Manhandling outboard

banaari

Seeking ideas on this one ... how to easily get an outboard on and off the back, singlehanded.

It's a Yamaha 8, not exactly the heaviest object in creation, but it's on a lifting bracket and hence about 8 inches aft of the transom.

And due to the angles, it's nigh on impossible - just can't get the necessary lift without falling off the stern!

Don't want to leave it on the back 'cause I think it'll just be a magnet for those critters with an eye to portable valuables... so would like to remove it and park it in the cabin when not in use.

Thoughts?

We have a cover for ours - covers it right up. Nice light grey colour - and old looking. Looks like there is nothing of value beneath it really. Far too heavy for me to lift off - that's a 'for the boss' job. :wink:

M

A lot of cruisers will paint the outboard with flat grey paint as soon as they buy it, same reasoning. Can you hang a block and tackle off the end of the main boom?

we use a combination of the boarding ladder and a tiny ledge on the transom, each of which are enough for one person to get leverage. it's really a two-person job with our 10hp though, given the fairly catastrophic nature of failure.

where do you keep the boat? it's a lot easier in calm conditions. on a bouncy day at the swing mooring it can be exciting.

(...) given the fairly catastrophic nature of failure.

Exactly :)

where do you keep the boat?

Ultimately, a pile mooring in the Kerikeri basin.

Quite like the notion of a ledge... wouldn't take much, just something to park one foot on.

Ive got a 15hp hanging on the back of Mercenary on a bracket. And its a pain in the ass to lift off, Do it most times we race. But definately a fan of tying it on first! Then just go nuts out and lift i have found tends to work. Agree on the weight thing its bloody heavy at 37kg.

Have you thought of trying one of these either tied to a block on the boom end (as Squid suggested) or to a halyard with someone on the other end to share some of the weight?

motor-lift-2.jpg

OYSTR, I've not tried buying one in NZ but I'd have thought they are available here or easily homemade.

Otherwise you could look offshore e.g.

http://www.jslboatproducts.co.uk/boatproducts.htm (scroll halfway down the page)

http://www.safety-marine.co.uk/outboard-engine-accessories/p5226s28/davis-motor-caddy-outboard-engine-lifting-sling.htm

http://www.coastalinflatables.com/accessories.html (scroll down again)

stand on the hull side of the outboard bracket. do it with the 8hp for the ssanz. with legs either side of the backstay. in saying that iv seen some people really struggle with it. think of an easy way to get turned around without getting tied up and do it that way. nothing like having an arm either side of the backstay or having you one side and the outboard the other wrapped around the behind the backstay

just a few thoughts..

*8 HP is heavy enough ! I see some friends strugle with theirs from dingy to boat and back...me I have a pissy 2.5 for my dingy : )

To your problem. Using straps as per previous posts ...buy the lengths get a few fittings and stich it your self or get one of the sail guys to do it...(do it once type of thing)..

Next using your main sheet, attach it, with the topping lift holding the boom up say 30 deg to increase the height..

It will still be pulling forewards but at a better angle...then using a normal sausage type fender as a roller and to protect your transome, gently lift/pull it.

With the purchase forwards and high you should be just about able to swing it down your companionway......

I dont know your boat so cant guess the angles, but you should be able to do it easily and after a few goes set up a system that makes it straightforward..

I think you are being sensible. Dealing with awkward weights is about being inventive not stronger...your back will thank you..

cheers

m

oars?

Hmmmm: "No" :)

Already tried one alternative: Anybody who happened to be around the Milford Marina on Anniversary Day would have been privy to our ignominious arrival under tow, due to the intransigence of the previous outboard. (Which is now clocking up a spectacular number of bids in $1 increments on TradeMe, and good luck to 'em.)

Yuloh?

Have to admit, have been temped to investigate. Although final mooring is about two miles up river from the sea and the current berth is graced with a weir, considerable flow, and the occasional need to hold position while something else transits. And if I'm STILL there if/when they build a lifting bridge over the creek things would REALLY get interesting.

Anybody actually tried a yuloh?

Just a thought about the strap idea, you might even find that a safety harness could be made to fit with little or no alteration.... dunno.... need to check it.

Archived