Life Jacket - fines for rowing ashore?

Clive

I would argue that is more dangerous to wear a life jacket in a small tender than not wear one. Imagine being trapped under it...

This is a stupid rule

herd on the news today that the AC saftey boffins are suggesting quick release life jackets, so if you get trapped under an upturned vessel you might be able to get free??????? wtf???

Anyone got any good loopholes?

If you see them comming just jump out of your dingy to avoid the fine

Go...

That is obviously why you also need to keep your phone / means of communication in a water proof bag - so you don't wreck it diving in in front of the harbour master :lol:

"Means of Communication" can be interpreted as means of attracting attention.

My 1,000mw green laser is legal then!! :lol:

Anyone got any good loopholes?

If you see them comming just jump out of your dingy to avoid the fine

Go...

I note it says "UNDERWAY".. just stop the engine??

Interesting they define LENGTH forehead but aft its basically anything attached to the vessel??... like 100m of trolled line will make my "ship".. A SHIP!! :lol:

I note it says "UNDERWAY".. just stop the engine??

Aha! Colregs "gotcha" moment. You are "underway" if you are not actually anchored or moored. You may or may not be "making way" when you are "underway" :)

Hi, also a long term boatie, also a volunteer for a coastguard search unit.....

You should probably be asking these questions to government bodies they are the ones making the rules, also don't forget if it wasn't for dumb asses that can't drive properly etc etc, we would already have a lot less laws than we do now.

Personally I think it should be skipper discretion, but there are some pretty dumb skippers out there too, so unless you want to go down the compulsory licensing/ education path, what are we to do.

also one parting shot, even the best have bad days, when simple things go wrong, I wear my vest most of the time when boating, unless for instance I intent jumping off for a swim....

You should probably be asking these questions to government bodies they are the ones making the rules....

The local council took submissions and the Coastguard supported the mandatory wearing of life jackets.

With Coastguard support it is hard for the Council not go along with it.

If we can convince the Coastguard to support skippers responsibility when asked for their opinion then that will go a very long way to halting these by-laws.

I'd actually support the compulsary wearing of life jackets for all children. As an adult you get a choice. Often the children don't and certainly I see a fair number of children in boats without any flotation assistance.

I'd actually support the compulsary wearing of life jackets for all children. As an adult you get a choice. Often the children don't and certainly I see a fair number of children in boats without any flotation assistance.

Fair point, I can't remember the last time that I saw a kid not wearing a life jacket though.

From what I have seen parents on boats with kids are pretty strict about their offspring wearing a life jacket

How many yachties have drowned in the past ten years while going ashore?

Do not include deaths from falling off a marina pier as including those stats would mean that the council would be justified in requiring all people going onto a pier or wharf to wear a life jacket.

Imagine everyone going to board a ferry having to wear a life jacket as they might fall into the water.

Children bow riding on the family launch without life jackets is not an uncommon sight between Westhaven and North Head.

This is covered already in the Auckland by-laws. It's not allowed and it the harbour master sees it he'll pull you over.

A reply from coastguard.

They are for the mandatory wearing of lifejackets.

Hi Clive,

Our submission in support of the Waikato Bylaw change regarding lifejackets was driven by promoting safety/saving lives, and was made after reassurance from the Manager - Navigation and Safety that the enforcement by harbourmaster staff would be pragmatic and reasonable.

To draw an analogy, it is the law to wear a seatbelt in a car at all times while the car is in motion. Common sense would perhaps say that surely it's not necessary to wear a seatbelt on a quiet road when travelling at walking pace, as the risk is very low. Pragmatism is exercised (in my view) on the whole by Police. For instance you don't see Police standing at the top of a boat ramp, issuing tickets to people driving up the ramp and parking their trailer on the quiet road opposite if they're not wearing their seatbelt.

Unfortunately people have drowned from yacht tenders.. While it might make sense to have various exclusions, I think it all then becomes too complicated. Better to have a simple straight forward law - that everyone knows and that will be easy to advertise/promote awareness of. I'm comfortable we can rely on harbour master staff not to be issuing infringement fines to boaties rowing ashore a short distance on calm sunny days in sheltered bays.

Kind regards,

Neil.

Neil Murray | General Manager

Coastguard Boating Education

I still don't like the sound of that - it makes you uneasy every time you hop in your dinghy which goes against the whole reason most people go boating which is to get away and relax far from the normal petty bureaucracy we all have to deal with and it still makes you a lawbreaker if you so much as get in your dinghy without a lifejacket - even to bail out some overnight rainwater !

Lord grant me the faith

That bureaucracy, upon obtaining widespread powers

Will direct them wisely in preventing the kind of incident

Of which we are only too well aware

And be not mislead

By setting their sights on easy/convenient targets

Or the promise of revenue

From those who give the appearance of having the ability to pay.

No it's not working too well for me either. :roll:

Lord grant me the faith

That bureaucracy, upon obtaining widespread powers

Will direct them wisely in preventing the kind of incident

Of which we are only too well aware

And be not mislead

By setting their sights on easy/convenient targets

Or the promise of revenue

From those who give the appearance of having the ability to pay.

No it's not working too well for me either. :roll:

I like it :thumbup:

In regards to "Or the promise of revenue" can I say from the 'wrong' side of the fence, its more about off setting costs, or even deterrent factor, there is no money to be made in infringements. The cost and hassle is not worth it on the basis of the money received.

Unless of course its just because we don't issue enough tickets :D

Archived