Gay Sailors

If you pulled into a bay for the night and saw a crew.org flag, and a gay rainbow flag, would you  

94 members have voted

1. 1. If you pulled into a bay for the night and saw a crew.org flag, and a gay rainbow flag, would you

• Anchor far away.
    • Pop over for a drink as they might have some great wine.
    • Move to another bay.
    • None of the above, anchor normally and not care.

Seriously though, it really is quite sad that people feel that they need to be guarded and to worry about what they say and do for fear of the negative and possibly violent reaction from others all because of an unenlightened or prejudiced attitude held by a minority.

Hear Hear :clap: :clap:

Being raised in a 'christian' home (please note the quotation marks :lol: ), I was brainwashed with all sorts of unenlightened prejudices that have taken a lot of unlearning and experience to overcome.

It was blindingly obvious to me just how dis-empowering those prejudices were when I realised that if I allowed myself to be true to myself, I would no longer be accepted in this group. As this and my family was all that I knew, that was a frightening prospect.

So I understand why it is that people hide their true selves when they don't fit inside the 'box' of normality. However, it looks to me from this poll that the loudest voices on Crew do not harbour homophobic tendencies. Amazing really seeing as you are all such a staunch Kiwi crowd (fleet?) of blokes. I applaud you for your open mindedness. :clap: :clap:

No, I have never read a Womans Day or New Idea in my life :)

Seriously though, it really is quite sad that people feel that they need to be guarded and to worry about what they say and do for fear of the negative and possibly violent reaction from others all because of an unenlightened or prejudiced attitude held by a minority.

Yeah man. I used to own a piedey. I know how that feels.

I even harbour secret desires to play with multihulls on occasion ... but once again, its nothing I'd talk openly about in some circles for fear of ridicule and derision.

starting with Mrs Grinna dare I say it? :lol:

A bit like me having to bite my tongue in many places rather than openly come out and say all fizz nasties should be burnt to the waterline.

This is a big call from someone who has (barely) suppressed tendencies that lie in the direction of fizz nasties. :think: :silent:

OK, I'm coming out of the maritime closet, so to speak, as I've been busted now twice today over the above comment. Yes there is a desire to get a barge that can move which still being powered isn't anything fizz like. A fizz nasty is faster than 8kts.........................

a bit like the red meanie in my backyard that does do over 55kts.

You been told toddy Grinna? Nope?

OK then I will - You're a bastard! :lol:

Come over to the dark side young KM. The force allows you to move without wind, to enjoy winter without wet weather gear and to run as many electronics as your batteries and alternators (plural) can handle. No more will you be weighed down by concerns of too much on board and shallow anchoring will be within your reach. The darkside has many benefits including racing on other people's yachts at their expense. :D

How did we get from the original topic to stinkpots?? Oh yeah, the whole closet thing. I WANT A TRAWLER (but hope to be able to fit a hobie onboard as well). I have my own reasons.

Really I couldn't care less, I'm not even sure why someone needs to "Come Out" you are what you are and if people don't like it it's their problem!

I'm not even sure there is a need for a Gay Yacht club? Is there a yacht club for Women only? (umm probably is! :-))or Men only? or darker people only? surely that's a road to segregating every one!

But thats view as an "outsider" and is probably based on something that happened in the past.

Anyway if you are Gay, Lesbian, Blue or from another planet feel free to come sailing on my boat, if your a not a douche then me and my crew don't really give one! :-)

SHANE

I think History has shown this for many groups. They come under some form of attack/persecution, time moves on, society changes and becomes more tolerant, but the group that was Presecuted remains a segregated group from there own doing. Personaly I don't want to see a Gay club, because I am then I and others that are not Gay are segregated. We see it with Maori groups today. Whether we want to be apart of somethiung or not, it deosn't matter, we are automaticaly excluded. I know that is not the intention of that group, but it does tend to be the unintended result.

A bit like me having to bite my tongue in many places rather than openly come out and say all fizz nasties should be burnt to the waterline.

This is a big call from someone who has (barely) suppressed tendencies that lie in the direction of fizz nasties. :think: :silent:

OK, I'm coming out of the maritime closet, so to speak, as I've been busted now twice today over the above comment. Yes there is a desire to get a barge that can move which still being powered isn't anything fizz like. A fizz nasty is faster than 8kts.........................

a bit like the red meanie in my backyard that does do over 55kts.

You been told toddy Grinna? Nope?

OK then I will - You're a bastard! :lol:

I liked the idea that Bones had with regard to a couple of Wharram52'hulls with a whare on top, no rig outboard power as a basecamp/party event, perfect for the northern east coast sadly he departed before completion

The Aussies are ahead of us on this one, even affiliated. Must ask YNZ if they would have a problem.

http://www.ascc.org.au/history/

I have mixed feelings about this... (a) if for social reasons they want an environment in which all the participants are known to be gay without asking - good on them; after all, straight people assume the same luxury: A person of the opposite gender can normally be assumed to be sexually compatible. (B) If OTOH it's a defensive reaction to prejudice displayed by a small minority of ignorant f***wits, then it makes me sad.

© I would regret the absence of the contribution made by our gay brethren to the sailing scene at large, just as society in general would be the poorer without them... monocultures are boring.

Our old boat had a permanent rainbow painted on, I embraced it so much I made a matching sail cover.

Anyway there are enough man loving jokes in sailing, not to care about someone else's private life.

