Landlubber Questions

Outdoors girl at work wanted to go for a sail, said she wasnt afraid to up the mast (you know, look for the wind...) we told her it was known as a pole, and no, she couldnt dance on it.

I used to help out crew on a prominent Akl charter type vessel (with mast and sails) and we used to get lots of business do type charters where they would arrive pretty much straight from work i.e. PA's, secretaries and the like in suit like outfits with mini skirts. After a few bevies had been consumed (by them knot us, we had to stay dry) we'd 'Hoist the Skirt'. One of us would climb up the ratlines on some boat business of course, usually just straighten the flag or something. As soon as we did that many of the punters wanted to have a crack also, which we knew would happen, it always did. You can probably now guess why we referred to it as 'hoist the skirt'. Many did climb and I must say at times it was a wonderful thing, especially one evening when about 1/2 up one cutie realised she'd gone commando that day :) :) :)

Just to summarise for Grifter ;) -

'Hoist the Skirt' - a nautical term meaning it's time for the crew to have some fun and a perv at the expense of the charter punters. Knot used often but can be very entertaining when it is.

Leech

A crewmember that never seems to have a dime when its time to pay for drinks or meals

Luff

The Front part of a sail that everyone but the helmsman seems to pay attention to

(see also Telltales)

Luff up

Something racers do to each other to catch the back of the fleet

Head

(See Stern Pulpit)

Halyard

Something that only jams or breaks when you're winning

Sheet

A line made to rip gloves or hands apart. Has ability to tangle on anything.

Bow

The part of the boat that no one should have to work on.

Temporary section of an offshore Catamaran

Backstay

The last thing to grab as your falling overboard

Stem Fitting

The hole made in a competitors boat when your helmsman misjudges a Port / Starboard crossing

Snatch Block

Men use to spend a lot of time at sea. They must have been shaped very differently in those days.

Hatch

A hole to fall into

Companionway

Another name for a hole to fall into

Heave to

Newcommers quite often find themselves heaving too

Anchor

The thing rotting in the bilge of every racing yacht (unseen)

Sewerman

A sailor that has a fetish for wet soggy nylon

Foreguy

First guy to the bar

Afterguy

Last guy out of the bar

Lazy Guy

Most YachtRacers when they're not Racing (if this one offends you, please leave)

Winch

A thing you grind till it squeals

Wench

A thing you grind till it squeals

Keel

A very heavy depthsounder only used on Unamarans(monohulls)

Interior

A term not used in conjuction with racing yachts

Comfort

Another term not used in conjunction with racing yachts

Bunk

A small uncomfortable area for wet sailors to attempt sleep

Inside Overlap

The part of a race that resembles a political debate

Round Up

Easiest way to get the oncoming watch on deck

Round Down

A bad, bad thing for a bowman out on the spinnaker pole

Gybe Set

A great way to end up on Port Tack right in front of the whole Fleet thats approaching the mark on Starboard

Pop the Chute

The sound a Poly Chute makes just as it blows apart(see America One)

Cunningham

A Sly Pig or a complicated term for a downhaul

Tactician

A kind term for a Smart Ass or Arrogant SOB or Dumb Ass or Lucky SOB

Helmsman

The nut attached to the rudder through a steering mechanism

....and just to point out how far this goes...and yes it is real..

you may have an interesting time if you said that this weekend you where going to be

"laying and parceling the c**t lines and then using the black"

It actualy means to place a small piece of twine into the gap between the twist of a strandard rope. bind around the rope, and then paint it with tar to presserve it.

A very common job in the days of working sailing boats.

It means a fine adjustment of the sails i.e. bring them in or let them out a little bit.

Has nothing to do with scissors or sewing machines :wink:

Hugely disappointed, Farrari. Massive missed opportunity.

It means a fine adjustment of the sails i.e. bring them in or let them out a little bit.

So, as a general rule, as long as I follow this guide I should be fine? As in, any time I tack or jibe, as long as I get the sail into the position that they need to be while turning the boat, then it's all good, right? I shouldn't capsize? points%20of%20sail.gif

as long as I get the sail into the position that they need to be while turning the boat, then it's all good, right? I shouldn't capsize?

Ummmmmm ...... :problem:

I wouldn't go so far as to say that.

Don't concern yourself with capsizing .... notwithstanding recent events at BOI, capsizing of large yachts is not a common occurrence and with sailing dinghies, its not biggie anyway.

