Gas bottles

One of this year's jobs is a proper gas locker so the Mariner Princess can be fired up again and the single burner put in the backup department. Although convenient I wasn't comfortable with the gas bottle being inside.

When it comes to gas bottles is there any that are better or worse than others? I'm looking at 8 or 9kg bottles.

Besides weight is there any advantage to ali bottles?

Any advice from the voice of experience appreciated. Thanks

Now illegal for a gas bottle to be inside. Make sure you have a locker that has a "drain hole" that can allow any possible Gas leak to drain overboard. Not particularly easy in some boats, but it is a legal requirment.

Ali bottles are expensive, but not as prone to corrosion as a painted steel bottle. I think you can buy Galv bottles and they may possibly be better for long lastingness.

I don't know why they don't anodise the Ali bottles.

Aluminium bottles are a total ripoff (IMHO) and the weight difference is pretty marginal.

Galv steel bottles would be best, but don't seem to be available in NZ - readily available in australia. Suggestions last year were to buy a painted bottle and get it galved, and then tested.

have seen clear fibreglass bottles which are great as you can see the level ..plus they are much lighter...however they havent been registered in this country by the overseas manufacturer

I was always of the opinion that aluminium gas bottles would be better on boats because the alloy wouldn't rust and leave stains and would survive much longer than steel. Turns out that 10 years is a good run for aluminium gas bottles because when they're tested at 10 years old the valve has to be removed and the valve, being a dissimilar metal, tends to tear out the weakened aluminium threads in the bottle itself and render the tank useless. While a smear of tef-gel or similar would probably prevent this, convention says that you never lubricate threads of gas fittings.

So .... aluminium tanks are more expensive and while they don't rust they do tend to fizz between tank and valve which weakens the valve threads which then strip when the valve is removed for testing.

Cheapest answer is steel gas bottles with swaps instead of fills (which is the way most service stations are these days anyway).

Cheapest answer is steel gas bottles with swaps instead of fills (which is the way most service stations are these days anyway).

Then they are not on the boat long enough to go rusty!

:thumbup:

I was always of the opinion that aluminium gas bottles would be better on boats because the alloy wouldn't rust and leave stains and would survive much longer than steel. Turns out that 10 years is a good run for aluminium gas bottles because when they're tested at 10 years old the valve has to be removed and the valve, being a dissimilar metal, tends to tear out the weakened aluminium threads in the bottle itself and render the tank useless. While a smear of tef-gel or similar would probably prevent this, convention says that you never lubricate threads of gas fittings.

So .... aluminium tanks are more expensive and while they don't rust they do tend to fizz between tank and valve which weakens the valve threads which then strip when the valve is removed for testing.

Ive hade my aluminium bottle tested twice now so its over twenty years old still fine.

Ally...Glass...stainlesss....steel...

First with ally...we dont have them here. I would want to be so sure that there was no chance of a dissimilar metal contact, that I couldnt have them on my boat.

A coin or similar could cause corrosion to a deverstating degree. The risk may be low but ..

Glass too expensive for me...

Stainless...the same....

I go for steel and own my bottles. I repaint (a quick spray) to keep corrosion low.

I chose the ugly route of above deck mounting, rather than vented deck lockers..not a good look on a nice racing boat.

We get ten years here between tests (but dont use that as an acscuse to keep using a rubbish bottle)

What the cruisers do is to start with a new bottle...run it close to test...and then go to a swap and go bottle.

Checking the date stamp.

Don't tell anyone but the old process of transferring gas from one bottle to the other is still alive in the cruising world. Different valves, different bottle sizes can result in the difficulty of getting bottles filled. Up ending one bottle to fill the other with no regulator in the plumbing is the way its done.

Up ending one bottle to fill the other with no regulator in the plumbing is the way its done

Yup, heard of that technique. The previous owner of our boat ran into issues filling aluminium gas bottles in New Cal and ended up decanting LPG. Don't forget to undo the screw on the side of the valve ... when the gas comes out of there your tank is full.

I've also been advised that decanting LPG is very dangerous and is likely to result in explosions. I don't think it'd be my first option ... but it may still be on the list somewhere.

Its technically P48 so it generates about 48psi of pressure when it evaporates. The bleed valve is letting the gas out. That's the dangerous bit the gas. If you leave the bottle to be filled on its side it will only half fill will liquid and you are done.

Had alot to do with LPG and it's pressure. It ranges a bit due to temperature, but around 100 to 150PSI in the bottle. The Bottle has a pressure rupture disc to protect it from exploding in a fire and the Tank itself is tested to a far far higher pressure. The big danger is having the Gas leak and then hang around and being heavier than air, it can drop down drains and whatever.