Subletting Pile Moorings

Howdy,

In my search for a mooring I've come across a gentleman subletting a mooring for about $600 extra per year than he pays Auckland Transport, the owner of the mooring. The whole thing seems pretty shady to me, has avoided providing his lease agreement when I requested and wants a deposit of $120. Im extremely hesitant to send him a dime, but I don't want to be in a desperate position next year as I will be living aboard. On a personal level I'm tempted to just forward his emails to the Harbormaster, obviously profiteering off of moorings you don't own is a breach of his lease (if he actually holds one). Should I just walk away or is it worth letting the harbourmaster know..... Particularly annoys me because its people like him that make it very difficult for me to find somewhere to live on the water in Auckland. If he wasn't taking a profit I could care less about it. Rant over anyway, let me know your thoughts. 

43 minutes ago, NoMaker said:

Howdy,

In my search for a mooring I've come across a gentleman subletting a mooring for about $600 extra per year than he pays Auckland Transport, the owner of the mooring. The whole thing seems pretty shady to me, has avoided providing his lease agreement when I requested and wants a deposit of $120. Im extremely hesitant to send him a dime, but I don't want to be in a desperate position next year as I will be living aboard. On a personal level I'm tempted to just forward his emails to the Harbormaster, obviously profiteering off of moorings you don't own is a breach of his lease (if he actually holds one). Should I just walk away or is it worth letting the harbourmaster know..... Particularly annoys me because its people like him that make it very difficult for me to find somewhere to live on the water in Auckland. If he wasn't taking a profit I could care less about it. Rant over anyway, let me know your thoughts. 

I'd politely enquire with the Harbourmaster as to the legality of the arrangement. If you just take it there is a risk that you are forced to vacate unless the entire arrangement is sound.

On the other hand if he has had that mooring for a long time, and is currently boatless, but may buy one in a few years, then maybe he is doing you a favour letting you use it rather than just holding onto it and keeping it empty.

1 hour ago, ex Elly said:

On the other hand if he has had that mooring for a long time, and is currently boatless, but may buy one in a few years, then maybe he is doing you a favour letting you use it rather than just holding onto it and keeping it empty.

Doing me a favor by renting me a publicly owned asset at an inflated price and scraping some off the top to line his pockets. I suppose he could just keep it empty, but personally I think the harbormaster should cancel leases that aren't being used for say 12 months. Whats to say he doesnt have 10 or 15 pile moorings that he is collecting on....

I'd definitely call AT moorings. They are pretty helpful, but you will have to know with certainty which mooring number it is. There are limitations over how long you can own and rent a mooring out to someone else and i know where i live this caused a few harsh words. The situation u allude to is not uncommon and in ATs defence i think they do try to sweep the rats out from time to time. 

Is it a swing mooring or a fore n aft pile set up? I think that has a huge bearing on your questions - if piles, likely the super shitty owns em and the 'owners' gear is the rope connecting your boat to the floaty ring thing (and tbh - get your own. You don't want to go floating off up the creek one day because the ropes are knackered and let go while you are at school/work or asleep). If its a swing mooring or similar could be quite a different ownership situation.

I have a fore n aft weight /chain arrangement - I own the gear but 'lease' the space and it costs me $500/year to have my stuff inspected. If something wears out that adds to the cost.

If I wanted to rent my mooring out for a while I would want to cover the wear and tear too. So if he is charging you his lease cost plus wear and tear, surely thats not so bad is it?

20 minutes ago, NoMaker said:

Doing me a favor by renting me a publicly owned asset at an inflated price and scraping some off the top to line his pockets. I suppose he could just keep it empty, but personally I think the harbormaster should cancel leases that aren't being used for say 12 months. Whats to say he doesnt have 10 or 15 pile moorings that he is collecting on....

I kind of get what your saying but If you are interested, doesn't that equal "market rates"? 

Is there any difference to a retailer buying something wholesale and scraping some off the top to line his pockets?

Ultimately, if it upsets you couldn't you find another mooring?

Pretty sure live aboards in the river like to keep a low profile because officially it is not permitted and some of the surrounding houses are likely to moan to the council. Good to have them though as they keep an eye on security   etc. yes there is a lot of empty pile mooring that are not available. When I got one I went on a waiting list and was contacted by the council a month later  with a choice of 3. Think they are not supposed to be left empty for more than 6 months at a time. Might even be space to put in a new swing mooring somewhere there. 

18 hours ago, NoMaker said:

Howdy,

You want somewhere to moor a vessel?? Guess you are going to pay market rent then.So what if he makes a $$,what other options do you have??A marina at 10m (32'8")  $728.50 pm