2 hours ago, Psyche said:

Anyone know what the owners plans are if he gets it floating again? Its a pretty big hole in the water

The owner is a surfer, not a sailor (his words). You can tell by the light line he used to moor this piece of sh*t. Anyway, the story is he wants to use it for surfing safari's, to drop surfers off just outside the break. He said yesterday that, if it had not broken it's piece of ridiculously light mooring line (my words) he was going to take it back around to Gulf Harbour today to install a new engine.

There is a whole bunch of questions around this. I've no idea what it's stability would be like sans keel and mast. Esp in any sort of sea way. It wasn't antifouled, and never had been. Ever. Obviously as an AC boat it was dry raced.

If he wants to do surfing safari's to make money, he'd need to get the boat up to survey. I'd imagine that costs more than the hulk cost to buy. Not sure why he wouldn't have just got a boat in working order?

He can't be short of money, as he commented he has a new race car arriving this week.

Last I saw last night they were trying to get it off with a jet ski, anyone know if it was successful?

From a story about NZL14 in Queenstown.

If Mike Parker has all the gear to refit NZL 14, I'm a bit surprised he tried using a 15mm mooring line on NZL 20. May as well have used fishing braid. Entirely inappropriate mooring line, and this who palava could have been easily avoided with bit of 30mm line and proper chafe gaurding. The bit on the bowsprit the line goes over appears to have good anti-skid on it, i.e. the best sandpaper you can get.

Auckland yachtie Mike Parker, who tells Scene he recently purchased another America’s Cup boat, NZL20, also known as Black Magic, says the decision’s ‘‘insanity’’.

He says he put in an EOI for NZL14, visited the resort twice to look it over and put his engineers over it to make sure it could be restored.

If he’d been successful, he planned to fix it to preserve the ‘‘masterpiece of engineering and design’’, and put it back into charter on Lake Whakatipu.

‘‘What it takes just to build these boats and race them, I can’t even tell you, they’re like Formula Ones.

‘‘It looked rough, but it could go back [on] the water.’’

He contends he’s got ‘‘all the parts’’ required to fix it, including new sails and rigging, but council didn’t come back to negotiate with him, ‘‘they turned it down and decided it was better just to get rid of it’’.

‘‘It’s just madness … it’s just so irresponsible.’’

NZL14’s legal scrap | www.scene.co.nz

Yes he is known to many around the waterfront , Re NZL20 as a viewing platform like Cloudbreak she will need a much larger anchor set up, and no one has told them that to be self propelled there is no where to bolt the outboard!!

4 hours ago, K4309 said:

The owner is a surfer, not a sailor (his words). You can tell by the light line he used to moor this piece of sh*t. Anyway, the story is he wants to use it for surfing safari's, to drop surfers off just outside the break. He said yesterday that, if it had not broken it's piece of ridiculously light mooring line (my words) he was going to take it back around to Gulf Harbour today to install a new engine.

There is a whole bunch of questions around this. I've no idea what it's stability would be like sans keel and mast. Esp in any sort of sea way. It wasn't antifouled, and never had been. Ever. Obviously as an AC boat it was dry raced.

If he wants to do surfing safari's to make money, he'd need to get the boat up to survey. I'd imagine that costs more than the hulk cost to buy. Not sure why he wouldn't have just got a boat in working order?

He can't be short of money, as he commented he has a new race car arriving this week.

Last I saw last night they were trying to get it off with a jet ski, anyone know if it was successful?

Ferro used to be the choice of shoestring surfers heading to the Pacific for waves

Mr Hunt is well meaning, as I am sure Mr Parker is. I hope this has a good resolution and it's a very pretty hull but I am not sure that these gents have a solid grasp of what it takes.

• Upvote 1

A couple of yrs ago went on the Explorer Americas cup boats, think it was the German one that never made it to the start. What a wonderful experience. Unfortunately due to the size of them you don't appreciate the speed they are capable of. Must look out for another Grabone voucher. Saves about $90.

As far as turning one in to a surfer chaser boat experience he would be better off get a launch with a bloody big cockpit like pursuit.

image.jpeg.3943e9e68907a56ef14c6eca58bb1573.jpeg

NZL20 is being moved.

Is being towed by a jetski. In the general direction of Mahurangi at the moment, assuming it isn't going to be scuttled, which is probably not that bad an option.

PS, using a telescope to see what is going on, so phone photos are somewhat pointless.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1