BMW Regatta suprise

candela

Guest Crafty 1
Non refundable because by the time arrives to decide if it is safe to sail, all the organization has been done, do you get your money back if the tennis is rained out?

Wel actually you do get your money back if ...

your concert is canned by weather...

Cricket returns money if it is rained out or off!

And if you enter "most events" and it is cancelled (for many reasons including weather) you get your entry fee refunded Partially and/or in full for most events.

The money that goes into organising a Yachting regatta is minimal compared to something like Cricket (Tv coverage) but these events have insurance.

Amny yachties i know would rather pay a late entry fee (for club and low key/non national events) and see how the weather pans out.

Guest mental outlook

It is not very often a you lose every day of racing due to weather. I can only remember losing 1 of the 3 days in any BMW regatta. And if you're worried about losing a third of the value of your entry fee (or for that matter the whole thing) you probably shouldn't own a boat.

You don't get a refund from the cricket or a concert if you decide 'not to turn up' do you.

If everybody entered early then this would bring in more entries, as Marshy says.

Support it or lose it. Pretty simple really.

Passed a few of the sporties today heading north for Bay of Islands week which is this week. Which so far is looking like the best weather of the year. 8) Looking at the event website (ad to the right) it looks like the organisers have had their work cut out but have ended up with a decent muster in most divisions - a conspicuous gap where the 40-footers would be and the 88s a bit on the light side but conversely, both passage divisions well patronised.

Hope it goes well! :thumbup:

And from the perspective of a competitor, the Bay Week people are absolutely top line organisers to work with. Unfortunately a very late withdrawal this year but we'll be back. Hope it goes well.

From the Event Manager Emily Flynn

The entry form should read C Division up to 0.809. As per notice of race3.8 and subject to sufficient entries, there will be a D Division.

Bring on the entries and you have the Division :wave:

Good to see I have managed to get a good discussion started and thanks to Marshy for jumping on board.

I totally agree that people need to suck it up and enter early. The difference between getting a refund from the cricket and not from a sailing event is that they are organizing regattas for us!!!!! These events are for us to go racing not to make a profit like cricket, rugby tennis........

I also find it interesting g that hey talk about it being hard to find sponsors for the smaller divisions. I have 2 sponsors who are keen but I am struggling to get a response for the organisers. There is still money out their you just need to think out side of the box.

Ps we are having a great BOI regatta this year so far. Weather has been amazing. 5 races so far with 1,2,2,1,1 on PHRF so far :) bring on day 3 :):):)

As a rocket scientist, :idea: a simple sliding scale for race entry fees should be sufficient financial incentive to encourage early entries, thereby helping both organisers and sponsors organise their respective activities, based upon real committments.

Perhaps even having a Dutch style auction where once the fee of say $50 is taken by an entry, the next "available" entry fee is $55 or $60 and so on in $5 or $10 steps, similar to TradeMe bidding. There could even be several fees at $150 (Current entry cost??) or at $100 or other price points.

This would provide a constantly updated list of entries as well as increasing incentives to commit and "pay NOW" before the price goes higher.

Like wise there could be a system for people wanting to crew in the race, but don't know who to contact for a berth, or fancy a ride on a different boat.

It's just a matter of allocation: boats needing crews and crews needing boats.

Perhaps crews could be valued by beer bottles !! with experience ratings.

Novices = 1 bottle; extra bottles for more local experience, up through Coastal Classics done, RNI, Sydney-Hobarts up to the Round the World stuff etc.

It could even create a "beer bidding" competition.

:thumbup: As a start for the crew needing boats, I'm available!! :thumbup:

But then again, thinking outside the square is also a problem.

Guest Crafty 1
Wonder if RNZYS will just alter the handicaps half way through the regatta to make sure a RNZYS member wins again

The answer to that is ...One design (sailors v sailors)

I agree Crafty 1, but you get cynical when the conditions are right on your side, get 3 2nds on the first day, and 1 1st (I think each race had a different 1st, so it wasn't as if 2 boats handicaps were miles out), so that night the handicap goes up nearly 10%. The next day results in 2 lasts and 1 2nd to last.

John mi

Now here's a thought maybe on day one your handicap was too low and so even by sailing as you did ( badly, lets be honest you kept the while 8.5 fleet waiting for at least a leg of your sailing )you got on the podium and then your handicap placing caused an increase as it does and no more podium visits for you

oh and hey are you sure no else in that division could have sailed well

Just out if interest how much practice did you do from what I saw some ( more) would have been good

johnk

1. I'm not saying no one else could have sailed well. The conditions suited me perfectly, it was light, and so I was actually beating other 8.5s over the line (very rare for me and PE). I agree with you johnk, usually I do keep the fleet waiting for a whole leg (live with it,it's gonna keep happening) but definitely not on that regatta.

2. Because I was not outright 1st each time, but second in 3 of the 4 races mean't that the handicap was NOT miles too low, unless on 3 seperate occasions other boats did blindingly well.

