"Topsides" - NZ v Rest of the World

Lazy Sunday arvo, and just thought I'd raise a topic that has intrigued me for years.
I grew up in a non-yachting family, never belonged to a yacht club, not part of the boat building or design scene in NZ any way....I learnt nautical terms from overseas books, American and British, some European, and in all the overseas literature 'topsides' are the sides of the boat above the water line, ie the sides of the hull above the water.

In NZ I have come to realise when sailors and boatbuilders talk about 'topsides' they are talking about the deck and or cabin.

This has lead to some amusing moments in the past when I have been talking to kiwi sailors before we finally figure out we are talking about two different areas of a boat.

• Haha 1

Topsides,from the waterline to deck joint imo ,deck is deck and cabinsides coamings top of cabin coachroof,then a bit confusion.The raised bits around the cockpit that hold winches etc are coaming too

Probably incorrect though

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Here is a case in point on this Trademe advert:

"The topsides are suffering from a lack of paint and varnish and while retrievable at the moment, it is sacrilege for me to let her languish much longer"

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/listing/4295481284

He's definitely meaning the cabin / cabinsides, but refers to them as topsides....

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Zozza said:

Here is a case in point on this Trademe advert:

"The topsides are suffering from a lack of paint and varnish and while retrievable at the moment, it is sacrilege for me to let her languish much longer"

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/listing/4295481284

He's definitely meaning the cabin / cabinsides, but refers to them as topsides....

lets see what he comes back with,asked the question🤣

• Haha 1

and same with full keel....my boat technically has a long fin keel with a cut away forefoot, but you rarely will see that description given...

and then we have "rope" v "line".  

"rode v scope"

"Roe v Wade"....woops - wrong forum. :-)

On 28/08/2023 at 8:29 AM, Ex Machina said:

I got lambasted on SA by a Texan boatbuilder for using the term pushpit . Apparently they called it the aft pulpit/aft safety rail or some other things. He really hurt my feelings 

Not surprised.   I gave up on SA long time ago. It is the wild west of the Web in my view. No wonder a Texan feels at home there. 

Nautical terms are intended to be clear and definitive to avoid confusion.  Hence, there are no ropes on a boat. But when you broach and are laying on your  topsides you are also laying on your beam ends. 

4 hours ago, Addem said:

Not surprised.   I gave up on SA long time ago. It is the wild west of the Web in my view. No wonder a Texan feels at home there. 

Nautical terms are intended to be clear and definitive to avoid confusion.  Hence, there are no ropes on a boat. But when you broach and are laying on your  topsides you are also laying on your beam ends. 

There 7 ropes on a sailing ship,1 is a bell rope, buggered if I can remember the rest. Arr bolt rope ,the rope sewn in to foot of sail that slides along boom,foot rope on a yard.most are from sailing ships,Learnt it at sea scouts 45 yr ago.might have to google it

I'm constantly offended by the use of the word "yacht" when describing those bloody big stink pots that seem to be in favour by the wealthy and tasteless morons. 

IMHO yachts have sticky up things - you know - sail poles.

I'd like to blame the USAeans for it but I'm not sure that other northern hemisphere twats didnt start it.

• Upvote 2

There are indeed 7 ropes: per https://classic-sailing.com/article/how-many-ropes-boat/.

Bell rope

Bolt rope

Tow rope

Foot rope

Man rope

Top rope

Heel rope.

A Cunningham is not a downhaul. A downhaul is used to pull down a yard. The Cunningham (designed by a kiwi) is used to tighten the bottom luff of a sail. 

The other duplication terms developed due to local usage.

Boom vang appears to be a Dutch term (where we get lots of sailing terms) and Kicking strap an English one- both meaning to stop the boom from kicking up. 

• Upvote 1

Yacht is Dutch for fast ship (another Dutch word) and i understand that Americans began using 'sail boat' to distinguish from steamers. So yacht started to be reserved luxury or racing classes. English were more traditional and stuck the older usages. Something like that. 

3 hours ago, Addem said:

Yacht is Dutch for fast ship (another Dutch word) and i understand that Americans began using 'sail boat' to distinguish from steamers. So yacht started to be reserved luxury or racing classes. English were more traditional and stuck the older usages. Something like that. 

Actually Yacht comes from Jacht which is dutch for "hunt" (if you go back far enough "hunt" and "jacht" are actually the same word, the sound just gradually changed apart in English and Dutch).

The very first boats used exclusively for pleasure/leisure in the Netherlands rather than for commercial, military or transport purposes were for wealthy people to go hunting (mostly shooting ducks). So hunting boats were the only pleasure craft and the name eventually stuck to all pleasure craft, then got adopted into English because we didn't have our own word for pleasure craft.

... back on topic, Topsides are only the sides between the waterline and the bulwarks or toe rail. Definitely cannot include decks or coachroof.

• Like 2