2012 Coastal Classic - Race reports here

That 888 sure does photograph damn well.

That's a fantastic shot Will.

Right-on KM. RIGHT-ON !!! Everyone that made such a wonderful effort to take all these pics - sure does need a HUGE - THANKS from all of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wonder how much quicker it was to get to the finish line for "pie-in-sky-eye' than sailing the big pink 'dancing' machine, eh Phill? Great shots from you 2 and everyone else. THANKS a bundle all of 'ewes'. Ciao, james

Thanks KM yes its a good job Roger knows me as I think if anyone else had taken the liberties I did

in terms of positioning he would have been rather concerned ;-)

Will, is that youtube link the same video you put on facebook? Has a bit over 4 mins of footage, and then 'bang'?

I cannot get access to yourtube, but have seen the facebook one.

Great photos.

Hi Voom yes same one just thought that as not everyone is on FB I had better put it on YT.

You guys looked like you were going well......it was just after I was shooting you that the steering went

you may or may not have seen me do a very sharp turn to starboard then stop dead.......BUGGER!

Didn't see you, had a bit on ourselves, but a few hours up the coast OUR steering went BANG too, so I was amused to see it say "and then bang and our coastal was over" as that caption fits our coastal too.

Finally home with kids off to school and guests back to Wellington! A bit of a report from Marshall Law:

Well I got the conservative start I wanted. Probably a bit too conservative, but clear air and not too cramped with other boats. The masthead genniker, when we finally got it up, was a good call as we watched many struggle with spinnakers across to Tiri. We were going OK, holding off Satellite Spy and for quite a while, O Sinnerman, sitting between 10 knots and 14 knots broad reaching. Apparently Urban Cowboy was around somewhere as well, but we never saw her. As the wind increased and came around to the West more, we decided to drop the MH genniker and went for a #3 for some 2 sail reaching. This was somewhere after Kawau if I remember correctly. Satellite was above us at this stage with a jib top going well. Every now and then the wind would drop and go a bit aft, tempting us to go for a genniker or kite, but we resisted... Satellite couldn't resist, and somewhere after sail rock, they went for a genniker, and screamed off down to Leeward. They obviously weren't looking to windward at us, or they would have been better prepared for what happened later.

After Bream Head, we were getting some quite strong "bullets" coming out of the hills, some over 30 knots. I kept looking upwind and got some good spotting from the crew calling the wind lines coming down. One of these looked pretty nasty, so I bore away on a wave and we freed off big time. Justa as well, as we were hit hard. The Marshall jumped onto the wave we had and just took off. 15, 16, 17, 18.4 knots with white water everywhere. Bloody brilliant and the highlight of the race. We looked downwind to see how the Satellite would fare, and it appreared that the same squall caught them completely unawares. They were dumped hard, with both keel and rudder right out of the water, and they stayed there for quite a long time.

We thought that was the end off them, as they were a long way to Leeward and behind, but were we to get a shock.. After sunset, approaching Brett, we sailed into a light patch, and replaced the #3 with the light #1. All we could see, approaching the gap were Nav lights. Behind us was the same, and we had no idea who was who. As we sailed into the gap by Percy Island, the wind went forward and light, and a boat came out of the darkness from out to sea. Bloody hell. Satellite Spy.. As we got the breeze on the other side, around 20 knots on the nose, the Satellite went high and fast while we went low and slow.. Yes the old light#1 in 20 knots mistake again. David Noyer, who sails on the Big don't argue, another Ross 40, recognised the problem and called for the #2. With that up, we went a lot better, but I was certainly struggling to get in the groove at night. We had one momnet, when, with no nav lights (Our port/stbd lights dropped out) we came across a stbd tacker, only seen at the last minute, with yells from the foredeck of "go down go down".. We missed by a foot or so and managed to dip, but kept a btter look out after that.

2 1/2 hours later it was all over withy us crossing just bhend Cosmic Cruz, and a few minutes behind Satellite Spy and Urban Cowboy, who we hadn't seen all race....

Many thanks to Murky, Grinna, Donna, David, Gary and Geoff. All great to sail with, and I'd happily do it again with the same crew. Top race!! :D :D Thanks to Robb (AC) for the attached shots just after the Start..

Smithy

Robb's photo-e.JPG

Robb's photo crop-e.JPG

Postscript:

Mero's Bacon and Egg Pies were a hit.

Murky's Chilli was brilliant.

David's äfter Rum re-heated pizza was great.

Donna's bacon and egg sarnies for breaky were top.

