SSANZ Triple Series 2022

10 hours ago, Jon said:

Seven in same division and they can ask for their own scoring within that Div or their own stand alone one

Personally I don't care if the 1020's get their own scoring or not.... BUT I hope we stay within the division for more competitive boat on boat racing with some other designs

2 hours ago, Cameron said:

Personally I don't care if the 1020's get their own scoring or not.... BUT I hope we stay within the division for more competitive boat on boat racing with some other designs

All good, Piedy’s want their own division, Y88’s are still getting organised 

If any other group want to get together we can do similar 

As Cam said, best race with others for the competition, but no drama to score any class or group over the series if there’s interest 

On 23/06/2022 at 11:08 AM, Psyche said:

Is there an amendment to the SI's? 

There is now: 
https://www.ssanz.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/2022-Triple-Series-Amendment-1-SI.pdf
They have switched Evolution Sails 2 and 3 in the SIs, to make it consistent with the NOR, Entry Guide, and Entry Form. Flag colours remain the same.

• Like 1

There appear to be a few rogue entries in Evolution Sails 2 division.
NOR states handicap should be less than 0.750.
But boats like Prowler, Omega, Bullistic, Favourite and others are well over 0.850!

We are having a meeting tonight so will identify these issues then contact entries over the next few days

Plus if you think your in the wrong division or just want to change for any reason, contact Neil or email racing@ssanz.co.nz 

The system is automated and generates your entry on the data you fill in, we can and do edit all entries as required, however it’s easier to do this once we get most entered

• Like 1
7 hours ago, ex Elly said:

There appear to be a few rogue entries in Evolution Sails 2 division.
NOR states handicap should be less than 0.750.
But boats like Prowler, Omega, Bullistic, Favourite and others are well over 0.850!

I think the horse has already bolted after they accepted entries for boats well over .750 last year... ie Rouge, Boogie Flash, Favourite and Zealous.

My suspicion is SSANZ will split the Evolution Sails Division 2 in half trying to have boats most similar in performance in each half.

It's interesting how the shortest course option for most boats is the most popular....

47 minutes ago, Cameron said:

I think the horse has already bolted after they accepted entries for boats well over .750 last year... ie Rouge, Boogie Flash, Favourite and Zealous.

My suspicion is SSANZ will split the Evolution Sails Division 2 in half trying to have boats most similar in performance in each half.

It's interesting how the shortest course option for most boats is the most popular....

Decision just been made, it’s an open division so won’t be split, if you want to change let us know as per above

Next year we may have under 12.5m short course and over 11.5m medium course as this seems clearly to be what’s wanted, but it’s too late to change now that people have entered.

Being over popular is a problem that we just need to suffer I guess

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Cameron said:

The other reason boats may be entering this division is because no PHRF is required.

So to prevent this division becoming overloaded, SSANZ could either:
 a) require PHRFs for all divisions
 b) allow boats in longer divisions to use previous/expired PHRFs.

Think the Evolution div 1 and 2 wording actually refers back when there was separate 'light' and 'heavy' small boat and wording never got changed when numbers caused the two divisions to merge.

From memory, Open came in because of so many boats feeling the need to have a general handicap below 0.75 and the conclusion was it's easiest just to have a separate open division with no limit.

I see there’s a few PHRF applications in with YNZ but these boats haven’t entered yet.

Enter now as YNZ have promised to get all these processed by Thursday, you don’t need your cert at time of entry.

If you still wish to apply do it today and Mark will work overtime I’m sure, but tomorrow will be cutting it fine

9 hours ago, Psyche said:

I'll take a guess that most of the boats only use PHRF for SSANZ, none of the clubs use it for harbour racing.

Squaddie does PHRF results as well as PHS

12 hours ago, ex Elly said:

The other reason boats may be entering this division is because no PHRF is required.

So to prevent this division becoming overloaded, SSANZ could either:
 a) require PHRFs for all divisions
 b) allow boats in longer divisions to use previous/expired PHRFs.

Using previous/expired PHRF's is definitely not an option! PHRF's are only relevant to each other for a given year. There was a time a few years back YNZ reset/recalibrated basically all PHRF's so numbers prior to this date with have zero relevance

Jon’s right.  As part of the PHRF committee we have a system in place this week to quickly review and process the applications that are coming through, under the watchful eye of Mark.  So don’t let that stop you entering the triple series today (Wednesday).  Looks like a great fleet for Saturday already.

On 28/06/2022 at 10:56 AM, Psyche said:

I'll take a guess that most of the boats only use PHRF for SSANZ, none of the clubs use it for harbour racing.

Need it for coastal too. Not all the boats do both SSANZ and coastal but plenty do. 

Not sure about gold cup, maybe need it for that too?

9 hours ago, raz88 said:

Need it for coastal too. Not all the boats do both SSANZ and coastal but plenty do. 

Not sure about gold cup, maybe need it for that too?

It has its shortcomings but it makes it way easier for the handicappers to have a number to bang in to the system rather than pulling a number out of the hat based on hearsay or guess work . 

On 27/06/2022 at 8:39 PM, Jon said:

Decision just been made, it’s an open division so won’t be split, if you want to change let us know as per above

Next year we may have under 12.5m short course and over 11.5m medium course as this seems clearly to be what’s wanted, but it’s too late to change now that people have entered.

Being over popular is a problem that we just need to suffer I guess

Crazy to have 44 boats in one division, when all other divisions have between 6 and 18 boats.
Last year there were 2 divisions based on boat length: 'Baltic 4 10.4 or Less' and 'Baltic 4 10.41 or More'.

Is it possible to split this division now?