Insuring Multihulls

Megwyn

All well and good Paddy O - but ours is not a racing tri - shes quick but we do not race, yet we could not get full insurance. The only reason we managed to get 3rd party was because Offender already had her insured and they let us roll it over. I queried getting full cover for her in the future and was given a very shady answer - they are not keen.

So how to we protect our liabilities?

M

Cruising tri's are tarred with the same brush, aren't they?

If 20-30 owners clubbed together I would think you can get a scheme off the ground.

But it needs to be conservative and workable...

You would need to be careful who you invite and what cover you go for.

>Don't try to insure boats moored in the open harbour

>Don't ask for capsize cover racing.

>Don't ask for cover on dodgy racing rigs and high performance sails

>Have a high excess so you aren't doing people's banking for them.

I would try and galvanise the club, if I were an owner...

I would also exclude single handed sailing from a scheme that I was involved in too :lol:

Why insure the inevitable disaster?

I think EMC's suggestion is the best - the problem is too complex to thrash out on a forum...and it's more than just how to get insurance now. We find some brave org who will insure us and then the same rate of flipping and damage continues, they go "f*ck this" & then we are back to square one.

The big thing holding back multihull racing is the capsizes - leads to bad publicity and claims - leads to no insurance so precludes a whole bunch of people who cannot afford the risk and therefore very few new boats and crazy low resale values IMHO.

Anyone tried Dan at PIC Insurance? Last time i spoke he seemed fairly happy to be involved in insuring multi's? They are only brokers so deal with a few big under writers and have good contacts so might be worth trying?

Dan Garner

Daniel@pic.co.nz

(09) 274 5751

http://www.pic.co.nz/marine.html

Yip I have full cover for my cat with pic, Dan is awesome to deal with and PIC also sponsor the 8.5 nationals as well. so clearly understand multis.

All well and good Paddy O - but ours is not a racing tri - shes quick but we do not race, yet we could not get full insurance. The only reason we managed to get 3rd party was because Offender already had her insured and they let us roll it over. I queried getting full cover for her in the future and was given a very shady answer - they are not keen.

So how to we protect our liabilities?

M

Wadaya mean not a racing tri? It was when we sailed it! :lol:

Wadaya mean not a racing tri? It was when we sailed it! :lol:

:clap: With a head, a galley and sleeping accommodation for 4 (including a double bed :wink: ), she is somewhat less spartan than our last cruiser racer. Racing lines with minimalist cruising? But then, TVS is truely minimalist. That is a racing tri.

RO is now a fast minimalist cruiser. 8)

It's got about the same amount of interior room as TVS - well not really, but yes TVS is truly minimalist. How did you get 4 bunks in there? It slept 3 when I last looked or is the one under the cockpit a double when stacked vertically? You're not allowed to count the hammocks on each tramp :wink:

:lol: AA - there is one f'ward - the bunk covers the head, then the one under the cockpit, "the coffin" as our Ogre called it, and the double to port.

If I count the tramps, I got another 4! :wink:

Of course, if you put a body in every possible berth, (including the tramps) you would need to store the sails in the dingy and cockpit. :lol:

Ah yes, had forgotten about the one over the bog - I'll take the tramp hammock please :sick: :lol:

No probs buddy. It's all yours. :thumbup:

Even got a tent for cover that you can use too if you want.

When you and Mrs AA finally get down this way. :D

OR

You could just use the spare room. :wink:

To get back on topic and away from Megwyn and AA's sleeping arrangements... I have now managed to secure full insurance (including racing) for my Trailered Tri. The racing insurance has a high excess so I'm going to be EXTREMELY reluctant to claim but it's nice to have in case of serious mega disaster...

Apparently a Tri on a swing mooring is impossible.

I would agree from my research. It is possible to get some coverage, but not for capsize or on a swing mooring.

I'm guessing within 12 months not a boat in NZ on a swing mooring will be insured, judging from my research! This should concern us all as a boating community. It means that moorings have to get stronger and more reliable, and owners have to be more careful with chafe.

But also insurers have to be a bit more picky than just not insuring on swing moorings. Some degree of research into which harbours are relatively safe, and which are not.

Marinas aren't the guaranteed answer either. Look what happened in Lyttleton, when the marina collapsed, and what happens overseas to marinas in cyclones. Also, there are many minor claims there from collisions berthing.

The capsize risk is a knee jerk one too. Why are launches and keel yachts, that make no attempt to have watertight bulkheads or areas, still insured for sinking???

A capsize typically means a salvage, but not a total loss.

Nobody wants to capsize. It should be an insurable risk on non extreme multihulls.

Apparently a Tri on a swing mooring is impossible.

I've heard this before. Can any of the insurance gurus explain why this is? Or why a tri is not OK on a swing mooring but a cat or mono presumably is (or has been up until now noting Tim C's comment).

Hi guys my mate just got insurance last week for his 11 mtr cat , it lives on a mooring next to mine, using AON insurance and no survey needed !!

I've just been told that Putiki Express is now no longer insured. Bailey Insurance has done a great job looking all over the place for me, but unless it's over about $150,000, no luck. Not even for third party.

My recent dismasting caused by NZ Rigging's incompetence hasn't helped this at all. If ever you put a multi in the water, DON'T use NZ Rigging. Apart from the less than adequate service, the cost of repairs, I really don't think they know what they are doing when it comes to designing Multi rigs.

I'm not that worried about the cost of my boat, it's not worth that much, but if I damage another boat, that could be a bit more serious.

It also mean's I can't leave the boat in a marina for a week or two over holidays.

This could very well put a curb on more multis going into the water. I wonder how Ian Farrier will get on selling his F22's in NZ?

Have you had a chat to Dan from PIC Insurance? (The guys that gave away a new Gennaker to Hooters in the BMW regatta)

They are a broker that is very happy to search around and sort underwriters that do Multi's. If you havent already John it would be worth a shot, Tell him i told ya he would sort you out.

Dan Garner - (09) 274 5751

daniel@pic.co.nz

www.pic.co.nz

I've just been told that Putiki Express is now no longer insured. Bailey Insurance has done a great job looking all over the place for me, but unless it's over about $150,000, no luck. Not even for third party.

My recent dismasting caused by NZ Rigging's incompetence hasn't helped this at all. If ever you put a multi in the water, DON'T use NZ Rigging. Apart from the less than adequate service, the cost of repairs, I really don't think they know what they are doing when it comes to designing Multi rigs.

I'm not that worried about the cost of my boat, it's not worth that much, but if I damage another boat, that could be a bit more serious.

It also mean's I can't leave the boat in a marina for a week or two over holidays.

This could very well put a curb on more multis going into the water. I wonder how Ian Farrier will get on selling his F22's in NZ?

I think we should all be seriously worried about your lack of 3rd party insurance John.... :lol:

Na seriously that's no good at all. Not good for the whole scene if people cant get insurance.

Thanks Marshy, will give him a ring.

I guess the options for me is to just race and worry about the consequences of hitting another boat when it happens. The way I see it is that if I do damage to another boat (and being responsible), I will be willing to pay their excess to the owner and let their insurance company take me to court. I will plead guilty and destitute, and offer to pay say $50 a month, (the cost of an annual insurance cover) until the amount is paid off.

After all it's the insurance co's that are forcing me to sail without third party.

Booboo, just as well you're no longer racing in the same races I'm in 8)

Yes he is john on samins boat. which would look worse with a scratch on it that the rental would.

anyway i second marshy's call dan is great and they sponser the class. get behind them

I dont understand why 3rd party is harder to get for a Multi than a mono

Archived