Garden cove, Waiheke

Years ago in our classic . We went in and anchored with our mates in a D28, sat there watching the boats go through the tides and decided to stay.Verrry nice it was.

It was a westerly that came up so it was calm in there and rough outside . We left early just so it wasn't dead low when we went out.( which was about 8 am from memeory. Torches shining on the rocks either side, it felt dramatic but there was no problem and we were 6 ft 5 deep. The problem is swinging room inside because of those rocks to the east of the rock in the passage.

well looky there , a photo still exists.

100-0050_img_1.jpg

• Upvote 1

John - did u say your old girl drew 6'5"? I thought Garden Cove was out of my depth now because I am 6'3" (I'm a 'modern classic' as they say at

Mahurangi)- I would love to go in there again, its such a gorgeous bay.

David, I've had Transformer in there but no swinging room at all at low tide. Water depth OK and yes, the narrow starboard entrance is the deep channel in. A midweek job for you I would say. And yes, I too have had to vacate in a hurry at night (in a smaller boat).

Yep, no such thing as a perfect boat, and that is the cross I have to bear (and the cost of a haulout). But i do like creeping into little nooks and crannies where I can, maybe I need to sail to Norway or Sweden?

I,ve told you before cut that keel off and add a centerboard and 2 extra hulls

Have spent a lot of nights in there but one night with us and another boat there a NW came in he started  dragging he was motoring round and hit the rocks helped him run it onto the beach had 3 holes in it lucky it was twin keeled. Was nasty in there for about 3hrs in the morning it was still has made me weary of staying the night in there but great for the day