in busy anchorage’s at night as masthead anchor light not visible from up close

https://marine-deals.freetls.fastly.net/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1b2e871699de66caea4208e2cf16bd73/l/c/lc001_1.jpg

You can’t take too many tools

Buckets

We used YNZ Cat 1 as a starting point, not that you will need it but it’s a good reference checklist

Fenders, you need heaps in the Med

Mooring lines, proper 3 ply stretchy ones, at least 4 and at least 1.5 x your boat length

Once you get to the Caribbean chandelier are really good for all the things you forgot, however once you start crossing to the western Caribbean and into the pacific you need to be really sorted so use the ditch as your shakedown cruise. That’s what we did.

One other thing we had was a battery powered sensor light that we would leave pointing out the companionway at night if we were off the boat or even asleep in a busy area

Not this one but something like this

https://www.1-day.co.nz/images/products/AACALN212_zoom.jpg?v=2f8505dd17f64bef8d31

Used to just leave it sitting on the table and as soon as anyone walked into the cockpit it would shine out the hatch, not sure if it scared anyone away but made the Admiral happy