America's Cup - Race 3 & 4

Mothership

What I thought is that this really means is the regatta is not over. Well done Oracle.

Barker was too soft at the start, and ETNZ made a mistake in letting Oracle control the beat. When ETNZ rounded the bottom mark for the beat, I wonder if trying to go under Oracle rather than over may have changed the result. Being out in the tide more cost them the race.... and let Oracle get their heads up again, and realize they can win. if ETNZ had won that one I would have said the regatta was almost a foregone conculsion. Not now.

The next to races are critically important...

I was thinking that we would climb out on them from that slightly windward position after the bottom mark, especially given what happened in Race 3. It's certainly costly to be on the outside at the first mark, there are a lot of metres to be lost even if you arrive there at the same time.

Pretty amazing to see them roll tacking these boats. I like out high aspect/self tacking set up and wonder what Oracle's thinking is with those (relatively) low aspect headsails. Also amazing to see how much movement there is between Oracle's two hulls, we seem to have a much more rigid platform.

Can't match race AC72's huh?

Yep Dean looked to be trying too hard to avoid a penalty and failed to get an advantage after the Oracle nosedive.

Oracle aren't dumb.

They have worked out the ETNZ accelerate better.

Now they are doing the prestart further back in the box to hit the line at speed to nullify that.

What I thought is that this really means is the regatta is not over. Well done Oracle.

Barker was too soft at the start, and ETNZ made a mistake in letting Oracle control the beat. When ETNZ rounded the bottom mark for the beat, I wonder if trying to go under Oracle rather than over may have changed the result. Being out in the tide more cost them the race.... and let Oracle get their heads up again, and realize they can win. if ETNZ had won that one I would have said the regatta was almost a foregone conculsion. Not now.

The next to races are critically important...

Hey IT I thought to stay quick & go under them at the bottom mark as well. Or tack straight away & head toward Alcatraz like they were during the Luna Rossa races. Seemed a dumb place to be right there upwind of them.

But please, don't for a minute think that I am feeling like I'm smarter than Davies & Barker! :wink:

Just with the benefit of hindsight it seems like a bad call.

Lucky I had an ECG 2 weekends ago. :wink: :lol: :clap: :clap:

Yeah... anybody got any coping strategies on how to get some meaningful work done during this process?

Forget it B, ain't gonna happen.

Productivity about to hit an all-time low. :thumbup:

yep B, hindsight is great! if planning to roll over another boat, you must get far enough advanced to avoid the Lee bow issue. DB did the right thing once there, and tacked away, but perhaps he should have come back to the left side earlier. the tide made the difference!

pretty pleased its not me making these calls at that speed with so much pressure! Go ETNZ!

I am in awe at how they make the time/distance and tactical calls at those speeds.

The boats are close enough in speed that you can't make errors in these short races.

Wednesday (NZ time) will be really tense after that result.

We now have appointment viewing of yacht racing from non sailors.

So was Russell right all along?

Speaking of Russ, where is he? He's been doing an Invisible Man act lately. Is he locked in Larry's basement under house arrest until the whole shindig is over and he can be safely booted to the kerb with a wad of cash and a gag order?

I am in awe at how they make the time/distance and tactical calls at those speeds. :thumbup: :thumbup:

The boats are close enough in speed that you can't make errors in these short races.

Wednesday (NZ time) will be really tense after that result.

We now have appointment viewing of yacht racing from non sailors.

So was Russell right all along?

From someone who cannot start a keel boat race to save his life I am also in awe of their time on distance. split second perfect.. Incredible.

I thought that ETNZ made quite a few small mistakes today compared to only one from Oracle who sailed almost the perfect race. Even so, they only won by less than a second, so I would still say advantage ETNZ. Oracle will have to be absolutely perfect to win this...

Don't know about Russell being right but the end product is an amazing spectacle, and great for both Yachties and non yachties to watch, so I guess he has achieved a lot of what he set out to do...

I wish I had another week at home. Chances of watching this offshore China?? Very low.. Bribes may have to be offered! :shifty: :shifty:

Lucky I had an ECG 2 weekends ago. :wink: :lol: :clap: :clap:

Yeah... anybody got any coping strategies on how to get some meaningful work done during this process?

Forget it B, ain't gonna happen.

Productivity about to hit an all-time low. :thumbup:

As a entire AC race now takes less time than a decent pooh or making a cuppa I don't think productivity will take any big hits.

Apparently ETNZ had a few issues in race 4. Wrong jib and wrong elevator settings. I think they know what they did wrong and know what they need to do to fix it.

conspiracy theory!!!! :wink: etnz may have been encouraged to let a race go to get everyone watching the racing again after it was looking like being a 9 nil result ???? Lots of money in tv coverage , sponsors etc etc ??? Don,t worry we will win in the end.[ i hope] :D

The way I see it is that the conditions are lighter in the morning and heavier as the day goes on so where do you set your rudder elevators?

ETNZ probably setup for the lighter breeze in the first race to make sure they were faster in one race. Oracle either had a mid setting or breezy setting on their rudders so were faster in the breeze.

ETNZ know that they only have to win 1 race a day from now on and they have this in the bag whereas oracle need to win both races to have a chance.

Archived