2012 Coastal Classic - Race reports here

Zoe's official press release

NZMYC Coastal Classic Media Release

Saturday 22 October 2011

Super fast Coastal Classic sees historic race record set

Despite very optimistic forecasts yesterday it seemed almost too much to hope for that the sub-six hour record would finally be broken in the NZMYC Coastal Classic, but TeamVodafoneSailing did it when they crossed the finish line in five hours, 44 minutes and 31 seconds.

Nearly all boats have crossed the line into Russell, marking the end of the 119 nautical mile race, and the beginning of sailing’s party of the year.

For the owner of TeamVodafoneSailing, Simon Hull, the win and race record marked the fruition of a long term dream. He always knew that owning a fast multihull was the only way of eventually ensuring a race record, and the notion of purchasing an Orma 60 was borne out of his Coastal Classic attempts in keelboats.

To average a speed of around 20 knots for the duration of the race, TeamVodafoneSailing peaked at 34.8 knots of boatspeed on the racecourse, and saw extended periods of over 30 knots. They put their first reef in the main at Kawau and a second at the Hen and Chicks, as the breeze rose to over 30 knots from the South-West. 52qsd

They cleared Cape Brett by about two nautical miles, but still fell into the light patch infamous in that area during a South-Westerly, a trap that in 2010 cost them nearly an hour of waiting.

TeamVodafoneSailing was followed into Russell by Roger Pagani’s catamaran, Triple 888, at 1924 hours, and Taeping at 1952 hours. The race started at 1000hrs.

Dirty Deeds finished thirty minutes outside the record for smaller multihull boats, and without absolutely perfect South-Easterly sailing conditions.

The top monohulls were Wired, finishing at 1942hrs, V5 at 1953hrs, and Bare Essentials at 2031hrs. At about fifty foot each, they will be hard pushed to ever beat the race record for monohulls set by the 100 foot supermaxi Alfa Romeo in 2009, of six hours and 43 minutes.

“Congratulations to all winners and finishers,” says event spokesperson Jon Vincent. “This wasn’t an easy race by any means, but it was a fast and exciting one for many boats.”

The race was not without incident: the red trimaran Lucifer capsized at Cape Brett on Friday afternoon, but was later righted by Coastguard with the crew being cold but unharmed. Exodus was dismasted at a similar time, and a number of multihulls withdrew with gear damage, leading to 15 retirees from 151 starters, the penalty of a hard and fast race.

A potential tsunami warning this morning also had the fleet and race management on guard, but it was cancelled within an hour.

Conditions were perfect at the race start: blue skies and crisp South-Westerly breezes saw the fleet start upwind but quickly bear away and depart Auckland in good time. However as they sailed north, some reported winds of up to 30 knots, and lumpy seas.

A fantastic prize pool has been provided by Musto, Mount Gay Rum, the Duke of Marlborough, Railblaza, PredictWind, PIC Insurance, Southern Pacific Inflatables, Dirty Dog, Yamaha and Safety at Sea. The event is also supported by Eventuate and Wilde Media.

Handicap and divisional results can be analysed at the race website: www.coastalclassic.co.nz

ENDS

The first 20 boats to cross the line in Russell were:

TEAMVODAFONESAILING 05:44:31 1

TRIPLE 8 07:24:52 2

TAEPING 07:52:19 3

DIRTY DEEDS 08:33:44 4

TITI NUI 09:04:47 5

ATTITUDE 09:06:40 6

WIRED (first monohull) 09:42:12 7

BORDERLINE 09:48:44 8

V5 (second monohull) 09:53:34 9

FRANTIC DRIFT 10:14:36 10

BARE ESSENTIALS (third monohull) 10:31:50 11

AKATEA (fourth monohull) 11:09:23 12

FORMULA ONE (fifth monohull) 12:02:53 13

M1 (sixth monohull) 12:30:09 14

SYSTEMS THUNDER (seventh monohull) 12:35:42 15

KARMA POLICE (eighth monohull) 12:44:22 16

EQUILIBRIUM (ninth monohull) 12:47:49 17

WEDGETAIL (tenth monohull) 13:03:07 18

OVERLOAD (eleventh monohull) 13:04:40 19

PRETTY BOY FLOYD (twelfth monohull) 13:06:43 20

Any news over the possible sh*t fight about the Sailing Instructions say RRS 52 is only suspended for boats over 22m?

It could make a huge difference to the division 1 results if someone was brave enough to protest. I think it would remove Wired, V5, Akatea, Equilibrum and any other boat that uses the engine or stored energy to move the keel or winchs.

