Mahurangi 2012

ballystick

It never ceases to amaze me how people cut corners (when not racing). I have bumped into things when tide cheating on yachts but how do you stick a freaking launch on the putty?

how do you stick a freaking launch on the putty?

Ummm ... I can think of several ways to do it, but they mostly involve incredible incompetence or a dogged determination to succeed. :thumbup:

Could have been a dragging anchor or a misguided attempt to cut the corner or just a dumbarse place to drop the anchor in the first place.

In some ways its kinda surprising that we don't see more launches getting into trouble because the required investment in seamanship is so much less for a launch than for a yacht. You actually need to know how to sail a yacht whereas with a launch you just jump in, turn the key and you're off (a bit like a car), so a newbie or less knowledgable person is more likely to jump in and drive a launch while a yacht would be in the too hard basket.

however it happened, its still a cool photo. :)

There was a lot of chain out in front of the boat, maybe they dragged in that crap weather on friday or on the wind change when it went W to S.. SE like a switch was flicked.

I didn't see whether it was towed away or made it under their own steam , you'd think the drive gear would be damaged even if they just sat like that.( as opposed to run aground.)

The boat refloated and disappeared that night (next high tide). There appeared to be very little damage. It possibly anchored close by in an outgoing tide with lots of anchor chain out, when the tide changed if drifted up on to the shelf, obviously to avoid the slop from all the passing boats???!!

Archived