Mechanical Failure

Why I thought it had been glassed was reading reports at the time and one from an “expert” in the US who knew the yacht said in his opinion the reason it disappeared was because it had been thin glassed. Someone above said they looked at the hull and could see the plank outlines, that doesn’t necessarily mean it wasn’t glassed as planks would show through glass anyway especially after a few years.

Would you not need to spline the joints before glassing ? that would help to reduce the amount of movement which as observed otherwise will defeat the purpose of glassing. I have also heard of people future proofing classic carvel boats by doing a double diagonal cold moulded skin over the planking.

Yes Frank that is the only way it will last, after first drying the hull thoroughly inside and out and splining her, glued up tight  you can skin them with one or more layers diagonal before glassing, we started this in the early eighties up north on a Falmouth Quay punt called Curlew that some of you may recall bailing her way here. Well after many years at the Falklands she is I believe in the Falmouth Maritime museum still tight as. :razz:  

• Upvote 1

hull planks are laid edge to edge and fastened to a robust frame, thereby forming a smooth surface. Traditionally the planks are neither attached to, nor slotted into, each other, having only a caulking sealant between the planks to keep water out. Modern carvel builders may attach the planks to each other with glues and fixings

300px-Clinker-carvel.svg.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carvel_(boat_building)