Brookes and Gatehouse Radio Direction Finder - what to do

MuzzaB

You youngins can move right along. Nothing for you here.

But for the older folk...

I am about to dispose of a Brookes and Gatehouse Homer radio direction finder, which was new back in about '76. I was glad to have it aboard a few times, I can tell you. It could pick up a signal or two approaching the coast in cloud and rain when you hadn't been able to get a good shot with the sextant for days. But these days, in the era of that new fangled satellite navigation it is just a museum piece.

I last used it in '85. Then took it off the boat and stored it. It has been stored ever since, until I found it on a trip to Auckland this week, under my parents' house.

As I was about to toss it in the bin, I hesitated. It really is a fine instrument, with a beautiful compass attached.

Can anybody think of any constructive uses for it (sensible or otherwise)?

7cz81.jpg

My email friend

I'll have it if it is cheap .!.

Would fit nicely on the 1917 boat I have or even here at home to find out where the local radio staitons are really broadcasting from...with fm there is no bar antenia to point, sigh.

what is arming a lead line? and would it help with fishing? :wtf:

'E didn't 'arm 'is lead line. 'E 'armed 'is lead. He ran 'is boat into a rock and smacked the bottom of 'is keel (where the lead is).

T' ain't nuffin you can do to make some geezers understand English. :roll:

I have a Tamaya Astro Navigational Calculator, which was wonderful for (among other things) reducing a whole bunch of sights when conditions were chundiferous.

Its sole claim to fame now is that it was the only piece of technology that I heard of which became redundant at the turn of greatly feared millennium - its built-in reduction tables ran out of time!

On the other hand, someone recently gave me a bosun's whistle. I'm slowly learning the calls.

....as sh*t may go ta clay, n me balls ma come to wrinkle..I dina fucken ken.

If tha wax nt clean n ya throw the lead over....then ow thA f*ck YA GOIN TA KNOW THA BOTTM EH ???

..We ad smash a cooper whos barrel leaked ours so ......fucken fool are we do tha same.

From softy sand ta black cumsmudgen, Ta rocks n sharps like tear it up ? Ta tiny crevis ta swallow whole...an all ya know is dress covers c#nt ?.,,,,

Tis fool and lazy that dips only without loaden....cause when cums ta sea bottom a fucken fart smells good.

Wax boys n clean wax...always...for th little wicked rocks of below will make you kiss thye sisters near bye..

Some Leads had hollow bottoms, that they put soft wax in. (Arming the lead) this allowed for a sample of the sea bottom type to help decide what anchor or where......

Some Leads had hollow bottoms, that they put soft wax in. (Arming the lead) this allowed for a sample of the sea bottom type to help decide what anchor or where......

Yes, the good old navigation tutor told me years ago "That's why all the charts say broken shell." Once the Armed Lead hit the bottom all that came back was Broken Shell :sailor:

Archived