Dodger fugly or not

ynot

Trying to decide if it is to big width wise eg looks fugly. 

I'm a little stuck between being very small and only over companion way or make it wide and then I can sit beside sheet winches while sailing and be almost covered. 

My comings to not line up with cabintop sides and flare out a long way hence the width at the back. 

Ugly or not what do ya think. 

Any input appreciated

Thanks 

DSC_1604.JPG

DSC_1601.JPG

DSC_1599.JPG

DSC_1600.JPG

There are several elements I like about it.

Artisticly it says "Open 60" bigly, so if you are trying to channel the hard-arsed lunatic shorthanded Breton crowd, you are doing well.

I like that it has low visual impact because you've made it out of a clear material, not the classic navy blue sunbrella plonked on top of an otherwise nicely proportioned white cabintop.

The size looks practical and functional. It 'fits' the width of the cockpit.

The only question I'd have is if it's high enough to work the cabin top winches, and for getting down the hatch without having to bend double.

What have you made it out of? Frame and material? Is the material just a pattern fabric? It is certainly an interesting concept going for a fully clear dodgy. I like that idea.

too deep (fore and aft), too low - how are you ever going to manage those cabintop winches and clutches?  And, as BP notes, the flat rear bow is just asking for it to buckle under a light load.

I do like the full clears look though - done right it would be easy to give the impression the dodger isn't there

The clutches can be worked... Just enough for a winch handle but when cruising mode the big electric winch does every thing. 

Not trying to emulate any open 60 stuff it just seemed to fall into place at that shape,but yes does look that way. 

Made of super strong electrical conduit and painters drop sheet... Wonder if I'll stand the test of time.......... 

53 minutes ago, aardvarkash10 said:

too deep (fore and aft), too low - how are you ever going to manage those cabintop winches

I hear ya... When cruzy mode never use extras but if I did they sheet across to headsail winches.... See other comment about electric. 

I really would love it taller but bom may dictate that. 

Guess could always cruz with the flattening reef which lifts it a little. 

Bloody compromises 

• Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, ynot said:

The clutches can be worked... Just enough for a winch handle but when cruising mode the big electric winch does every thing. 

Not trying to emulate any open 60 stuff it just seemed to fall into place at that shape,but yes does look that way. 

Made of super strong electrical conduit and painters drop sheet... Wonder if I'll stand the test of time.......... 

What's the name of the electrical conduit, or do you have a link to the supplier? All the stuff I've looked at it way to wobble / weak. Planning out how to build a new dodger, so this would be ideal.

If it was me, if you are going to the trouble then make it work for you so that if its raining or too sunny you have protection, maybe in combo with a bimini?. Otherwise just have it cover the companion way so that you can have the hatch open when parked in the rain. Also as a cruiser for the fam, a carbon/foam hard dodger would be high on the list, the boat has enough length and freeboard to carry it off.

29 minutes ago, K4309 said:

What's the name of the electrical conduit, or do you have a link to the supplier? All the stuff I've looked at it way to wobble / weak. Planning out how to build a new dodger, so this would be ideal.

Ahhh yeah it's a mock up. 

Best way I could think of to do it relatively cheap. 

And yup electrical conduit is more pricey than ya would like or expect when paying retail. 

Normally I keep plenty from demo jobs but got sick of throwing it out so stopped keeping it. 

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, ynot said:

I hear ya... When cruzy mode never use extras but if I did they sheet across to headsail winches.... See other comment about electric. 

I really would love it taller but bom may dictate that. 

Guess could always cruz with the flattening reef which lifts it a little. 

Bloody compromises 

I like it, looks good. 

Rather than flattening reef, if you have any room in the luff, could float the tack up a little with a strop or similar?

5 hours ago, raz88 said:

I like it, looks good. 

Rather than flattening reef, if you have any room in the luff, could float the tack up a little with a strop or similar?

Idea... but not much room for that. 

Maybe get me scissors out and choppy chop 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Romany said:

Minor drift here but can anybody give recommendations on who to talk to about making a dodger for me?

Auckland area.

Do you mean stainless steel frame, or canvas and clears, or both?

24 minutes ago, ynot said:

Just bent my own 1" stainless... Came up mint without even filling with sand but the radius was pretty big. 

Just takes a bit of thought and measuring.... Oh and a trial piece. 

DSC_1629.JPG

DSC_1626.JPG

So are you just bending it by hand? Or are you using some tools?

I assume you have made the curves you want out of that timber, and are bending it to that?

4 hours ago, K4309 said:

So are you just bending it by hand? Or are you using some tools?

I assume you have made the curves you want out of that timber, and are bending it to that?

Yep used that form and bent by hamd.. Only had to use an extension bar once when the tail got short. 

I used my mockup pvc to make to jog about right and marked 100 mm graduations along it after the main bend and used the opposite direction to create the bow bit by bit. 

I brought t 6m lengths of stainless so had plenty of leverage but a bit wasteful... Anyway had to try it and it worked. 

I'm sure if I went for a tighter radius I think sand filling would be required to stop kinks in this form. Of Bending or maybe a groove in the form and the opposite on a roller with lever on the outside. 

I practiser with aluminum tube first cause I have it. 

Easier to bend than ya think. 

Make sure to clamp the offside to the table so it doesn't roll. 

Oh and don't slip and hit ya head on the drill press.... Duh.... And knocked me bloody beer off it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1