Wheels drift & 'nom de plumes'

L'escale

Wheels drift in recent post where he refers to difficulty in meeting up at anchor leads me to comment thus:-

1) I have never agreed with the use of a 'nom de plume' on this site as it does make it impossible to recognise another crewdoter via their boat name - if we all used our boat names (incl wheels) then problem solved.

I acknowledge that this has the potential for the odd negative due to the potential to settle old scores!

2) Although I am not a prolific poster I do lurk a lot and have noticed some (well a lot actually) comments made that might be better thought through if they did not enjoy the anonymity that a 'nom de plume' gives.

Doesn't keep me awake at night just think it might be a better site if adopted/encouraged?

I look forward to others thoughts on this and especially from 'Grumpen Fuhrer head Ogre' :wave:

ACTUALLY...

I think it would be a much better site if NO-ONE used their boat names.

Far too often on here, someone who knows someone who knows you, works out exactly who you are on this site. They then read one post you have made, decide that you are a dick head and tell everyone at their yacht club such. So because of one person who might have taken something completely out of context, you end up with a bad rap with people who have not yet met you and do not know you in any way.

Because this is the internet and anyone can read it, names should be anonymous to anyone except those you actually want to know and communicate with. The nature of this is that people might say things they otherwise would keep to themselves. If you are browsing this, or any other web forum, you have to remember that most things are not said to cause offence. Sometimes they will be heat of the moment and sometimes it will just be you interpreting it the wrong way. Some times things will unfairly target an individual and result in a private dispute being aired publicly, in which case it should be moderated.

The simple answer is that, if you are going to be offended, maybe you should throw your computer in the trash because the internet is not censored. :thumbup:

Is this the post you were referring to?

No so far I have found Auckland boaties to be very very friendly, it just isn't as easy to meet them out on the water is all. And many more up here have families aboard, so they have their own world. Interestingly (and I have only just thought of this) but you rarely come across families on boats in the sounds. Sure there are some, but most are either in small boats or have Baches.

I guess if you want to know a Crew Ogre in real life you can PM them for contact details?

HAHA talking about misinterpretation... I actually thought you were calling wheels out for something he said! :lol:

One obvious disadvantage of using your boat name is if you sell your boat you then have to change your name.

One way to identify a Crew.Ogre is for us all to fly crew.org flags while we're oot and aboot. Then, if you see a crew.org flag you can rock on over and introduce yourself .... and conversely if you're not feeling social you can leave your flag down below.

Dunno if this is a workable idea or not ... would depend on 2 things really, His Squidliness having a supply of Crew.org flags available and the slackers who hang out on this forum buying them. I believe that in the past there has been a failure in part 2 of that idea so part 1 subsequently went into failure mode too ... that is, no bugger bought the flags so Squid stopped getting them made.

I will get another small order in, if they sell I will get more, from memory the last lot were about $40 a pop.

Am I reall ythat mean? BTW I have had another regular giving me a hard time because he wants to remain anonymous.

I'll be listening.

I was shocked at the cost to produce burgees for my yacht club, but I've recently found another supplier who can do them for sub-$10, and assures me they're identical quality. I remain sceptical until I receive them, but I can keep you posted if you like Squid?

I'm keen - always have been keen to fly a crew.org flag - just never knew when they were available - did you get some made Squid? I thought Zoe ran out, and that was that. . .

M

1) I have never agreed with the use of a 'nom de plume' on this site as it does make it impossible to recognise another crewdoter via their boat name - if we all used our boat names (incl wheels) then problem solved.

Problem solved? I don't think so Tim...

1. So, If you don't have your own boat, then you're not allowed to post?

2. Or, if you have more than one boat, you have to have a hyphented name?

3. If you do have a boat, and you sell it, and you get a new boat, do you change your forum name to the new boat's name? Does the name on all your old posts change retrospecively, or does it stay the name of the boat you owned when you made the post? How do people know that "Bob" - the person they have come to know as "Boatname A" is now "Boatname B" because "Bob" just bought Boat B off "Mary"? And If "Boatname B" was previously "Mary", who can tell when the name "Boatname B" in the forum stopped being Mary and started being Bob? And if "Mary" does not buy another boat, what does her forum name become?

If the answer to 1. above is that crew should have the name of the boat they crew on, how do you tell the people on the same boat apart in the forum; and for people who crew on multiple boats, do they need long hyphenated names? (I have crewed on at least 6 boats in the last year, and I don't boat hop around really)... So I might be "Airship-Flying Circus-Clear Vision-Ran Tan II-Loloma-Nedax Racing"? That's messy. And if someone else had sailed on the some or all of the same boats, how do you tell them and I apart?

So, sorry, I reject your idea as unworkable and incomplete. And that's not even getting into the debate about whether anonymity has advantages that outweigh the disadvantages, or whether there are ways to find out who is who in a boat names kind of way...

I'm keen - always have been keen to fly a crew.org flag - just never knew when they were available - did you get some made Squid? I thought Zoe ran out, and that was that. . .

M

I have tried a couple of times, but took ages to sell them so I had money lying around in stock. Just spoke to BB's contact and it sounds promising. If i could sell them at $25 instead of $40 they might go faster, but I need to order a lot more to get the price, so around we go.

Last time I asked here who would be interested, got 20 replies, ordered 10, sold 5.

I am keen on a smaller Burgee too Squid. Put me down for one when they are made. The big thing is just a weeny bit too big and flaps rather loudly in the wind. I might try and hem the thing down slightly. I flew the banner while out by the way, but apart from getting strange looks, the only other "crew" boat we came across was smithy and he promptly up anchored and left as soon as we arrived :wink: :lol:

Hmmm, strangly, I had always thought the type of boat and name of boat was in the Field to the left along with my "Crew" name. Has that changed or am I mistaken.

I'll order one. And I will pay the money before you place the order. I am sure others would be happy to do the same.

Yep, I'd be up for one. Happy to pay in advance.

That's encouraging, he's sending me proofs, stand by.

I would like one too! 8)

& it would be good if all on this forum had one so to recognise each other when on the water & say hello especially for all those who come up to the bay of islands in summer. :thumbup:

Guest Crafty 1
ACTUALLY...

I think it would be a much better site if NO-ONE used their boat names.

Far too often on here, someone who knows someone who knows you, works out exactly who you are on this site. They then read one post you have made, decide that you are a dick head and tell everyone at their yacht club such. So because of one person who might have taken something completely out of context, you end up with a bad rap with people who have not yet met you and do not know you in any way.

Because this is the internet and anyone can read it, names should be anonymous to anyone except those you actually want to know and communicate with. The nature of this is that people might say things they otherwise would keep to themselves. If you are browsing this, or any other web forum, you have to remember that most things are not said to cause offence. Sometimes they will be heat of the moment and sometimes it will just be you interpreting it the wrong way. Some times things will unfairly target an individual and result in a private dispute being aired publicly, in which case it should be moderated.

. :thumbup:

No? :wtf: really :wtf: ?

well said! but i fear the moderator may be a little bit biased.

The site appears to allow "open Warfare". but only for some and not for others.

and some can take it others cannot.

Archived