Fees up with a jump

Old Girl

Westhaven Swing 10m fees now at $9.50 a day!

Moorings to be removed when vacated!

Looks like charges will move people off? now costs more on a swing than on the piles.

Is this a fair go? My family have moored and anchored on and off for over 60 years in this area, but who cares.

Some council bods come along and within a year the games is changed for ever.

I say again.

Auckland is a City of Sales knot Sails.........very sad.

This is probably what is being said in the Council officers, maybe knot word for word but the gist is the same.

'f*ck the locals, they are whinging tight arses. The Superboat stuff is giving us a 27% return so the locals can f*ck off while we take all the coin we can, it's knot like it's any concern of ours what they want as they can't touch us'.

The swing moorings are going so they can fit in more superboat stuff. There is a war going on between some of the Council organisations to see who can build the most superboat stuff 1st. Sadly these fuckwits are using ratepayer coin and competing with each other to shaft the local boaters.

Numbers quoted in this micro-rant are real and sadly no Akl Shity Council decision makers got hurt in the writing of this post.

Basically OG, the council cares less about you than it does the wallet of superboats. You are now a fully fledged second class citizen in your own shitty, get used to it.

That's what happens when non or new NZers who don't know our culture run everything.

Old Girl. if you have had a swing mooring for 60 years plus (your famly) and it has been at the old rates then i would say you have done very well.

yacht ownership in this country is and has always been a privilege of he well healed and especially if you are in Auckland and at Westhaven.

It sounds like you were born into boating /mooring ownership and had the privilage of having yacht/s and mooring them at good rates.

you should be gratefull!

Just think of the young people who want to own a boat/mooring and cannot due to these fee hikes etc. you are moaning about something you probably can afford easily and many keen young people want what you have but cannot get a look in! (due to 60 years of westhaven mooring ownership)..... is that fair?

MY LAST YACHT CLUB I WAS INVOLVED IN HAD 20 BOAT SHEDS. THEY WERE RENTED AT $20 A WEEK TO ALL THE OLD MEMBERS WHO STORED HOUSE HOLD GEAR IN THEM. THESE MEMBERS WERE ON THE COMMITTEE AND WOULD NOT VOTE A PRICE INCREASE ON THESE SHEDS (which had a 7 year waiting list for the 1st guy on it) AND AS SUCH NOBODY WANTED TO JOIN THE CLUB AS THEY HAD NO WHERE TO PUT THEIR BOATS ALL OTHER MEMBERS LEFT DUE TO THIS RUBBISH. I AND A FEW OTHER CAME ALONG AND FORCED A SPECIAL AGM TO FORCE THESE GUYS OUT BUT TO NO AVAIL. GUESS HOW MANY MEMBERS ARE AT THIS CLUB NOW.... similar thing? i think so old girl

Sure the council is greedy but just maybe they had to do this because of all the years of people getting EXCELLENT RATES from poorly run previous organisations plus the need to remove swing moorings for more lucrative mooring options is a better deal and could reduce further rentals for all others/

Old Girl. if you have had a swing mooring for 60 years plus (your famly) and it has been at the old rates then i would say you have done very well.

yacht ownership in this country is and has always been a privilege of he well healed and especially if you are in Auckland and at Westhaven.

It sounds like you were born into boating /mooring ownership and had the privilage of having yacht/s and mooring them at good rates.

you should be gratefull!

Just think of the young people who want to own a boat/mooring and cannot due to these fee hikes etc. you are moaning about something you probably can afford easily and many keen young people want what you have but cannot get a look in! (due to 60 years of westhaven mooring ownership)..... is that fair?

MY LAST YACHT CLUB I WAS INVOLVED IN HAD 20 BOAT SHEDS. THEY WERE RENTED AT $20 A WEEK TO ALL THE OLD MEMBERS WHO STORED HOUSE HOLD GEAR IN THEM. THESE MEMBERS WERE ON THE COMMITTEE AND WOULD NOT VOTE A PRICE INCREASE ON THESE SHEDS (which had a 7 year waiting list for the 1st guy on it) AND AS SUCH NOBODY WANTED TO JOIN THE CLUB AS THEY HAD NO WHERE TO PUT THEIR BOATS ALL OTHER MEMBERS LEFT DUE TO THIS RUBBISH. I AND A FEW OTHER CAME ALONG AND FORCED A SPECIAL AGM TO FORCE THESE GUYS OUT BUT TO NO AVAIL. GUESS HOW MANY MEMBERS ARE AT THIS CLUB NOW.... similar thing? i think so old girl

Sure the council is greedy but just maybe they had to do this because of all the years of people getting EXCELLENT RATES from poorly run previous organisations plus the need to remove swing moorings for more lucrative mooring options is a better deal and could reduce further rentals for all others/

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion but...

the need to remove swing moorings for more lucrative mooring options is a better deal and could reduce further rentals for all others/

...you have got to be joking: that money will disappear into oblivion never to be seen again. You won't even be able to find it in the council's financial statements.

