Storm watch

wheels

I thought it best to start a new thread on this subject.

It is still a very hard to predict storm, but MetVu has had it aimed at us for a few days now. I keep hearing comments on the news that it would be here Boxing day and possibly out in the Tasman, but Metvu doesn't show that at all. So I thought it worth keeping an eye on.

I don't think there will be much to worry about. As PW said, the water is still too cold down here. However, I think it will dump a tremendous amount of rain and as it looks like it could stall Centre East of the country, it could sweep lots and lots of rain onto the North Island in the Napier to Gisborne region.

We leaving on Thursday rain hail or shine.

There is a storm every year about this time so no surprises there

Some of my best Christmas cruises begin with a good storm :thumbup:

Buy the end of it you are well adjusted and really appreciate the summer weather :thumbup:

In saying that we will be taking shelter at the bottom end until it passes

Yes it's looking slightly better each update. Looks like it is going to edge it's way out along the East Coast. Only small issue, it looks like it is going to stall and unload what rain it has left. Too-Tall is looking forward to that of course. Those heading to BOI will get a good tail wind. I just want to be able to get out to my boat in the weekend so as I can finish up all the work and clean up. Dawn wants Christmas on the boat or she will make me walk the plank.

Sent today by GH marina to all berth-holders:

Hi All,

Priority: High

The centre of ex-tropical cyclone Evan is expected to track to the north of Northland on Sunday and move west into the Tasman Sea.

This track brings the main rainbands over the upper North Island, including Auckland, on Sunday and Monday. We can expect:

1. 24 hours from Sunday evening expect upto 150mm of rainfall for coastal eastern areas north of Kawau Bay. Includes Omaha and Leigh.

2. Between Kawau Bay and Whangaparaoa upto 100mm of rainfall could fall over the same period.

3. For locations south of Whangaparaoa, including Auckland City and South Auckland, expect upto 50mm over this period.

4. Showers and periods of rain are expected to continue through to 27 December.

5. From 24 to 27 December rain will persist in western catchments, particularly the Waitakere catchments.

6. Winds are likely to reach gale force (63 - 87 km/hr sustained) on Sunday and Monday but severe, damaging gales are not expected.

7. Widespread coastal inundation is not expected as high tides are relatively low.

8. Wave splash may affect the northern and north-western motorways and low lying areas such as Tamaki Drive on Sunday and Monday due to strong easterlies..

MetService advise that there is reasonable potential that rainfall totals may be higher than those stated above due to uncertainty in the exact position of rainbands. We will continue to update expected accumulation totals and intensities.

Northland and Coromandel are expected to bear the brunt of this system with higher rainfall totals expected than Auckland. The system is expected to turn in the Tasman and affect Wellington around 27 December.

Regards

Richard

Richard Woods | Senior Hazards Advisor, Civil Defence and Emergency Management

DDI (09) 301 7743 | Phone (09) 301 0101 | Extn (45) 8724 | Mobile 021 818 260 | Private Mobile 027 555 2714

Auckland Council, Level 1, 21 Pitt St, Auckland Central

Visit our website: http://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz

I have no idea why they are advising anything. It looks like we will get very little of anything from it. Today (sat) is looking awesome and late Sunday will get a little wet and Monday wet, but I don't see any huge amount of rain and certainly no real wind to worry about. Maybe 30kts tops out to Sea.

Sent today by GH marina to all berth-holders:

Hi All,

Priority: High

The centre of ex-tropical cyclone Evan is expected to track to the north of Northland on Sunday and move west into the Tasman Sea.

Personally its that word "WEST" to look out for.

Most tropical lows that come to us do move SOUTH EAST and disapate into the eastern Pacific

This one is going to go the other way and go west into the Tasman

That is the danger, if it happens, IMHO. Waiting is a good option.

Archived