A new Rapido 40

Just now, MartinRF said:

This is supposed to be a sailing forum and all you discuss is motors of various types...

:-)

/Martin

Well I worked out it costs me €1 per NM to sail and about 80c per mile to motor…

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, DrWatson said:

Well I worked out it costs me €1 per NM to sail and about 80c per mile to motor…

Sail wear?

6 hours ago, DrWatson said:

In all seriousness, I was warned of this.  By the time you include sails, standing and running rigging and associated guff, the cost of free wind energy is more than the cost of cash-paid carbon

But then shutting the motor off gives us a rush of feel goods. Just how do you put a dollar value on that? Motoring is like the dentist, or a prostate check; one of those unpleasant necessities. If you want to reach certain point in a certain time, you need to tolerate using your motor. Very occasionally I love my motor and am thankful for its unceasing reliability but mostly I’d prefer it to be barely seen and definitely not heard. Charging my batteries has nothing to do with the smelly, noisy motor, it’s the alternator. Quiet, powerful, and very humble. You didn’t know that?

Conversely When I get a new sail I feel like a kid with a new toy an cannot stop admiring it. Do I have a problem?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3
3 hours ago, aardvarkash10 said:

In all seriousness, I was warned of this.  By the time you include sails, standing and running rigging and associated guff, the cost of free wind energy is more than the cost of cash-paid carbon

It is just like fishing.

The most expensive way of catching free food.

• Upvote 2
13 hours ago, K4309 said:

It is just like fishing.

The most expensive way of catching free food.

Sailing is the most expensive way to go somewhere slowly…

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, Guest said:

Conversely When I get a new sail I feel like a kid with a new toy a cannot stop admiring it. Do I have a problem?

Nah, no idea what you’re talking about….

IMG_4123.jpeg

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, DrWatson said:

Sailing is the most expensive way to go somewhere slowly…

But also one of the most pleasing ways to go somewhere.

Btw, it is not uncommon for me to out-pace sailboats motoring -- even to windward.

/Martin

• Upvote 1