So one of these almost hit me yesterday out in the Waitemata....

That's what we need, more bureaucrats and enforcement officers running round telling us what to do all day issuing fines and notices, all boaties should be licenced and have to receive permission before embarking on any passage, it's a wonder the government hadn't got the process underway already.

• Upvote 1

Not suggesting that at all.

If the Harbour Master had a more visible presence possibly behaviour may well change.

Kind of like the looney behaviour one encounters on the road seeing that the police have backed away from being visible on the roads.

• Upvote 1

We all behave when we see a cop car,so visual on the water by authorities would make a difference too some. In general I think most of us abide by the rules and show some form of courtesy whether we are in the right or wrong .

There's an issue of caution on the part of the give-way vessel. What if you are aiming to miss by three feet but you get hit by a gust and round up? Happened to me -- I put a nice hole in the other boat just about midway down his cockpit. Now, in that case, both boats were racing and -- as the other skipper very graciously said -- sh*t happens when you race.

The OP presents a situation in which the racers, in my view, should have taken into account the possibility that wind and sea conditions might have caused a mishap involving a boat that was not part of their race. OTOH, perhaps the sea was dead flat and wind perfectly steady, in which NP. But even in that rare instance, I agree they should have been more cautious.

The most dangerous bit of boating I have seen was the harbour masters boat screaming up the inside of the pole berths going up the eastern side of the tamaki river, went past my moored boat no more than 3 metres away doing what looked like 30 knots. Didn’t really notice it coming until it was there , very dangerous if someone was heading ashore in a dinghy. Happened about 2 years ago , no idea what the rush was.

Harbour Master is one of the worst driven vessels I’ve ever seen both in terms of behaviour and attitude. They once tried to ticket me after a close encounter at 30+ kts when they failed to give way to me as stand-on vessel on converging courses. I had no option but to accelerate and pass ahead of them whereas they flagged me down and told me I should have dropped my speed right down, turned hard left and ducked under their stern. I told them they had stopped the wrong person because unlike most of their ‘victims’ I know the rules of the road and I pointed out:

1. I was stand-on vessel (on their starboard bow side) and they should have given way to me

2. Ducking their stern was near-impossible anyway as there were multiple other boats following close behind them (it was Sunday afternoon summer rush-hour back toward the Waitemata)

3. I had taken a video of their actions which I was about to send to the Harbour Master himself who was a colleague whom I had on speed-dial

At that point they backed down, put their ticket book away, wished us a pleasant afternoon and motored off.

• Upvote 4