For someone in Old Girl's position the concept of being sacrificed for the betterment of others is probably very little comfort anyway.

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion but...
the need to remove swing moorings for more lucrative mooring options is a better deal and could reduce further rentals for all others/

...you have got to be joking: that money will disappear into oblivion never to be seen again. You won't even be able to find it in the council's financial statements.

For someone in Old Girl's position the concept of being sacrificed for the betterment of others is probably very little comfort anyway.

That could be true and i don't agree with how councils etc do these things and especially to accommodation fly by night rich Americans...

...but haven't others been sacrificed because Old Girl has had the use of a cheap mooring for 60 years?.

OG's post was a bit like Rod Petricievich asking for legal aid! :wtf:

...but haven't others been sacrificed because Old Girl has had the use of a cheap mooring for 60 years?.

Some of them might even pop up in this thread and if so, we will know for sure.

Sadly they will be no better off either when the council takes away the [once were cheap, now clearly not so] moorings. One might even speculate that the demand will increase prices elsewhere.

they say this is the price of progress :wtf:

the big circle of greed i think. buy it works both ways.

If Old Girl had, lets say, brought a marina 60 years ago and wanted to sell it would she only ask what she paid for it or a full current price.?

the problem with this is the council have been lobbied by the Marine industry people who want better super yacht facilities to entice overseas squillionaires here.

What these people do not realise is that we are to far away and do not have the regatta's and "big City Sailing scene"n these guy desire.

It is money wasted while the local sailors pay for it.

This is the sad reality of poor focus on the wrong things. Auckland Had this super yacht thing going on but lost it.

Some will say the AC will bring it back but i do not think so based on the lack of influx into San Fran for the Next AC.

The game has changed and The AC is not a Super Yacht puller anymoreand Auskland is to far away and the climate is not that special..

Old Girl should pay the money with all the others and hold onto the mooring until enough of these mooring people can get someone to fight there battle in court.... or do something else.

but please don't moan because a 60 year privilege was brought in to reality.

Auckland was a city of sails when it had the biggest fleet of boats racing in a one day event. but as old girl says... it is the city of Sales... money money money! and the desire to be a world player on the super city front has just began.... hold on to your horses!

NZ is a expensive place to live.... thanks to corporate greed, weak governance and a commerce commission that does not work hard enough to stop monopolies such as Air NZ (DOMESTIC FARES) Electricity co's,...

Moorings are the cheap option in fact most boats were on moorings until relatively recently until people could afford and want marinas. The low fees reflect the disadvantages compared to a marina berth. Westhaven offers parking, security and convenience plus shelter from the SW so a premium is in order, however $3500 per year seems a bit on the steep side when you can get a similar berth for less than 5k as advertised recently.

laziness and convenience are the expensive option and the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Examples of the decadence in Auckland boating and the reason the council believes it can charge what it likes are things like...

the high prices people pay for property (HOUSES, NEW GIN PALACES...) regardless of the recession

the number of expensive launches on moorings and on the harbour owned by rich idiots with no regard to sailors, costs and councils craziness

then there is the big storage facilities people use to store fizz nasties :wtf: Would it be easier to put it on a trailer and take it home.... N0 cause we a rich and lazy... THATS THE GREAT DIVIDE BETWEEN RICH AND POOR AYE!"

As Dad from the castle says.. "Yer dreamin son"..

Bit out of touch there JP. Almost all the yacht owners I know are NOT well healed at all and sacrifice something else to own their yachts. Whether it be a not paid off mortgage, shite car, whatever, they make it happen somehow. Most of those yachts down at Westhaven are owned by middle income families who struggle. The moorings are one option whereby the less well healed can afford to own a yacht. That option is rapidly disappearing in Auckland, and this is NOT healthy and NOT a good thing. Old Girl is exactly correct to whinge, especially when the rates rise so quickly without warning.

As KM says, our culture is being changed, and not in a good way.

Westhaven Swing 10m fees now at $9.50 a day!

Moorings to be removed when vacated!

Looks like charges will move people off? now costs more on a swing than on the piles.

Is this a fair go? My family have moored and anchored on and off for over 60 years in this area, but who cares.

Some council bods come along and within a year the games is changed for ever.

I say again.

Auckland is a City of Sales knot Sails.........very sad.

Sadly this looks to be a move on notice camouflaged as price rise. The fact that you say the moorings have to be uplifted once vacated means this is likely only the first of many price rises until an eventual mooring removal notice applies.

As Dad from the castle says.. "Yer dreamin son"..

Bit out of touch there JP. Almost all the yacht owners I know are NOT well healed at all and sacrifice something else to own their yachts. Whether it be a not paid off mortgage, shite car, whatever, they make it happen somehow. Most of those yachts down at Westhaven are owned by middle income families who struggle. The moorings are one option whereby the less well healed can afford to own a yacht. That option is rapidly disappearing in Auckland, and this is NOT healthy and NOT a good thing. Old Girl is exactly correct to whinge, especially when the rates rise so quickly without warning.

