2012 Coastal Classic - Race reports here

yeh - I'm guessing that the lower gudgeon just snapped somewhere in its section as teh intle pulled thru and the upper gudgeon has twisted as the board slewed but I thought I'd check.

Team Vodafone Sailing – Report on the 2011 Coastal Classic Race

COASTAL CLASSIC RECORD – BACK TO WHERE IT BELONGS, IN THE HANDS OF A MULTIHULL

TeamVodafone Sailing hit an impressive top speed of 34.8 knots on the 119 mile sprint from Auckland to Russell, finishing the race in a record breaking time of 5 hours, 44 minutes, and 31 seconds. This remarkable time smashes the previous record set by Alfa Romeo in 2009 by the best part of an hour, and Simon Hull is pleased to bring the record “back to where it belongs, back to a multihull”.

The 60 foot trimaran was once again an impressive sight roaring down the Waitemata Harbour on their way out to the start line of the annual Coastal Classic Race last Friday. Conditions were perfect for the sail up the coast, and the crew were poised for action from the second they left the dock. Unable to break the overall record the previous year after being held up fifteen miles from the finish line with a lack of wind, the team were out to take the title this year, and that is exactly what they did.

As the gun went off to signal the start of their division, the Vodafone Crew flew past Rangitoto Light House a mere 13 minutes later, leaving the spectators on North Head squinting through their binoculars as the fiery red trimaran shot off into the distance. There were a few concerns around the rig, which had only been put back in the previous day, but these came to no avail as the boat had an almost faultless flying trip up the coast. The trimaran sat a record breaking pace for most of the trip, the only hiccup being a slight shortage of wind as they rounded Cape Brett, the last way point before the final stretch to Russell. Luckily it didn’t turn out to be a repeat of last year however, and the breeze held in to see them cross the finish line at 3.44pm, to claim line honours for 2011.

As the team wound down with a well deserved Steinlager in Russell, Simon gave a “huge thank you” to Kevin Peet and his crew who got the boat and rig ready for the race. “Without their efforts we wouldn’t be sitting here”. Simon and the crew are pretty happy with their result, although there still seems to be room for improvement. “15-20 minutes could still be shaved off our overall time if our speed had remained constant for the final stretch of the race”, says Hull, who continues to explain that “the whole idea of bringing an ORMA 60 to New Zealand was a plan born at 4am one morning after a previous coastal”, a fresh race on the nose where Hull was beaten in his TP52 V5 to the top honours by one pesky multihull. “So we figured if you can’t beat them we will join them. I went to see what boats might be available, and the rest is history”.

So the ORMA 60 has successfully snatched the record back of the monohulls, as they tied up to the wharf in Russell with plenty of daylight left to relax and reflect with a few cold ones in the beaming sunshine.

TeamVodafoneSailing is also supported by Line 7, Predictwind.com, Seatrade, Fusion, Harken, Fineline, B&G, Steinlager, Safety at Sea and Wilde Media.

Followers can watch TeamVodafoneSailing and view live data on her live Predictwind.com tracker at www.teamvodafonesailing.co.nz.

ENDS

TeamVodafoneSailing is also supported by Line 7, Predictwind.com, Seatrade, Fusion, Harken, Fineline, B&G, Steinlager, Safety at Sea and Wilde Media.

I think it is super-cool that - in addition to the businesses supporting TVS - three members of crew.org have apparently stepped up in their private capacity while also funding their own campaigns. Well done chaps. :clap:

Yes of course I am taking the p!ss. :roll:

I went there but there was a sign directing you to the pub around the back. The prizegiving suffered horrendously from people not stopping talking, the worst behaviour I have ever been witnessed to, do they have no respect.

Another factor was the absence of many prizewinning skippers or crew, an incredible absence??!!

Same for the spot prizes, it took heaps of draws to give them away, even with prizes such as outboards. I'm not sure if it was due to the rugby or what but I feel disappointed for the organisers. Jon Vincent is a great speaker/presenter and he carried on without being affected by it, despite not having enough volume in his sound system. Also our boat - Fast Lane - didn't win a prize... :thumbdown:

I went there but there was a sign directing you to the pub around the back. The prizegiving suffered horrendously from people not stopping talking, the worst behaviour I have ever been witnessed to, do they have no respect.

Another factor was the absence of many prizewinning skippers or crew, an incredible absence??!!

Same for the spot prizes, it took heaps of draws to give them away, even with prizes such as outboards. I'm not sure if it was due to the rugby or what but I feel disappointed for the organisers. Jon Vincent is a great speaker/presenter and he carried on without being affected by it, despite not having enough volume in his sound system. Also our boat - Fast Lane - didn't win a prize... :thumbdown:

We didn't see the sign, and by the time we found out, it was 7.30. I am sure we weren't alone and this would explain part of the reason for the lack of numbers. Bad organisation I'm afraid. We went around the back around 7.45 but there was no-one on stage, a really LOUD band and lots of pissed yachties who had a huge head start on us so we left. The atmosphere wasn't condusive to hanging around.... :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

The rest of the race organisation was fantastic, no complaints at all. It would have been good to catch up with some of the other crews like Urban Cowboy and Satellite Spy, but we never really got the opportunity....

We didn't see the sign, had arranged to have dinner at the Duke (supporting sponsors) and by the time we found out, it was 7.30. I am sure we weren't alone and this would explain part of the reason for the lack of numbers. Bad organisation I'm afraid. We went around the back around 7.45 but there was no-one on stage, a really LOUD band and lots of pissed yachties who had a huge head start on us so we left. The atmosphere wasn't condusive to hanging around.... :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

The rest of the race organisation was fantastic, no complaints at all. It would have been good to catch up with some of the other crews like Urban Cowboy and Satellite Spy, but we never really got the opportunity....

I haven't caught up with this year's prizegiving antics but these are all good reasons why the prizegiving has been held on Sunday morning in recent years! It was shifted to Saturday night this year because of the RWC.

I haven't caught up with this year's prizegiving antics but these are all good reasons why the prizegiving has been held on Sunday morning in recent years! It was shifted to Saturday night this year because of the RWC.

And a truly delightful breeze in the Bay on the Saturday - watched many boats around us pulling up anchor during the day. Not us but I do understand how people would be tempted to opt for an easier trip home. (That doesn't explain the behaviour at the prizegiving but it would be a factor in the overall attendance).

Its a real shame it was such a disaster really.

The band were just awesome.

Maybe the Prizegiving needs to be at 5, so that everyone can go out after it and get dinner then get back for the band.

Sunday morning prizegiving is a total pain in the arse if you have to get your boat home.

For me that is the best thing about this year, it was back to a no frills yacht race, period.

We don't have to have Professsional events management, we don't have to have Bacon Sandwiches on Sunday.

Huge thank you to all the NZMYC volunteers you just did an awesome job, Especially Jon, Phil and Anthony !

Anyone who has taken on something like this as a volunteer or professional will realise what a massive job it is and how it sucks up your time and energy not just for days, but for weeks and months. No event is ever completely perfect and I've heard a lot of really good feedback and very little niggling stuff (and trust me I get very sensitive when people complain!) - So a huge well done to everyone who made it happen, especially the three that Tim mentions.

I second and third the "Well Done" comments.

The major factor on attendance had to be the RWC. Many more boats did a U turn than is normal.

Why else would nobody be there for a record breaking race.

The best prize givings ever were on the beach as the sun set.

Magic Moments

Archived