America's Cup - Race 3 & 4

Mothership

Maybe BooBoo. Are they not allowed to adjust angle between races? It certainly did seem that ETNZ were not their normal stable selves in the 4th race. That said, the tactics and crew work were not to the normal standard either...

I thought that at the bottom mark where ETNZ came up fast into a lee bow position, that perhaps they should have tried to get under Oracle rather than over. Also, once bounced out to the non favored side, that, being that they have an advantage in tacks, coming back over to the left pretty quickly would have been the preferred option? That being said, bloody pleased it's not me making those calls under that pressure, at that speed! Go ETNZ!

Maybe BooBoo. Are they not allowed to adjust angle between races? It certainly did seem that ETNZ were not their normal stable selves in the 4th race. That said, the tactics and crew work were not to the normal standard either...

I thought that at the bottom mark where ETNZ came up fast into a lee bow position, that perhaps they should have tried to get under Oracle rather than over. Also, once bounced out to the non favored side, that, being that they have an advantage in tacks, coming back over to the left pretty quickly would have been the preferred option? That being said, bloody pleased it's not me making those calls under that pressure, at that speed! Go ETNZ!

I agree hindsight is great, go under them, used the turbo to get to the boundary first , bounce OR to the right, Port has rights over starboard at the left boundary.

No sure what the distance envelope is for this to happen, anyone know?

Still on the winning streak if ETNZ win the first race of every day, great for sponsors & tv, but should they take the foot of the neck or just go for it????

They're allowed to adjust the rake of the rudders up to5 mins before the start, then they have to be fixed for the race. Apparently ETNZ believe (know) they got their setting wrong, and as Royale said, also had the wrong jib. Guess it's another learning curve...

Tell me I'm wrong. Dean looks like he wants to out run spithill

I'll. And spithill wants to tag etnz. He sailing it like topgun trying to et the action very close even touch.

Tell me I'm wrong. Dean looks like he wants to out run spithill

I'll. And spithill wants to tag etnz. He sailing it like topgun trying to et the action very close even touch.

Agree and if we win another 2-3 and Spithill is still on the helm I would bet a touch will be made.

Can someone clarify for me how we win this thing.

Is it based on most points possible with a max of 17 races being sailed or is it first to 9 points. The first situation means we only need 8 points by my reckoning.

Most regattas I have been in would be based on most points possible with a max number of races. Its just simplier to say how many you need to win.

Thanks guys.

Actually more complicated than that because Oracle were naughty boys and modified their AC45 Od they got pinged two points for the AC final. So they start on minus 2 so need 11 wins to win; ETNZ need 9 wins. 17 races is just the schedule first to 9 is what counts. So technically it is 3 to ETNZ, -1 to Oracle now.

Tb

It's just that I see 17 races scheduled and thought that might mean the event best of 17 races.

So first to 9 points series, which means they may have to run 19 races to get a winner. Bloody better not though! I'll have a heart attack.

Ta.

there is no 17 races. forget you ever heard that. its very simple, we have to get nine, they have to get eleven. there will be sufficient races until one of those events occur. that's all.

And may god have mercy on our souls if ETNZ let Oracle get to 9 wins before getting to 9 themselves.

Because then it will be worth Ellison's while to unleash the lawyers on that 2-point docking decision...

The principle reason there are 17 races scheduled is that Mr Ellison is particularly fond of the number 17.

The first team to record 9 points on the scoreboard will be taking home the cup. ETNZ need to win 9 races to do that, OTUSA need to win 11 races to do that due to the jury decision that docks them 2 points. So far ETNZ have 3 points on the board and OTUSA have 0 points on the board (having been docked the one point they've won so far ... the second point to be docked will depend on them winning another race).

Archived