Must be very tempting for Bare Essentials, Formula 1 and Thunder to get their name on the trophy!

Any news over the possible sh*t fight about the Sailing Instructions say RRS 52 is only suspended for boats over 22m?

It could make a huge difference to the division 1 results if someone was brave enough to protest. I think it would remove Wired, V5, Akatea, Equilibrum and any other boat that uses the engine or stored energy to move the keel or winchs.

Must be very tempting for Bare Essentials, Formula 1 and Thunder to get their name on the trophy!

All I can see from the website is rule 1.7, but it doesn't specify a length.

RRS 52 shall not apply

If this is the case then their will be no protests. Does anyone have a hard copy of the sailing rules? is it different on them?

quite clearly there:http://www.coastalclassic.co.nz/downloads/sailing_instructions_2011.pdf

Surley a mistake??

Not sure about electric winches being bound by r52 unless it classifed as rigging??

Could be a mistake. Akatea were thinking at the start of the race to protest it and If anyone does then it will be very interesting.

Speaking unoffically, sitting here in Russell, I can't say I've heard anything about protesting some technicality of the rules.

I don't think a major protest would match the mood of this year's event that I'm reading. I doubt anyone can be bothered - they are too busy reflecting on a great race and enjoying a relaxed, sunny day over a few beers. As far as I'm aware, Frantic Drift hasn't even put in a claim for recourse for going to the aid of Lucifer last night.

Which is surely what it's about, it's the Coastal Classic not the Americas Cup, after all.

I know my englandish is shite but doesn't that headline have errors?

Shouldn't it read - 'Super fast Coastal Classic sees historic race record broken' or 'Super fast Coastal Classic sees new record set in historical race'???

For some reason I want to use the word 'grammatical' but I'm knot entirely sure what it actually means.

I know my englandish is shite but doesn't that headline have errors?

Shouldn't it read - 'Super fast Coastal Classic sees historic race record broken' or 'Super fast Coastal Classic sees new record set in historical race'???

For some reason I want to use the word 'grammatical' but I'm knot entirely sure what it actually means.

Remember I said NO complaining.

We had a good race on Nosaka, once we got over a few dramas at the start with two hour-glass sets of the masthead, with a nice broach before we even got to North Head. Not one of our better starts. But we got the fractional A-sail up after Rangi light and took the low road around the back of Hen & Chickens with some good breeze, and kept up some good high averages two sail reaching. Great sailing. Came in to Cape Brett at a nice angle and in good shape, and finished 3rd in B division behind Truxton and Frenzy. Some photos attached from the support boat...

Nosaka 1.JPG

Nosaka 2.JPG

Nosaka support crew.JPG

Don't stress Zoe. With the amount of words you must have fired out this weekend no one couldn't have got every one in the right order, knot even a woman.................. he says very bravely but working on I'm just about sure I can out run a very pregnant lady :lol:

My post was more me just being a tad surprised I noticed something at all and then, to even more amazement, may have worked out what it was. It sure wasn't a complaint, it was only a 'hey, I'm may knot be a total englandish dumbarse after all'.

But we'll say nothing and just keep it between the 2 of us ;)

had a fun and fast ride on pork chop, knot quite sure what we hit but it was awesome. i spent most of the race swimming around on the fordeck doing sail changes every 2 minutes, its amazing how much water it throws around when going downwind with a good chop running. i was completely soaked by the time we got to rangi light and a very very wet and cold little bowman by the time the sun went down. i think we only had 2 small hickups, one when we started to motor out of the berth with the stern line still attached and another when we trawled a headsail which resulted in some broken battens and a bent staunchion

post-10268-141887189373.jpg

Was on "no worries!" had a awesome race, was the first coastal I have done, called on at the last minute,very happy I said yes! had some good rides on the waves heading up north, few little hick ups, the genny sheet blew out a couple of hours before cape brett, other times we just had the wrong sails up.

got up to 16.4knts with full main and no.3 headsail, that was our top speed on the whole race, felt awesome sending it down the wave with no extra's on.all in all, very good weekend for me, will certainly be doing it next year :thumbup:

Well done Richard. Nosaka had a great race. Very few boats went outside the chickens and I think you were the only one to hold your genny. Surething also went outside but don't think they fared so well...

Im sure I already posted this on this thread but maybe I didnt?

Anyway for those that wanted to see a bit of footage via you tube

the link is attached....

Oh and photos were on line on Saturday ;-) afraid there arnt too many of the fleet monos

but my day ended rather early as the steering parted early :-(

Archived