BMW Regatta suprise

candela

So this year BMW regatta have made the lowest PHRF 0.750 to be able to enter a division.

I am interest to hear how many people out there would have entered D or E division this year.

I would also be keen to hear any logic of why the committee would not even give boats under 0.750 PHRF the chance to see if there was enough to make a division.

On a rough look at racetrack, out of the top 100 boats that have done the most races about 25% of them would be well under 0.750 PHRF.

Last year a few of us that would have entered E division had a wedding to go to that weekend so it meant that a couple of other boats also did not enter as they had no one to race with. We were all looking forward to getting out there again this year but it looks like we have been cut out.

I had another look as I found this earlier, but there is actually an error between the NOR and Entry form, NOR lists C Division as up to .809 yet entry form lists C division as .750 to .809, looking at last years results there was no C division but D division had boats up to .8, I will let them know of the discrepancy and advise that there will be a flood of smaller boats which will want there own division!!!

I will also advise on my PHRF that Candela has regulary beaten the Coyote and my PHRF should be adjusted accordingly

I will also advise on my PHRF that Candela has regulary beaten the Coyote and my PHRF should be adjusted accordingly

Thats cus your doing it wrong.... :-P

The Junkyard Dog never got touched by and SR hehe

I dont know if I would admit that on a form like this!!! I guess you should be used to having a faster boat and losing to Candela :o

I emailed the organisers previously and was given a response to the gist of we'll have a division if enough boats sign up - however who will sign up without a division? A catch 22 - After some assurance that my entry would be refunded (though this was not absolute, which would be more assuring) if I signed up early I might just - anyone else want to join? I think at least 6 boats need to be in to make the argument that a D div is supported...

interesting to note that the NOR just states div. C as up to .809 while the entry form limits it to 0.75 - 0.809. At the end of the day I'm sure that the organisers will do whatever they can to accomodate all entries. You've only got to make 4 or 5 phonecalls to skippers to get an additional division - can't be that hard.

Ok Guys. This was raised at the BBYC Keeler meeting and we are doing everything we can to Re-Instate a "D" division. To be able to do this we need to drum up support from 6 or more boats that would enter.

So far we have:

Candella

Humdinger

Faster Coyote

Revolution blues?

Can we tempt the likes of Smokey Joe? Any more Davo 28's or Marauders etc that want to join too?

That's a very good question

Maybe it needs more or different or earlier or better promotion

Maybe sailors need to enter sooner

Is a lack of action and organization the problem

I agree it's a strange question

Maybe sailors need to enter sooner

Got it in one there John. Being involved heavily in the Keeler committee of BBYC it is amazing how people want to leave entering til the last minute and then wonder why fleet sizes are so small. Everyone looks at the entry list and goes ah nah not til a good few boats enter = no body enters til last minute = less entries.

Its very frustrating as an event organiser also trust me. Steve its not bleeting. They run a regatta so you as a sailor can go out and enjoy it. If you dont enter they wont run it, Maybe you could get behind it and russtle up a division? Or even just entering one boat (which takes less time than an internet post) which will get the ball rolling.

Plan at the moment is to try to get the 5 J24's out on the course if we can. And drive Panmure to get the 1/4 tonner fleet out and then build a division from here. (Im not racing this division but merely helping a few friends who said they want a division - the SR's are having their own division if we can rustle enough boats there too).

So if your interested and wanting to race that division flick me an email of interest to chrism@ACIT.co.nz and i will register your interest and get the ball rolling. But like i said i need 6 boats before the sponsor will even blink at it and before its worth running.

Same with the rum race, people are still trying to enter as we go into the start sequence. :evil:

How about allowing people to enter on line but with payment and final confirmation say 24 hrs before the first start. Others would be able to see an entry list and make a decision. Plus make an entry before waiting to seea weather forecast.

As NZ becomes poorer entry fees are an issue and I'm sure a lot of potential entries hold off on those two issues, then jump in at the last moment.

Just a thought.

Actually this starts to show what the problem is

The clubs needy commit resources and advertise and promote the event

AND

The sailors need to enter and do so early

You can't have refundable fees , you can't enter on line not pay until you race ( ir not commit) and expect he club to survive finacially and expect race committees to turn up

If you can't afford the entry fee then levy the crew a share they all benefit from the organization or drink one less beer ( or that rum you all talk about) at the end of day function

M

Some of theses excuses are a bit thin

Chris Bouzaids and and co of the past didnt wait to enter the " ton" cup trails because only 3 or 4 other boats entered

His crew entered trained won and went on to represent NZ with distinction

It's time to stop talking about what we are Gunna do and actually do it

One thing we have tried with our Port Nic regatta this year is to offer a reduced entry fee for those that enter before Xmas, and the fee goes up the closer to the event it gets. That way we are trying to encourage boats to get organised and enter early.

It never ceases to amaze me that regatta organisers work for a year to put an event together and a few weeks out some (not all) boats are not organised/committed or whatever to actually put in an entry.

Archived