BMW Regatta suprise

candela

Marketing results presented to BMW Committee

75% want more partying

5% want dancing girls

4% want more beer and dancing girls

Mmmm Dancing Girls... Maybe if John sponsored Dancing girls his handicap would drop as fast as the dancing girls pants? :lol: :D :D

Motuhie party this year is shaping up to be bigger than ever! So bring your drinking boots! (And Dancing girls)

JohnK

Calm down, you are getting all heated, don't let me get under your skin.

you say I do give a sh*t cos I go on, but I go on because you guys react so nicely. Come on admit it, you were gonna leave it, but I pressed your buttons.

BooBoo and MM gave arguments, but that doesn't mean I gotta accept them. I didn't. I Agree about BooBoo, can't be as complimentary about MM.

Oooh, I like home truths

You're right, I do all those things you say, but hey, that's why it's so great to sail with you guys, I can learn so much, from you guys. But,you should try harder in keeping the boat upright, you can get hurt flipping them.

Cameron

If it's a mistake that Kels made (and there's no way of proving one way or the other) I am willing to accept that. Thanks for that, and I'm willing to leave it at that.

Mark

I appreciate your comments, and like I have said, I did (and still do) think it was a conspiracy, but no matter what I would say etc, nothing would alter, as was evident by the fact that nothing came of the questionnare. But I really wasn't moved enough to make a formal complaint.

I didn't expect or want the results changed.

I know for a fact that pressuring handicappers is not a good outcome. I was a handicapper for about 15 yrs at MSC quite some yrs back. That's why the handicapping system at RNZYS is such crap. If a history is available there is no way that a handicapper should have to do more than basic calculations. There are 3 parameters that I see. History, Weather, and boats/crew.

The discussion at the start of a series/race should not be what the handicap should be, but what is different about the crew (Attitude was given a terrible handicap, because they were new to the boat) or boat, new sails, change in rig etc. After the race, the results should be checked to see if weather or other factors had any adverse effects on the results

Sure, people are known to sandbag before a series, but there's not much that can be done about that.

I have already pissed the handicapper off before when I told him I could have won that race going backward, His reply was, 'that's the last time you'll be getting a favourable handicap, John'. That should not be possible with a good handicap system.

So Mark, I know that my handicap will be tough. That's fine, as long as they don't fiddle the handicaps to get a favourable result, I can live with that.

Booger

Keep up the good work :thumbup:

Now if you don't want to hear me gloat a little bit, stop reading.

Did RNZYS make a mistake?

NOOOOOO, surely not

Not the club that doesn't make mistake when their tender get's in the way of a starting boat, or sends the race out to go round a non existant bouy. Oh but if it does so happen, it's not their fault, so no entry refund is necessary.

The Club that decides that if you are not at the rum race prizegiving, tough, no rum. So if you can't get there cos you have to sail back to the landing, trailer the boat and return to Westhaven, tough.

RNZYS members are so up themselves, look how long it took to get an admission, while all day people were skirting the issue, And I have enjoyed every minute of it.

And that I guess is what I enjoy. Thanks for your time, I enjoyed the sparring

dude

i am staring to like you, you cetyain ly have a sense of humour

righto here i go

yeah we did tip it over twice , perhaps we didnt know where the boundary was, we do now i have 26 stiches to prove it but thats part of the reason we and the other lead boats win we do push it hard, as hard as we can

the getting of a reaction is mutual

hey the only thing i dont like is the baging of the RNZYS ( yes i am a memebr) .It not all their fault (if at all) , its a joint regatta with BBYC. Roakey was involved their somewhere and with all due respect your analysis or lack of it is part of the issue puting you parlty at fault and all of us rnzys demos who reply are part of the issue

youre right the rnzys has made mistakes (as have other clubs, even the deeds) but you have too.

its also about recognising some of your fairly loose accusations are against people who have sailed all their life and now for whatever resaon are voluntarily putting a bit of time back in so that we can enjoy the sport,

really this type of "sh*t' that does effect sponsors ( i know i am one) should be left to the race track and bar. to say all rnzys mebers are up themselves is not right, and you know that some of the people you communicate with on this forum are nothing like that , ( for example vagabond tigre/ clive you couldntand should infer that about him)

OK, I don't have a dog in this fight at all. I don't sail a multi, I am not a member of RNZYS, I don't race regularly, I don't personally know any of the main protagonists in this thread. So, as an unbiased observer perhaps I can make some comments (though its probably unwise and not likely to change anything).

The crux of the matter is that JohnMi feels hard done by because of what he sees as handicapping irregularities in a regatta that he feels have unduly disadvantaged him. The most logical explanation he has arrived at is that these irregularities were malicious and were directed at him because he's not a member of RNZYS. Various people have given what appear to be quite logical and reasoned explanations of the handicapping alterations that seem to suggest that there are no irregularities at all and therefore there is no malicious campaign against JohnMi personally or non-RNZYS members generally. None of this has changed the fact that JohnMi feels hard done by.

As far as I can see there are multiple solutions available to you JohnMi and I'll try to list them so you can take your pick

Don't race
    Don't race in events that involve handicapping
    Don't race in events that involve RNZYS
    Don't worry about handicap results and race purely for the fun of it
    Don't officially enter the race, but start outside the start line and pit yourself against other boats
    Sail more consistently (always hard to do and part of the challenge of racing)
    Get involved in the race committee and/or handicapping so that you can satisfy yourself that no impropriety occurs
    Or perhaps the most obvious solution is to join the RNZYS ... then there is no reason to fiddle your handicaps other than in a positive manner to help you to win.

JohnK

Yep, I know I get a bit carried away, and yes, I have been harder on people than I should, I realise that, and the last thing I would want is to slag people off. BooBoo for instance, a great guy, and more than once, he has told me to pull my head in, and because of the way he says it I don't take offence and do just that. You're right about Clive too.

I should be more careful with my accusations, but I truely believed what I said, and how else could I have said it. If I had officially complained, It would have been heard, dealt with in the usual RNZYS manner, by telling me that it's all crap, signed, sealed and out you go.

That's where other clubs, Richmond RAYC SSANZ etc have that much better public image, they go out of their way to help, to be contactable. They also send prizes to you by mail!

So John, see ya on the course, and think of it this way. Not only do you get to race but you get to see a circus after you've finished and waiting for us!

john mi

cheers dude hey a sense of humour and a bit of a stirring steak is a good thing

yeah see you on the race course

i even agree a little bit with the 'they dont listen" theory

i'll watch out for you from the wired and good luck this could your year

Archived