Small boat exploded in Auck.

wheels

I'm just very relieved to hear it wasn't a yacht!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :silent:

:lol: and here I thought it was only me that got annoyed by the boaties ! I'll share this with my wife who thinks its only me too. :clap:

Can anybody tell me why it is that a boatie has to pass you (yachtie ) at high speed in less than 200m distant when they can see you're either enjoying your slow sail, at anchor, or fishing?

Sailing in the bay of islands this summer with all these boaties criss-crossing my path at high speed creating massive wakes was a true test of my anger management skills. I had evil thoughts though :twisted:

I was going to include a smart toungue in cheek comment, but thought so soon after the event, I better not.

There simply wasn't enough time between pushing some cars infront of Fire Hydrants and coming up with some smart comment.

I was just reading an update and a comment was made that an electrical fault was thought may have caused the explosion. Ummmmm, I think it was inflammable Fumes like Petrol or LPG that caused the Explosion, the electrical may well have ignited it. Apparently it happened as soon as her started the engine. A common thing to cause an explosion. A spark from the Starter brushes or from a Distributor or such like a wooomph. A picture shows it was well ablaze.

I'm just very relieved to hear it wasn't a yacht!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :silent:

:lol: and here I thought it was only me that got annoyed by the boaties ! I'll share this with my wife who thinks its only me too. :clap:

Can anybody tell me why it is that a boatie has to pass you (yachtie ) at high speed in less than 200m distant when they can see you're either enjoying your slow sail, at anchor, or fishing?

Sailing in the bay of islands this summer with all these boaties criss-crossing my path at high speed creating massive wakes was a true test of my anger management skills. I had evil thoughts though :twisted:

I have frequent internal musings about the weight penalty that would be imposed by fitting torpedo tubes.

Yeah must admit I had to supress some pretty uncharitable thoughts towards mobos when two of them caught me in a pincer movement as I approached GH entrance - the exact same time when you start to move around the boat to prepare lines for arrival, fenders, boat hooks, people down below are emptying the fridge preparing to leave etc. And 2 planning stinkpots came past me from astern, one on each side at virtually identical speeds and distance - meaning I got hit by 2 big wakes from opposite sides at the same time. I optimisitcally hoped they might cancel each other out but oh no, they were twice as bad...

Some weird sh*t on sunday passing Torpedo beacon. Probably 10 boats clustered up like usual, us out wide and we heard horns going off. Then one launch hits the pedal and powers past a big markline looking thing and gives him another big horn blast.

A couple of minutes later the same markline has overtaken us , about 50 metres ahead and makes a sharp port turn across our path. I think thats what we'd seen with the other launch , he'd turned across him too.

Looked like a kid on the flybridge.

I don't know if it was chine walking as my offsider suggests or what , but it was no place for learner driving.

No that is not chine walk. That will be deliberate alteration of course.

I am amased by these idiots in powered boats. Especially the big Gin Palaces. Had one the other day that I dunno what his problem was, but he decided he juat had to beat me through the gap into Rocky Bay no matter what. Had another one at North Head that decided to run right between me and another Yacht. He could have gone right round both of us and had no other boats to block him, but no, he went right between us. We were only 10 to 15m apart. The fit was so tight, he was actually quickly looking left and right and left and right repeatedly to ensure he didn't hit either of us.

I always thought the fizz boats passing close by was due to the yachts being used as direction markers to help the inexperienced navigate - just go to that yacht and turn to the left...

You are not alone!

+1, but what can you do but take another chill pill.

You can write to the Harbour Master - Jim Lyle here in the BOI. Nothing will ever change unless you complain.

I find the worst culprits are usually the commercial vessels - particularly big companies like Fullers & Explore NZ whose skippers seem to think they own the Bay. Many's the time I've had a dive flag up and they still come roaring past at 15 knots within 50m of the boat. Oh yeah, and they seem to LOVE steaming past you and digging a big arse hole in the water while you're quietly ghosting along under a barely filled spinnaker. I guess they have to get super-close to let the tourists on board take heaps of close-up pics of you bobbing about like a f**king metronome in their wake. :evil:

Archived