Question for the sailmakers - which machine?

DrWatson

So, if one were to consider making a hash of it and having a go at making their own sails, which machine would be the minimum cost and give you the kind of performance and service life the average amateur might need.

Bearing in mind, that one wouldn't be running full time month after month, year after year. But more the situation where you make a few sails now and again. Prices seem to vary wildly, from the sailrite machines up to the stratosphere.

Walking foot? Large enough space under the arm for a big drifter under the arm? Or do you do it the other way and only roll the new panel through the gap, keeping the main sail bulk outside? (seems logical...). zigzag and then the multi-stich zigzag (whatever that's actually called)...

The one in my basement would be perfect. I made my sails on it, I believe the sails for Voom were built on it.

Happy to consider renting/selling/lending it out.

Have a look at a Bernina 830 Doc. I've been researching sewing machines and they seem to fit the bill. Long lasting, quiet all mechanical machines with great stitch regulation. I talked to a sewing machine mechanic and he suggested these or better, more expensive Bernina mechanical machines. He suggested we stay away from the computer, electronic types.

The one in my basement would be perfect. I made my sails on it, I believe the sails for Voom were built on it.

Yes it did and it is a Singer 457, a good general purpose machine, even better if you can find a 457UX model which is the three-step zig zag.

Other alternatives are the Bernina 850 or Pfaff 438.

Ha! Some time ago, sufficiently far back that it was called "Form 2" not "Year 8" or whatever, but recent enough that the curriculum was more equal-opportunity than one would have wished for, a certain sewing teacher was confronted with 30-odd pissed off juvenile delinquents: "What, you are wondering, is the cream of kiwi manhood" (or words to that effect, she was probably less flattering) "doing in a sewing class?" "Two words, guys: Sails and hang-gliders...."

I used a sailrite LZ-1 to fix some cruisers sail on a 46fter, wasn't actually to bad.

Bernina 217 - can sometimes find one. that is apparently what they had on board Camper.

I heard Lidgards went into Liquidation? Maybe there will be some machines forsale!

Can DR Dubyah drive over from Switzerland and pop it in the back of his car? Or does he live in NZ now?

Still in Switzerland for the moment...

But I'm home for a few days this weekend, however, this Singer Ogre keeps in his basement seams definitely to be the fat lady, and I won't be squeezing her into my luggage unfortunately...

Bernina 830

http://www.berninatauranga.co.nz/catalo ... -2194.html

How many they sell at that price.

What would you actually save on the cost of a new sail if you made it yourself.

There is a sailmaker who advertises on Trademe at very reasonable prices for a well made local product Arthurn???

I am tempted to have a go at making a large 2 part exterior cover for my yacht but after researching the costs of buying a machine and all the supplies plus time etc its a no brainer to pedal off to my local marine trimmer.

I have the Sailrite Ultrafeed LSZ-1 Walking Foot and an old Brother with some mods and but no walking foot.

The Sailrite is great and heavy can be hand cranked or you could put a 12v motor on it. It will go through almost anything you throw at it only slower with the reduction gearing and monster flywheel. The brother has had the plastic bobbin gears replaced with industrial ones and stick on wheel weights added to the flywheel for inertia :-) The stitch length on the Sailrite is greater.

what's wrong today? Site is timing me out every 3 minutes! anyway...

cheaper here...

http://www.sailrite.com/Ultrafeed-LSZ-1 ... pmRm8TkuGc

What's a special technique for doing larger sails on a machine like this? I imagine that you need to tape all your seams first and therefore construct the sail to check the hang etc, and then you'd need to squeeze minimum half your sail through under the arm to stitch the taped seams, no?

Archived