Sailing from Europe to NZ. Best route?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did my first offshore cruise at 60yo, from Dominican Republic, Atlantic side, to NZ. Just me and a never sailed before traveller, had a great time, auto pilot broke a week out of Panama so steered the

• 5 years later...

Did my first offshore cruise at 60yo, from Dominican Republic, Atlantic side, to NZ. Just me and a never sailed before traveller, had a great time, auto pilot broke a week out of Panama so steered the rest of the way. My navigation was an Ipad with gps and a cheap app that was the most accurate system ever used. An older 40ft cat so had a few issues but all manageable. If you can sail and have some brains just pick which way you want to go and do it. My one and only time and I will never regret it, a dream fulfilled

Just seen this

I’ve been here and done this.
Go west young man, As BP says you will learn what you need as you go and meet plenty with less experience/expertise along the way.

Must haves in my opinion - Irridium Go, AIS and secondary battery charging System 

Nice to have watermaker

we meet a couple in there fifties that were circumnavigating in a 1250. 
they had picked it up from the factory and where in French Poly when we saw them.

Time wise we left Canaries 20th November, 18 days to Antigua, 6 days Panama to Galapagos, 17 days Galapagos to Marquises all the rest of pacific was 2,3 or 4 day hops then 6 days Fiji to Opua.

If you can get a passage in with a experienced crew before you leave for Europe you will pickup a lot of tips on how to or not to run your boat.

Give me a call if you want to chat

Jon 0274779745