The Chopper Reid "Harden the flock up" award goes to David Noyer. We had a practice day on the Thursday.. 25kn with the masthead got a bity much, so we dropped it.. Unfortunately the drop was not perfect and the kite re-launched half way down with David holding the port downhaul. The resulting friction (no gloves) took off all thye skin from his palm and pads on his fingers. Not burns, just ripped right off. Very Nasty.. After some soaking his hand over the stern, and taping them up with plasters and insulation tape he carried on all afternoon, then turned up bright and early for race day, with never a mention of the pain they must have been causing. Tough guy. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last but not least, if anyone comes across a blue Windward Sails kite bag (long type with battens in the edges) I would love it back!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

From Urban Cowboy:

We passed both you and Satellite prior to, but not far from, Sail Rock. We were to weather only a couple of hundred metres or so. The delight for us was that Satellite passed us in the bay, close to the black rocks (about 3 or 4 tacks from the finish) - she then went left, we stayed right and got her back again. I confess to the crew having a rum or two on the back of that. A good day out all in all and hopefully the gennaker is repairable.

From Urban Cowboy:

We passed both you and Satellite prior to, but not far from, Sail Rock. We were to weather only a couple of hundred metres or so. The delight for us was that Satellite passed us in the bay, close to the black rocks (about 3 or 4 tacks from the finish) - she then went left, we stayed right and got her back again. I confess to the crew having a rum or two on the back of that. A good day out all in all and hopefully the gennaker is repairable.

OK. Now I know which boat you were! What sails were you using at Sail Rock?

Im sure Hewy or Matt will do something a bit more detailed. Mr Roosevelt did ok for a crew who met that morning. Good race with Eleanor and Outrageous Fortune and some Ross 930s for a while (no sign of any 88s), then a drag with Valium untill the wind went forward and light. Must have buffaloed about a gazillion boats staying wide at Brett. Happy to finish amongst some of the 35 ft hot rods. B&E Pie is good, lollies are good. around 2kg consumed durning race. end of the race I tipped my boots upside down and poured out the dust. Good to be dry after one for once.

drinks are a blurr.

Easy return untill we saw Truxton...race on....slowly got up to them, they changed up headsail when it went light, jumped out on us a bit. Breeze came back so we thought we would make the most of it. On with the climbing harness, on the trapeeze. Then they turned their engine on. There's rule bending but using engines in a race is cheating.

Rugby at Kauwau...can remember bits. Never seen it so packed in that little building. Big ups to Paddy and co.

All in all we achieved our goal. Beat Eleanor on line and beat Starlight on handicap. Then beat Starlight in a scrum. Success.

The Cool Changes Coastal Classic

Two handed, in anticipation of the upcoming White Island Race (or alternative course) we made a conservative start. We only re-launched on Thursday after installing a wet-box for the engine. I have a preference for boats without outboards on the stern but have always avoided the surgery previously. although the log refused to read more than 0 for the whole race. All went well at the start, and as soon as we had cleared North Head we set the fractional genie. Enough grunt for the two of us in that wind range. Passed Mixed T during a hoist and filmed a real mare for them. Best I wipe the tape. Didn’t take long for us to start seeing the green water over the bow and threatening to wet us. We cleared the Tiri Passage about mid channel and headed high on Kawau. By the time we passed Flat Rock we were level pegging with Stratocaster, with Coppelia a short distance ahead but to the lee, and F&G behind but to weather. Coppelia were carrying a genie as well and looked very powerful. Passed Stratocaster at Cape Rodney but then had to drop and go to the jib top. Stratocaster peeled to a jib and climbed higher. That was the last we saw of them so obviously a better move. We hung on to the JT in the building breeze and finally succumbed to a reef. Plenty of greenies right across the boat and showing up the short comings of the mods. The floods down the deck were pouring into the engine well. Need to put a water proof hatch on that. Couldn’t find the duck tape so used some non-skid sticky-back to form a seal so all well. Kept low across Bream Bay passing to the east of Sail Rock and passing close to the north islands of the Hen and Chickens. The sea flattened a little once we passed Bream Head although the gusts were still pretty hard. We plugged on with the JT climbing back towards the coast in the lulls and diving in the gusts. Changed back to the genie but had to run too deep, so on with the number 1 in the fading breeze. And fade it did. Lots of lights closed up from the stern at Cape Brett with some of the bigger boats pushing through once on the wind. Finished at 3.53 cutting the Wiseguy ‘off at the pass ‘so to speak, and finishing second two handed crew on line. Then joined the Spearhead and Valium for pre breakfast drinks! A good race but a littlNot so good in Div 3 one more south in the breeze would have been more to our liking. The pre-game festivities and the game made the Sunday stop at Tuts worthwhile. The trip home was forgettable and I can only thank the stars that we had upgraded to a 15hp engine. It’s got some real kick but is hungry as at full throttle. Back fully crewed next year, for a change.

Nice Video Hamish. Go Pro I presume? What editing software do you use??

I think it was a Canon PowerShot G9 in a waterproof dive housing with a wide angle converter. Edited in Windows Live Moviemaker.

Archived