YNZ National Sailing Centre Poll

National Sailing Centre  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the new YNZ National Sailing Center idea (no set location)

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should it be at

• Takapuna Beach, replacing the motorcamp
    • Somewhere else
  3. 3. If it should be somewhere else, do you have any suggestions?

• No
    • Yes, and I've relied to the thread with my ideas!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Long Bay Park. sh*t loads of room, not next to arguably one of the busiest fizzboat ramps in the country so less fights, a mother-load more room to be used as a regatta HQ, far better waters to sail i

There are plenty of available yachting clubs in Auckland already with excellent facilities that would welcome Yachting NZ as a tenant, or just to share their building and training facilities. I believ

True. The result will make the up coming local elections a lot more interesting. A few currently sitting councillors and some wannabes have hung their hat on the centre happening so they are probably

not to mention more central, pretty much at the end of the three highest volume motorways in country, next door to the port (for now :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ) easy public transport access from Brotomart, settling fetch for the prevailing SW.  Ah well.  The planning drawings do look good though

Long Bay Park. sh*t loads of room, not next to arguably one of the busiest fizzboat ramps in the country so less fights, a mother-load more room to be used as a regatta HQ, far better waters to sail in with less marine traffic to annoy or be annoyed by. And it's only 10 minutes up the road from the Taka site.

I can't find much on who will own the place, who's paying for it and the ongoing cost to YNZ, if indeed there even is one. It's arguably NZ most prime real estate so one could expect the rent to be more massive than frecking huge. What impact will that have in YNZ's finances and programmes going forward?

Nice poll. I am not making any friends at Murray's Bay with my stand on this, but for me, locating this centre at the Taka ramp is beyond dumb and not making yachting any friends. The motor camp really is a Kiwi gem that is used by thousands of people from both NZ and overseas. I have seen figures of $7M spent annually by tourists visiting the caravan park and the council gets rent of $160,000 a year. YNZ have negotiated this to $1 a year. 

Adding to that is significant skulduggery by YNZ/HAT (A trust set up to take away the heat from YNZ) stating that this is a "Community marine centre". Is it bollocks. It's a yachting centre. Also YNZ have backed off from making it their headquarters but the new facility will still have meeting and conference rooms, so you can see what will happen in the future!! YNZ just slides in there when it's all a done deal. If it is really a "Community Marine Centre" Then I guess there will be ample fish cleaning and filleting benches, regularly emptied bins for fish waste, wash down facilities for outboards etc etc, because the biggest users of Takapuna ramp are, by a long, long shot, the Fishos..

between the hard stand, boat ramp, moored boats and the busy new marina

okahu seems to be running at capacity 

when major dinghy sailing events are held on weekends the traffic gridlock around the ramp gets chaotic with jack-knifed fishing boats trailers trying to get around dingy dollies while crews are excited rigging, talking and mooring 5 ribs at the ends of the finger dock

toss in commercial operators running school kayak programs from the same ramp, chinese tour buses stopping to use it as a scenic toilet stop and a few taxis parked up waiting for calls 

i don't think there is room to grow a permanent performance sailing centre out of okahu