As KM says, our culture is being changed, and not in a good way.

by yacht i mean to include launches (europeans link them under one term these days) and most boats moored at Westhaven.

You are right about the many who sacrifice. but that is a minority in the eyes of the council boof heads who look out the window and see a few billion dollars worth of "stock" moored on their doorstep and not an empty berth in sight.

they lump the rich. middle and poor together. and they see any boat over $100,000 as belonging to a well healed person/family/trustfund. thats my take on it.

So no use moaning on a forum when the enemy are in the board room downtown sipping latte's and patting them selves on their backs.

your culture is being changed and not one of the victims that own a "affected" boat is fighting the change! :wtf: ... not one.

In fact why don't all auckland yachties form a collective / union and fight for what you want! (seem to me that there are many issues that you guys are not happy with and no one objects!) and while you there get on to YNZ and get them to do something other than dick around with their website. After all they fight other causes that affect other groups! KM could be the speaker for the group! :thumbup:

or get the comrades at the maritime union on to it! :silent: :lol:

By the way.... Up in Houhora you can moor at the wharf for $2.00 a day :D and there is no marina bullshite nor CEO's in your space!

I have never experieced cheap mooring fees at Westhaven. Has anyone? I do give up much to have my little yacht in a safe area.

The point I was trying to make is that little boats and people that love little boats, the Kiwi way, is fast being killed off.

This is not all about me, its about systems that are only $ based, yep Auckland takes the prize in this regard. Some posters got my point, thank you.

JP your still here, mmm, do wish you would read postings first. Your completely in error, again.

Study the map below.

westhaven_swing.jpg

The 50 swing moorings take more room than the 150 odd marina berths on VWX pier and are hideously inefficient compared to the pile moorings also - the marina also loose one side of X to the dingy racks. If there is demand for space within the shelter of Westhaven (and they can't make it bigger cos the greenies would squeal) then you should probably be paying crap loads more and I suspect a commercial operator would turf you out in approx 5.4 seconds. It's unfortunate but swing moorings are very space inefficient - there are plenty spare moorings elsewhere v cheap but you are in for interesting dingy rides sometimes.

Oh JP, while I admire your enthusiasm you do need to work on your facts and delivery.

It's all about the council seeing money. To them money is more important than the people. Also with a couple of the worlds flasher superboats now calling NZ home* they need a place to park. Hence bye-bye little people and come on down Mr Big Bucks. It's nothing spooky, complex or dodgy, it's just that simple.

* - due to the waters we have, boat maintenance/repair skills and the way the EU marinas are, in the words of one SB skipper, 'Taking the piss' with the berth rates.

But that's what ya get when these places aren't being run by people who understand the NZ way.

the marina also loose one side of X to the dingy racks.

Most of the dinghy racks are for the piles not the swing moorings.

Agree with the rest though, the swing moorings are pretty inefficient. And the piles are still a cheaper option for those of us who don't want to spend ~6k per year on a marina....

Oh JP, while I admire your enthusiasm you do need to work on your facts and delivery.

It's all about the council seeing money. To them money is more important than the people. Also with a couple of the worlds flasher superboats now calling NZ home* they need a place to park. Hence bye-bye little people and come on down Mr Big Bucks. It's nothing spooky, complex or dodgy, it's just that simple.

* - due to the waters we have, boat maintenance/repair skills and the way the EU marinas are, in the words of one SB skipper, 'Taking the piss' with the berth rates.

But that's what ya get when these places aren't being run by people who understand the NZ way.

KM if you actually read my posts above with a little understanding you will see that we are in agreement :crazy: :crazy:

i agree it is about the greedy council focussed on the big bucks and superyachts ... i even say that above :crazy:

my issue is with people moaning when they are on a good wicket!

IF OG had re-phrased here post to not emphasize here 60 years of cheap mooring privilage she would have more cred. but don't get me wrong she has a good point and i agree with her sentiment but feel she is wasting her breath posting here when she could set up an action group and do something about it.

but that is to hard for most Auckland yachties, whom seem to moan but never get of their collective backsides and fight the corporate / council / YNZ greed that seems to taketh away and very rarely giveth back!

hope you read this KM :wtf: :crazy:

I have never experieced cheap mooring fees at Westhaven. Has anyone? I do give up much to have my little yacht in a safe area.

The point I was trying to make is that little boats and people that love little boats, the Kiwi way, is fast being killed off.

This is not all about me, its about systems that are only $ based, yep Auckland takes the prize in this regard. Some posters got my point, thank you.

JP your still here, mmm, do wish you would read postings first. Your completely in error, again.

incorrect OG i know exactly where you are coming from.

answer me this would you sell your house for what you paid for it.?

Yet you expect the council to keep old prices and old technology while their costs increase and there is potential to turn 50 Swing moorings into many many more marina berths that would service more yachties.

Sorry OG but you appear a touch greedy too!

and yes it would be nice to go back to the old days when things were free but that boat has well and truly slipped it mooring and sank.

so keep on deamin! but the facts are nobody fights these greedy council/corporate pricks and so we all suffer1

Archived