3. I was was even told at the prizegiving by an RNZYS person that my boat was definitely the most improved boat in the fleet. :wtf:

I don't really give a sh*t, as I've said before, handicaps by most clubs are not really indicative of how well you sail. I,ve even given away prizes before if I felt I haven't deserved it (ask Tim W). Really Markm is the only one true indication on how well a person is racing on the water. It's interesting where he put the fleet.

The practice bit, you must have had your head up your arse during the regatta, as I said, I was beating other boats over the line in that regatta. It's every other race you could accuse me of bad sailing, but for me to beat another 8.5 over the line mean's I'm sailing well (or the conditions suit me)

john mi

happy new year

hook line and sinker

I've had a look at the results yeah you did beat a couple of boats not really 8.5's ( on day one , one of them was a DNC)

if you finish second your handicap will go up not as much as if you win, the way the hcp works is the middle boths corrected time is what it corrects back too so those who finish first get penalised most then theose who finish second the next most and so on, the opposite happens at the other end of the fleet the last boat gets eased the most , so three second out of 4 races is too low

you might have been told and i think its a fair comment that you were the most improved boat but most improved is not the best/necessarily

clearly you do care about hcp because you had a cheap shot at the rnzys and this is the core of your first posts bleat. markm is just another system , like any system it depends on the data

i didnt have my head up my arse but we did go out and have a couple of practices before the regatta

we thought it was good to see your crew manged to stay on the boat for the whole regatta , yeah we remeber bay week

and dude you finished 4th overall just one place off the podium

John K

And happy new year to you too.

The boats I beat were not necessarily 8.5s :wtf: :wtf: why were they racing in our div??

Sorry ,maybe you don't realise that the 8.5 div takes in all boats that fit within the box. Those boats did and so does mine.

But we all know that our smaller boats won't ever get line, cos we only take up a portion of the box.

Most improved or best. I would say that best is definitely labelled to the 1st on line. Wouldn't most improved mean that one has been sailing at X handicap in the past (say 0.9). For this regatta he is racing at X +1 (say 0.9 + 0.01 = 0.91). If the rest is sailing at their handicap then he should win on handicap surely. Or is it that RNZYS sees only RNZYS members as winners.

I don't care about handicap wins. If I had worried about it at the time I could easily have put in a protest, but as I said it's not a big deal, I enjoyed the racing, it was well worth the money and most probably do it again. I don't expect to win cos I am not a RNZYS member. I made the comment flippantly, but stick by my statement till someone can correct me.

One difference with Mark's system is that he has taken a lot of time and care in using data from all races previously. With RNZYS, not sure where they get their data, but there has to be something wrong with that data if they feel they had to increase it by nearly 10%. That's like increasing a handicap from 0.8 to 0.88!!. With Mark's system, I can tell exactly how I raced in one race compared to how I have raced before. So not only am I comparing myself to fellow racers, but also to my historical races. I'm sure you do the same thing. If not try it.

Maybe I was a bit hard on you, I don't think your head could fit up your arse, (that's unfair, I take that back, you have not given me any reason to think you are a bighead, just out of interest are you a RNZYS member?) but I must admit, we did not go out and practice specifically for the regatta. When the boat's going (next week I hope) I race nearly every race I can, so get heaps of practice. I have never said I was a good sailor, and I am definitely a sh*t multi sailor, but hey, I am getting better.

Didn't you miss a few of more of my blunders, such as ramming Timberwolf, or cheating. Falling off the boat is just run of the norm for me...

John mi, I do think its out of line saying that you could never win because you are not a RNZYS member, just makes you look like a sore looser to me.

Anyway I thought all the handicaps were done by the NZMYC, greg roake?

Good point Roakey is indeed the handicapper

John mi

I am indeed a rnzys member but I also belong to rpnyc, kiyc tpmailyc and kcc

You do care about handicap wins , it's the whole gripe of your thread, but what could have you protested about

I would challenge you to prove your claim you don't win if your not an rnzys member

Dude I compare myself to the race ive just done and then just let it go

Hcp is always subject to some complaints even marks's system has weaknesses such as not adjusting for an OCs, that you go back for , going aground, sailing in the tide , mising a shift. Marks system also adjusts as YOUR performance does where some people prefer the hcp to attach to the boat

I have spent a lot of time in the 8.5 fleet waiting for you to finish and watching your antics on the track and you should do some practice

johnMi,

Here's a suggestion...

Before the BMW regatta

a.) Join the RNZYS

b.) Make a generous donation to the Youth Programme making sure you inform all of the RNZYS general committee of your generosity.

c.) Have a few practice sessions so that you go into the regatta at the top of your game

d.) On second thoughts forget c.) by doing both a.) and b.) victory is assured anyway !

So what do you think ???

Personally the only thing in the above list that I think would make a difference is c.) but go ahead and prove us all wrong ! In any case I'm sure the Youth Programme would appreciate the donation

Archived