Ogre, if you really think it's necessary to do something different to tap into the gay sailing scene then maybe just launch a parallel website... maybe call it Screw.org.nz?

Ummm, tentatively stepping out with a question I may wish I didn't ask, but.....why is Gay boating any different to any other boating. Why do we need a seperate Gay forum for sailing? Unless you are thinking it as a Dating forum Squid.

Ummm, tentatively stepping out with a question I may wish I didn't ask, but.....why is Gay boating any different to any other boating. Why do we need a seperate Gay forum for sailing?

I think I am qualified to answer that question.

I have sailed in two Gay Games Regattas and won the Euro Gay Cup and Sydney Mardi Gras Regatta. I've also been a member of the UK Sailing & Cruising Association (formed 25 years ago) and now the Australian Sailing and Cruising Association based in Sydney. I am the President of GLORY(Gay & Lesbian Organisaiton for Racing & Yachting) which was formed during the Gay Games in Sydney 2002 to promote the sport to the gay community, to encourage the creation of new LGBT sailing groups and events, and to represent the sport to organisations such as the Federation of Gay Games.

Through many years of sailing I never experienced any homophobia until I sailed on a boat in Sydney that had one crew member who's every comment contained a gay slur - needless to say I didn't sail with them again. I normally race with a straight crew and while we enjoy the racing, and I am treated like any member or the crew, I'm always aware that there are some things that I can share with them - and some things that I can't.

So I would say that the benefit of sailing with a gay crew is that you can compete and be complete in both your sailing and personal life.

The ASCCwould welcome participants from NZ in the Mardi Gras Regatta in March and I'd like to see a team from NZ at the Gay Games 9 in Cleveland, OH, USA in August 2014 where sailing is amongst the 34 sports and cultural events on offer - anyone can take part - you don't even have to be gay!

Ummm, tentatively stepping out with a question I may wish I didn't ask, but.....why is Gay boating any different to any other boating. Why do we need a seperate Gay forum for sailing?

I think I am qualified to answer that question.

I have sailed in two Gay Games Regattas and won the Euro Gay Cup and Sydney Mardi Gras Regatta. I've also been a member of the UK Sailing & Cruising Association (formed 25 years ago) and now the Australian Sailing and Cruising Association based in Sydney. I am the President of GLORY(Gay & Lesbian Organisaiton for Racing & Yachting) which was formed during the Gay Games in Sydney 2002 to promote the sport to the gay community, to encourage the creation of new LGBT sailing groups and events, and to represent the sport to organisations such as the Federation of Gay Games.

Through many years of sailing I never experienced any homophobia until I sailed on a boat in Sydney that had one crew member who's every comment contained a gay slur - needless to say I didn't sail with them again. I normally race with a straight crew and while we enjoy the racing, and I am treated like any member or the crew, I'm always aware that there are some things that I can share with them - and some things that I can't.

So I would say that the benefit of sailing with a gay crew is that you can compete and be complete in both your sailing and personal life.

The ASCCwould welcome participants from NZ in the Mardi Gras Regatta in March and I'd like to see a team from NZ at the Gay Games 9 in Cleveland, OH, USA in August 2014 where sailing is amongst the 34 sports and cultural events on offer - anyone can take part - you don't even have to be gay!

poll at the top shows majority really couldn't give a f*ck, neither can I to be honest, Motorbike pretty much nailed it so take it onboard and get on with your life

I'm always aware that there are some things that I can share with them - and some things that I can't.

For what it's worth straight people also don't share all aspects of their life with everyone. So I don't think it makes gay people any different. Peoples sexual orientation is their own business. I don't want to hear about anyone's sex life, gay or straight. I have gay & straight friends, I have friends with gay & straight kids. They are all friends or kids of friends - that's it. All people come in different shapes, sizes, races and beliefs. So I don't see the need to provide a specific forum for people who are already doing what we all do - living their own lives in the way they choose. Here we mostly talk about sailing and things that affect sailing. What makes gay people any different in that respect?

Well said AA. Get on with our own lives. Be happy, try not to offend others.

Yep the poll confirms.

Many of us have lived, worked, and been friends with gay folk over many years. Without being gay.

Also think shame about the rainbow, thinking if everyone had a rainbow flag we could end this stupidness, and put a rather nice flag into every :D day use.

As someone said, get over it.

Being gay is no longer an issue.

Lets all get a rainbow flag.... :D

For what it's worth multi people also don't share all aspects of their life with everyone. So I don't think it makes multi people any different. Peoples hull number orientation is their own business. I have mono & multi friends, I have friends with kids that sail on monos and multis. They are all friends or kids of friends - that's it. All people come in different shapes, sizes, races and beliefs. So I don't see the need to provide a specific forum for people who are already doing what we all do - living their own lives in the way they choose. Here we mostly talk about sailing and things that affect sailing. What makes multi people any different in that respect?

:wink:

For what it's worth multi people also don't share all aspects of their life with everyone. So I don't think it makes multi people any different. Peoples hull number orientation is their own business. I have mono & multi friends, I have friends with kids that sail on monos and multis. They are all friends or kids of friends - that's it. All people come in different shapes, sizes, races and beliefs. So I don't see the need to provide a specific forum for people who are already doing what we all do - living their own lives in the way they choose. Here we mostly talk about sailing and things that affect sailing. What makes multi people any different in that respect?

:wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

Archived