AC45 photos

SloopJohnB

Bringing her in must have been exciting but they didn't seem to have too many problems. Would be interesting in any serious wind.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the fastest sailboat in Auckland now? A 45 foot super-low-displacement wing sail cat or a 60 foot slightly-higher-displacement fabric sail tri? :? And will the cat be doing any Wednesdays? :D

I count three on board

There's four on board isn't there? (see other photos for clearer view)

I have to admit that it does look pretty damn close to being the ducks nuts. Would be a seriously exciting ride by the looks of it.

I still have to wonder about whether even a fleet of these beasts will capture the public's imagination and generate the serious interest and involvement that we had a decade or so ago. It'd be cool if it happens, but most NZers seem to have a serious case of the meh's when it comes to America's Cup these days (myself included).

under what conditions? The optimal conditions the cat was designed for or the optimal conditions the tri was design for?

under Wednesday night conditions of 8-15 knots, too much tide and lots of speedbumps in the way.

ScottiE - Well not sure the AC45 will be doing the Round Australia any time soon so what about a Wednesday night with wind in the teens and fairly smooth water.

They just took the wing down. How on earth they would do that in any sort of blow... well I suppose they know what they're doing, and it's been done before with smaller cats.

under Wednesday night conditions of 8-15 knots, too much tide and lots of speedbumps in the way.

you'd have to back the cat then surely? - should point higher in the light breeze with so much less drag and then as the breeze dies and the tri sits back down on her main hull. 15ft though is quite a bit to give away.

G3 (TVS) will seriously have there hands full trying to keep pace with the AC45 in Typical auckland Harbour wednesday night conditions.

the power to weight ratio of the cat is just mind bogglingly high !

I'd expect the cat will need a gennaker to go downwind in the light though (not sure that they have one sorted yet)

you'd have to say that under 10kts the 45 would be all over the 60. But who knows, would be nice to see them race on the same course. Two completely different sets of gear though. Like comapring the kite boards to hydroptere.....

Archived