Sad experience-advice needed

ScarecrowR31

Hi guys, sad to report that after SYCs Fridays race 2 full mugs of Rum& Coke were spilt. Other than finding more responsible crew I have accepted the need for mug holders. Dont wish to screw on so what adhesive do I use? (thinking about the fold down type of holders that work OK but arent the strongest so may need replacing on a regular basis)

Cheers

summerbreeze I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. My deepest condolences and rest assured that our thoughts are with you. I guess you'll just have to find a way to somehow carry on.

My experiences with the plastic fold down cup holders has been that they tend to be a bit flimsy and have an annoying habit of gettting in the way, no matter where they are mounted. I haven't yet found the perfect cup holder solution for our boat, but can recommend the neoprene disks on beer bottles ... they allow the bottle to suction down onto smooth surfaces (doesn't work well on non-skid) and stop the bottle from falling over. Cheap and effective. Sheet bags bold beer bottle reasonably well too .... but haven't found a solution for rum glasses (the suction disks work on the glasses, but the rum slops out of the glass sadly).

Yeah the problem is i need more than one :lol: :lol:

And that i need to be sponsored by Mt Gay to keep them full!

They are going to be mandatory crew kit for the next SR Nationals i think onboard Mercenary

Do you have dorade boxes :?:

Removal of the plastic cowling (sheets snag on them anyway) allows the senior rail meat a very useful glass holder, better with angled sides rather than straight glasses and several sizes can be fitted.

Don't worry. You won't look at all strange walking around the shopping malls with a dorade box under your arm, testing the fit for different sized glases in the Christmass Shopping rush. Even a selection of different wine glasses are available depending upon the height of the glasses' stems and forecast sea conditions.

As an added bonus, you could recognise fellow sailors and crew readers as they too will have their dorade boxes with them. :P

If you upgrade to 3, 4 or 5 cowling dorade boxes, all your rail crew will be happy. Think how popular you will be on next year's Coastal when all the rail crew can enjoy the sunset WITHOUT SPILLAGE. :thumbup:

Just remember to keep taking your meds :!:

We fitted the 'blue performance' winch handle cabin bags. Each bag can hold two handles. The handles are substituted for beers - either can or bottles will fit. If only Mt Gay did rum and coke cans we would be set!

Might need to get the coffee cup with lid style container as they could then be filled with rum and coke and would also fit in the handle holders!

Strangely enough, every now and again a gimballed cup holder thing is f/s at the chandleries. Originaly designed for baby strollers I'm told, It clamps on a standard 25 mm rail ie pushpit , or maybe even a staunchion.

So maybe a recce to the baby factory is in order if you can't find em at yer favourite marine hardware shop.

Sorry in advance for being serious about the question, maybe to return the thread back to the right atmosphere we could speculate on soaked yotties staggering around the pushchairs with a dorade box and a bottle of rum while yelling about gimballs.

[quote=t. If only Mt Gay did rum and coke cans

Years ago was working on prepping a purse seiner for fall salmon on Puget sound and we all took off to the puyallup county fair, great fun , some bright spark bough a bunch of those hats that hold 2 cans and have a syphon arrangement into your mouth and direct to your brain 45 mins after starting web repair at the fishermans terminal we just gave up......those things are lethal..... so go careful with cans

Surprised no-one has yet commented on the greatest travesty of all in that story... Rum and COKE????!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

But if you do want to install those flimsy plastic ones (they're cheap enough to replace regularly, so that's what's going on mine), just use 3M double-sided sticky tape. My partner gets it from a signwriters as he used to work there, so you could always try a signwriter if you can't find it off the shelf. It's the best you'll get in terms of sticking power, and when you want to peel it off to replace a broken cup holder, a bit of meths will usually do the trick, or turps if not.

Surprised no-one has yet commented on the greatest travesty of all in that story... Rum and COKE????!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

But if you do want to install those flimsy plastic ones (they're cheap enough to replace regularly, so that's what's going on mine), just use 3M double-sided sticky tape. My partner gets it from a signwriters as he used to work there, so you could always try a signwriter if you can't find it off the shelf. It's the best you'll get in terms of sticking power, and when you want to peel it off to replace a broken cup holder, a bit of meths will usually do the trick, or turps if not.

You could use industrial Velco and take them off.

Archived