Wondering why the High Tides are really high just lately?

I was reading some comments on FB about the very high tides coming across the Road at the OBC a few weeks back. Of course, the usual comments of Ocean level rise being the cause came into the discussion. I informed them that this was incorrect and the reason why. Today I was out at the Havelock Slipway and the Tide was back to very high again. Which is part of the normal monthly cycle. Plus twice a year, we get the extra special highs and lows, but just lately, everything has been really topping the scale. The actual reason is due to the Moon. In fact, on the 15th of this month, the Moon will be on it's closest approach to Earth since 1948 and won't be as close again till 2045. It will on fact be 50,000Km closer to Earth than normal. This is causing a lot more Gravitational Pull on the Earth and the Oceans of course and thus the extremes of Tides. 
So no, it is nothing to do with Ocean level rise.

• Upvote 1

Wheels. Do you not accept the science that the sea level is rising?

No, because only men scientists said so and not women scientists, making sea level rise a sexists and misgoynistic ideology perpetuated by grumpy white guys trying to keep the women scientists in the kitchen and out of the lab.

• Upvote 1

I know you jest fish but I have just finished a book that touches on the women scientists who were ignored and / or had work stolen from them. Example Watson and crick didn't discover the double helix. Or Einstein had his first wife's name removed from a number of papers some of which later led to a Nobel prize in physics.

I know you jest fish but I have just finished a book that touches on the women scientists who were ignored and / or had work stolen from them. Example Watson and crick didn't discover the double helix. Or Einstein had his first wife's name removed from a number of papers some of which later led to a Nobel prize in physics.

Oh yes, I was just highlighting Kevin's ability to find axes to grind,

But now you mention it, my Nanna did "help" my Grandad write 14 books of a technical and scientific nature. After my Grandad died, she said stuff it, and published the last book under her own name.

It was on the same topic and nature as the preceding 14 books.

Think about the growth in the number of yachts, boats, submarines, ships and of late all the massive super carriers slash cruise ships over the last hundy or 3 years.

Then think about Mr Archimedes.

Just sayin

Yeah, but global consumption of beer has decreased at the same time, meaning less pee ...

What about places around the world that have reclaimed large area's of Sea for land use. Hahaha, I find it funny it is called Reclaim. Like Man had it in the first place and the Sea took it. Anyway, think about Dubai and all that sand they have buldozed in to make Islands. China built their Huge Port on a total Man made Island 32Kms away from the Mainland. Then there is all the natural erosion runngin down rivers and out into the Sea filling it up. The list goes on. ;-)
seriously though

Wheels. Do you not accept the science that the sea level is rising?

What science Kev??
I tried using a stick with notches and would pop down to check it once a month, but found it a little difficult because the tide was never at the same point at the same time. ;-)
The facts are. Yes there has been a Sea Level rise.....they assume.....simply because all that Ice melt has to go somewhere. Thing is, NASA put up a very special metal bird to measure the Rise. What they actually found was that the Sea is not an easy place to measure such a thing. It is as if it was a living moving expanding contracting breathing thing. They even found that the mean sea level wasn't. Wasn't level that is. There are parts of the Ocean that are as much as 18m higher than the lower parts. Simply due to undersea Mountains having a greater gravitational pull and pulling more water above them. And then the really interesting one was that as the Earth spins, the Sea is dragged towards the Equator via the centrifugal force and it bulges slightly. Of course, the more water there is, the more it bulges. Oh and then there is this really weird fact that they have found the Water from Ice melt does not uniformly flow out and affect the rest of the Ocean. It takes a long long time for the Sea to gain a "Level". In otherwords, if we drop a large rock in the waters off say Chile, the Sea here does not suddenly rise by the corresponding volume. It takes years for that level to transgress across the distance. So at the moment, the most accurate indicator of Sea Level rise has been math. They work out the amount of Ice melt and the fact that it has to go somewhere. the Sum of that is a rise of just a few MM's per year. Over the last 100yrs, the Level may or may not have risen ruffly about 200mm, but that figure varies somewhat depending on who's working the sums....or more accurately, providing the numbers to work the Sums. What Sea level rise isn't, is the sudden rise of a metre or more in just the last 10yrs as Islands in the Pacific and Indian Ocean complain are flooding them, nor the Roads in Auckland going under, nor the waterfront properties having their Beaches eroded and the Homes falling in.

hard to measure when you think about it.Its high ride in Auckland at 12.00 noon so low tide manukau high tide sydney low tide fiji etc so how do measure it??when its half tide right around the world?wind has an effect so does full moon etc.

Fish, you've been warned before about personal attacks. The fact that I object to racism and misogyny is irrelevant to the science of sea level rise. 

During the last deglaciation sea level rose by 20 m in 200 years. ie 1 m each 10 years, 10 cm per year!!! That's what the science tells us. The science also tells us that this time the change is happening more rapidly than last time.

Here's how I use the word "science":

• Downvote 1

Dear Lord, No!

Not another wrist slittingly tedious diatribe of pseudo facts, rants and one eyed opinions - NO!

Not another aimlessly futile climate change debate.

At the very least get this out of marine talk. Move it down to below the stink pot section in the class forums so I don't have to offend my eyes with this dribble every time I log in.

Island Time, could I propose you amend the user conditions to have an outright ban on the discussion of climate change?

It will be good for total traffic, trust me.

• Upvote 1

Fish, you've been warned before about personal attacks. The fact that I object to racism and misogyny is irrelevant to the science of sea level rise.

]

Bollocks Kevin, that was not a personal attack.

You posed a pointed question to elicited a response, you got a response.

If it wasn't the response you were wanting, that doesn't make it a personal attack.

My view on climate change, other than the contents of my post above, is that it is a sham proffered by misgoynistic male scientists to create and feed a nice little industry.

Just watched "The Nations" panel discussing among other things the lack of equal (Female / male) representation on boards, govt Departments, National Caucus etc.etc. the 2 said panels were made up of female experts / commentators,  ? ? ?

Here is a bit of text from one report

Sea level has risen at a long-term rate of 1.5mm/yr at Auckland relative to the land.

relative to the land....

Looking at that have they looked at the level of mean land level - in other words has the land risen or fallen relative to a vertical datum other than MSL?

The moon is at its closest point to earth that it will be until 2034.  It is 14% closer to earth than normal, meaning the tides are larger.  This was a new moon, the full moon will be on the 14th, and tides will be at their highest range in most places than in many years.

This happens because the tides are created primarily by the moon, but also by the sun.  The gravity interacting between the two means that there is less gravity on the side where the moon and sun are, biased according to the difference in their position directly overhead of the planet's surface.  This "pulls" the water towards the moon/sun or combination, leaving a deficit 90 degrees either side, and another bulge on the opposite side.  Tides are of course not regular due to the flow of water around land masses and other flow dynamics.  But regardless of where you are, the tide moves about 50 minutes per day.

The moon always has a bigger influence on the tides.

Thus why the so-called "supermoon" (gotta have a stupid name for everything don't we, thank you idiotic mainstream media) creates bigger tides...the moon is closer, more gravitational influence.

If you are a sailor, you better damn well know this stuff, without having to read it.

I have started using my own solar/lunar calendar - sort of.  My year starts on 25 December.  Months start on the full moon.  "Weeks" are based on the phases of the moon.  I can tell what day of the "week" it is by the moon, as I've tuned my ability to see the precise phase of the moon so well, that I can actually predict the time of the full moon usually within 6 hours.