What start day is preferred for Akld-Tga race

ballystick

Start day for Akld-Tga race?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Start day for Akld-Tga race?

• Thursday before Easter
    • Good Friday

Best coastal race in NZ.

What about Wednesday night 7.00pm before Easter?

More time to cruise home over Easter.

See if that was an option I would choose that. :clap: If it was a morning start then I would have to choose friday, due to not being able to get off work. It is not so easy for everyone to get off work (thinking more on all the crew), so if you have a start that is after most jobs are done for the day, you are more likely to have more entrants! :thumbup: Well I would imagine! :problem: :think:

Thursday works, not a fan of Wednesday night, for those prepping the boat that effectively means at least another half day off work. Wouldn't think it would make life easier for the Tauranga people either.

Starting on Wed. night you would still have to take Thursday off. Evening starts were used at various times previously and that made the race even more tricky, I am told, wind conditions as the sun rises stopped many boats close to the finish where as now it still stops them but lots of boats now get through before the sun rises and post good times. Starting on Friday morning would suit myself better, you quite often get a great run through to Colville before the "fun" begins, in terms of not having to get time off work for me, the cruising back time for those is reduced with the Friday start, unfortunately, as that can be a very enjoyable experience - Mercs etc. Thanks for the feedback, so far :thumbup:

We have always preferred a Thursday start. I always budget a couple a days a year leave for these sort of races. We can get there and then still have 3 days to get back to Auckland. For those getting off the boat who have young kids they still have most of the weekend free.

We just need to get the weather more consistent. Seems to be have either too much or too little the last few years but we keep coming back.

Basically the race is a day and a night regardless of what comes first.

So start at Wed night, finish late arvo early evening Thursday. Party at the TYC Thursday night, maybe even have the prize giving then.

Your taking Thursday off regardless. So this gives more time for an Easter cruise in waters most of us don't often get too.

Or those that don't deliver back, can get a ride back to AKL thursday night and spend the entire weekend doing family stuff if need be.

Anyhow, my 2c.

Basically the race is a day and a night regardless of what comes first.

So start at Wed night, finish late arvo early evening Thursday. Party at the TYC Thursday night, maybe even have the prize giving then.

Your taking Thursday off regardless. So this gives more time for an Easter cruise in waters most of us don't often get too.

Or those that don't deliver back, can get a ride back to AKL thursday night and spend the entire weekend doing family stuff if need be.

Anyhow, my 2c.

Im with you 100% Gary. As it is you normally get in between 2 and 8am, then every time i have had to take off straight away for Auckland and normally don't get back in time to take the boat out on Friday. Finishing Thursday afternoon/evening then getting on the piss makes complete sense. prizegiving Thursday night.

Put it this way, I will probably not (cant) do it if it starts on Thursday but will definitely do it if it starts on Wednesday.

Agreed and the finish early hours of the morning means your written off and sleeping by mid day if you hang around, then you have to wait for prizegiving that night... Would have alot more traffic through the bar if it went wednesday night and you got there thursday evening....

Starting on Wednesday was not on the option list for the poll, but a good discussion point. For some people it may suit, especially for those marine professionals. How about thinking about the area of trying to organise your crew to take one or two days off work. Also our club volunteers have to be considered, unless an Akld club would like to assist or take over the event?? How about a short-handed event for those masochists out there? There seems to be a good response for the Simrad, then the support crews can enjoy the delivery trip home?

Biggest problem in the last few years is Auckland boats finish look to party.

Tga boats finish all go home and come back one to two days later for prize giving and Auckland boats have all left as have to get home. Makes people unhappy as a long weekend is spent trying to get home in two days.

Keep the prize giving short and sweet and straight away.

I know tga guys end up with lots of family etc there and have a good day but auckland guys want to get home and maybe have enough time to cruise back. Thurs good start time. My two cents

Archived