New shiny red boat just turned up at Pier 21

Murky

jesus, how would that rudder handle a big round up with the kite on in 25kts

It wasn't you was it Jordan? Did you swipe the other half of that rudder to put on your mini?

There is definately at least half of it missing :crazy:

Guest Saturday Night Special

Obviously you did not see the foils on NZL:380 then they were larger than standard which gave the boat more bite these look to small

Welcome to how foils should look fellas... Deep and skinny. None of this grader stuff.

Yeah yeah, faster faster leading edge and all that, still looks like someone took the tyres off a Suzuki Swift and put them on a V8 Commodore.

It is a very high aspect ratio rudder

Fair to say Ray is no Pony, neither is Davie Norris, or the guys from R/P Yacht Design, or anyone else involved with the project so i cant imagine the foils are a problem to be honest. I think we will find the boat will perform very nicely.

Guest Rocket

I wonder about small profile rudders and wheels. My experience is that small foils on the end of a tiller are fine but with a wheel it is harder to feel the rudder bite again post round-up. Prob why TP52s have tillers (don't they?)

We started off small on the karma then went bigger just added some on and then chopped half of that back off again and it was only on the tip so the added area wasn't huge but man did it make a difference

Fair to say Ray is no Pony, neither is Davie Norris, or the guys from R/P Yacht Design, .

A few years ago there were big mods required for a lot of R&P boats, some like complete new back ends.

Fair to say Ray is no Pony, neither is Davie Norris, or the guys from R/P Yacht Design, .

A few years ago there were big mods required for a lot of R&P boats, some like complete new back ends.

I think it was Secret Men's Business 3 in Oz that was that was the real cock-up. It had the deck cut-off and a whole new hull built which is why its called Secret Men's Business 3.5 now.

And Limit/Loki i think was the one SJB is alluding to, Considering how many boats they have done its not too bad, and they are trying stuff out which is great. Many other designers have had lots more failures and are still treated like gods?

Loki/Limit were caught in time and adjusted during the build, the problem boats were Bella Mente and Alfa Junior, both started life at 69' then ended up at 72'.

Ran got it right straight off the bat, JV design though.

It is a problem I would be very happy to have anyway - ironing out the wrinkles in a brand new campaign of that size and quality. 8) :thumbup:

With this one now wrapping up, are there any other race boats currently under construction for NZ owners for us to look forward to? I know there is that strip-planked Shaw boat that has appeared on here a couple of times but that is at the smaller end of the spectrum.

That's not to overlook the multis that are under construction/re-construction either e.g. Samin's and Tigre.

Although they will not be reading this far, having been blinded by the lump of lead in the photo earlier in the thread. :lol:

Archived