Capsizing has little to do with how your sails are trimmed really ...... its got more to do with appropriate amounts of sail area and the right sails for the conditions, along with the way the boat is trimmed and steered. There are many different aspects at play and its very difficult to explain in words ... you really need to get out on a variety of different boats and get a feel for it. Kinda like riding a bicycle ... you can read about it all you like, but you still have to actually get on a bike and give it a go in order to learn how to do it.

Ha, I remember contemplating this same question when filling out the "max speed" question on the insurance form for my boat:

- are they asking for the max speed that the boat is capable of in bursts e.g. on a big wave, carrying what is probably too much sail for the conditions and often ending in a wipeout

- or the max speed that it could be expected to deliver on a more sustainable basis and across more conditions, without overly exerting gear or crew?

A case could be made for either answer but I would say you could consider what is shown on that listing to be a very honest answer and one is unlikely to lead to a buyer being disappointed further down the track.

Certainly if you are looking at family cruising/passage-making, you will find yourself more often working on equations like: "it's x miles from Kawau to the Barrier and we average y knots, what time to we need to leave so that we know we will arrive with sufficient daylight?".

But as always, ask the broker/seller how they arrived at that figure and satisfy yourself as to whether it's suitable for what you have in mind.

The state of the boat makes a big difference too - there is probably 1.5 knots difference to the average speed of our Y88 between race mode and its overloaded state over Christmas (full water and diesel tanks, food and grog, way too much gear and towing a dinghy or two).

Edit: Doh! Just clicked through to that pdf - the reference to 6.5 knots is sitting within a section that relates to the engine, I would guess that it was intended to mean max motoring speed.

'Max speed' usually refers to maximum speed while motoring. A Tracker will sail faster than 6.5kts.

On that PDF is also 'Cruising speed', that usually is the speed at which you would expect if motoring for a ways.

So you can assume if you need to get somewhere in a hurry and are motoring only, if you put the hammer down you'll get 6.5kts but if say you're heading to Kawau 5kts is the speed to work on so the motor isn't screaming it's ring piece off and drinking 20lts a mile.

Those speeds would be assuming the boat has a clean bum. 6 months growth and it will be slower.

But what Murky said probably isn't far off the case when talking Trackers. I'd credit Trackers being faster under sail than him though. But don't work on the same theory with all boats, it just so happens to sort of fit with Trackers and a few others similar but in most cases it would be wrong. My R930 has a max speed under motor of 8kts (most more 6.5-7) and a cruising of 6kts but she's easily sail a lot faster than that. Y88's are pig slow under motor yet can sail a lot faster.

Those Tracker numbers would also apply to most boats of that vintage generally and aren't what you would call 'slow' nor 'fast' even by todays standards really. Theses days they are a little quicker but bugger all in the big scheme of things.

Brass Monkeys

It was necessary to keep a good supply of cannon balls near the cannon on old war ships.. But how to prevent them from rolling about the deck was the problem. The storage method devised was to stack them as a square based pyramid, with one ball on top, resting on four, resting on nine, which rested on sixteen. Thus, a supply of 30 cannon balls could be stacked in a small area right next to the cannon. There was only one problem -- how to prevent the bottom layer from sliding/rolling from under the others. The solution was a metal plate with 16 round indentations, called, for reasons unknown, a Monkey.. But if this plate were made of iron, the iron balls would quickly rust to it.. The solution to the rusting problem was to make them of brass - hence, Brass Monkeys.

Few landlubbers realize that brass contracts much more and much faster than iron when chilled..

Consequently, when the temperature dropped too far, the brassindentations would shrink so much that the iron cannon balls would come right off the monkey.

Thus, it was quite literally, cold enough to freeze the balls off abrass monkey. And all this time, people thought that was just a vulgar expression? You must send this fabulous bit of historical knowledge to at least a few intellectual friends.

blimin interesting stuff on this thread.

and entertaining, thanks for asking the question grifter. fascinating what comes out from some questions.

Will a Tracker 7.7 really sail faster than 6.5kts Murky. I can appreciate a y88 and ross930 doing so but will a tracker get up and boogie downwind (I presume this is what you mean). I haven't actually sailed a tracker myself, you seem to be speaking from experience. Genuinely curious if i have mis-categorised a tracker as being very much a displacement boat. ie. 6.5 knots is about the max hull speed for a 7.7m boat (6.7 actually).

iv sailed a tracker for all of 2 days. during those days we had the reckless rat up to 10 knots...i was near shitting myself and iv sent a young 11 at 22 knots, a farr 727 at 16 and a stewart 34 at 16...and those were constants.. all depends on the look on the skippers face. when he looks relaxed you should possibly be relaxed too. if a crew member way more experienced than you is holding on with white knuckles you should probably be changing your undies.

Archived