Who's throwing rubbish overboard

Came home after 2 weeks with 3 rubbish bags, 2 of them packaging alone. Way way to much money, space, resources are wasted by packaging and we are letting manufacturers or their marketing depts be totally irresponsible.

From what I saw boaties were pretty damn good out there. A few plastic bags and bottles and strangely a huge pile of lettuce leaves, huge pile, but otherwise good to go.

Lettuce leaves, yeah my rabbit had a meltdown one night after we'd drunk the 3rd bottle of Mt Gay. Got in a punch up with the turtle then threw all his dinner over the side. That could be it?

Having to store and bring home Rubbish as in Plastic wrapping is a pain on the Boat. In fact it often seems that we collect and store more plastic than we brought out wrapped around the food.

Bring back the days that you'd have a fire on the beach

Drink quarte bottles that you cooled in the sea, then took home to swap,

And burnt the paper and cardboard that everything came wrapped in.

What do I see in the way of rubbish in the Sandspit estuary?

Mainly fishing line caught in seaweed and plastic bait bags.

But there’s probably lots not seen….

Try untangling a frightened and biting shag from fishing line caught round its feet and wings-not for the fainthearted!

Pretty ghastly seeing a shag hanging in their breeding tree alongside the channel, its neck caught up in fishing line, or finding a gannet corpse with a large hook down inside its stomach.

Aluminium cans, bits of solid plastic rubbish, pieces of timber, tantalised and not- washed up on really hightides into the saltmarsh. Some appears to be of boat origin and some from the land.

Recently a large battery floated past my boat. Car or boat origin?

Does toxic waste from boat maintenance count as rubbish? Can’t see it, but tests show high cadmium content near the boatyard.

Recently a large battery floated past my boat. Car or boat origin?

:?: :crazy:

Ain't no Cadmium in Boats either. If there is Cadmium in the Silt, I would suggest it would be a good idea to dig the Silt up and shift it. But then you end up with a Hole and what to do with a Hole. Hmmm, be a good case for creating a Marina. Someone should look into that.

Allways after heavy rain our local beach is covered in rubbish, cans , plastic, shoes, road cones,signs,trees, possums even occasionally a cow! Pretty clear that most comes from the land via the near by stream.I see people park by the sea to eat takeaways, near a bin, they open the car door , drop the rubbish on the ground and drive off. Councils need to start enforcing/ issuing $200 fines for littering as they do for parking infringements.

Western food packing is a crime]

One word solution - Tupperware. All our food on the boat (and at home) is stored in Tupperware. The only packaging we carry on board is bottles, tin cans and chip or cracker packets. All dried foods (cereals, rice, bread crumbs, coffee, ect), meat and vegetables are stored in good quality reusable plastic containers (Tupperware). Not only does this cut down on rubbish on board the boat but storage is easier with everything in modular and regular shaped containers and we have less wastage with (especially) vegetables and fruit spoiling. On a four week cruise the only perishable food we replace is the stuff we run out of, we have had occasions where containers with vegetables in have not been used at the end of the trip and are taken home to be consumed. We only drink beer, wine and rum from bottles, which I smash over the stern when in 40m+ of water. Mixers for the rum and soft drinks for the kids are supplied by the Soda Stream machine we have on board. Our last Xmas trip (which was four weeks) we produced 2 1/2 normal size rubbish sacks of waste, which I thought was not a bad effort for a family of five.

There are many more excellent advantages to using this particular product which I could go into but I don't want to make this post start to sound like an advertisement :) Happy to talk more if you want to pm me

Fleetwing, I agree, sodastreams are great. We make extensive use of ours, especially tonic and lemonade (for the Gin!)..

Tupperware - don't know that our stuff is tupperware, but I use heaps of the plastic containers with the clip seal lids - the ones with 4 clips are better than the ones with 2. Food, parts, lots of stuff in those...

Island Time, doesn't sound like Tupperware as Tupperware doesn't have clips. The thing that sets this product apart from other (yes cheaper) options is that it seals air and water tight which is great in the fridge/freezer as you don't have to stack it up right to prevent leaks. The other selling point for me is it has a life time guarantee which I have used many times when lids have split (some 20+ years old). Well worth the investment and wouldn't use anything else.

For a 50 year old Kauri boat we have more plastic on board than an average GRP boat :lol:

I don't chuck anything overboard as practice. I have jettisoned a broken bottle or two from a small open boat on safety grounds.

Best plastic boxes, IMHO, are these from Monbento. They stack perfectly (+++), are completely sealed (hermetically) using a nifty lipped o-ring - I can carry soup in my school bag in one. No extra wrapping needed. Rugged - still seals well after falling on my bag slipping off the icy platform while trying to board the train; broke my computer in the fall. Kind of expensive, though. Originally French but I think they've moved prod. to China now :(

Available in a wide range of colours to suit any boat :)

bento-mon-bento-original-rouge-01_2.jpg

bento-mon-bento-original-rouge-02_1.jpg

Archived