2012 Coastal Classic - Race reports here

SplashPrincess is right, we are squeezed this year because there is so much news going on, for example the piece on TV1 tonight will be shorter than planned for by Martin Tasker, but there are journalists that care about us and thanks to TVS's sterling effort, we'll still get a look in.

I'm sitting with TeamVodafoneSailing owner/skipper Simon Hull and his crew as they enjoy a well-deserved drink to celebrate their new record.

"It's great to see the race record come back to where it belongs, back to a multihull", says Simon.

"The whole idea of bringing an ORMA 60 to NZ was a plan born at 4am one morning after a previous Coastal, when we figured it was the only way to get the record back from a mono."

TVS maxed out at 34.8kts but saw extended periods over 30kts boatspeed. They put a 1st reef into the main at Kawau and a second at the Hen & Chicks as the breeze rose to over 30kts from SW.

Simon reckons TVS could shave another 15-20 mins off today's record if they could improve on the lost time at Cape Brett: “We said we wouldn’t come in too close but at 2nm we obviously were too close – again! Maybe the ideal wind to give us a new record would be E15-18kts but we won’t dwell on that tonight”, says Simon.

Only two days ago TVS didn’t even have a rig and so Simon finishes with “A huge thank you to Kevin Peet and my crew who got the boat and rig ready for today’s race – without their efforts we wouldn’t be sitting here.”

I bid Simon and the TVS crew farewell and head back to my laptop in the bar – back where I belong.

--

Rob Webb

post-3043-141887189257.jpg

And a couple of updatesd from the CC website

Farr 1020 Strathspey has let us know that they are just passing Bream Head.

"Another couple of hours of sun then we'll be swapping sunglasses for headtorches. We've sailed the rhumb line so far and closing on Tutukaka will discover if it has paid"

Lets hope that breeze stays in for you.

Smaller boats still charging up the coast 1747

Drop Dead Fred, the Ross 930 was seen to be heading past Whangarei heads half an hour ago, hot on the heels of No Worries, and Pepe.

They will be layering up with thermals as the temperature starts to drop - but with the sun still high in the sky theres a bit more daylight left in this race yet!

Just got word that Lucifer back up the right way - not sure about sailability yet..... :shock:

Any word on how they did it (got it back up I mean)

not yet, but rig all gud apparently! ... lucky! :clap:

That was in no way a criticism of your efforts Zoe - just the fact that so much is happening and so much focus on the rugby that I know we would be pushing it to get any air time.

Thanks - I know it wasn't, don't worry! We had a fairly good build up in the Herald, but there might not be so much tomorrow. On the other hand, the Northland papers are awesome and give us heaps of editorial, bless them!

Nice to know that some of the smaller multis have rounded Brett. Attitude @1655 and boaderline at @1705. Hope they make it in fine and dont run into any trouble.

Can I make a suggestion that the photos are added to a new thread? With all the drama going on on the race course, photos tend to slow down the page loading. Since this is the best place for the updates ... Not likely to get much coverage in the mainstream media, breaking the record doesn't really compete with the death of a dictator, containership and a certain rugby world cup.

Good idea, probably a bit late now, sorry I didn't pick up on it earlier, will file for future use though.

All of 30 seconds on TV1 - and even that had to mention the rugby! :twisted: :x

But at least it made it!

Yeah lets not focus on that this is the 30th coastal.....lets just worry if the yachties can watch the game on Sunday....

Um does anyone have any more word on Lucifer.......

{this is Samin's missus....I might be into sailing enough to build a boat but not enough to spend all day on crew......}

Archived