Another ridiculous lifejacket article

The issue isn't the raft, the issue is that too many cannot swim these days. Which may or may not have been the case in this particular raft situation. As a kid, we would make rafts not a heck of a lot better than the one in the article. If it sank or took some effort to stay on it, that was all part of the fun. You got wet, you swam around, you got back on or swam to shore. This is all getting silly. Too silly for words. In fact, here on Blenheim, a Local Radio Station has an annual Taylor River raft race. You make a raft and enter and after lots of fun and throwing eggs and flour and scuppering your opposition, the first over the line wins. I hope no one rocks the safety regs to cause yet another fun event to be canned.

The other article re the Francie, just how is tightening up on the Maritime laws going to stop that event happening again. It had nothing to do with a Law, but simply a lack of common sense from an experienced commercial skipper. The only way such an event could ever be stopped would be to have someone Police the Bar and have the ability to Open/Close it. Hardly worth the expense for such a rare event that may never happen again on the Kaipara. And in saying that, several Bars in the Country are indeed controlled by a Harbour Master and can be closed if needed. I know of one such Bar that was closed while the Fishing boats were out off the West Coast of this well known harbour. They came back in and were told by the, at that time newly appointed Harbour Master, the Bar was closed and they could not cross. Taking no notice, they all came in and then went to see the Harbour Master and it was no "lets buy you a drink" kind of group that turned up. Lets just say, they now have an "understanding".

Not to sure I like the way the news articles on the Francie have recently started referring to 'an independent surveyor' a lot. Crock of pooh, the surveyors do exactly what MNZ want or they are dumped. Sure they may not be paid directly by MNZ but MNZ certainly is the one setting the rules, the enforcement and they get very dark very quick if they aren't followed. There will be 100's of pages of Docs that MNZ made the boat and the surveyor go though and sign off. On one of them the surveyor did specifically write 'don't cross the bar in marginal weather', or words to that effect. The paperwork will drill down to the tea and coffee facilities, that's how detailed the checking can be.

The news reports are starting to look very much like a blame shifting game is happening. As usual that is away from those who can make a difference to those who can't fight back. The more you look the more the term 'bureaucracy' does appear to mean 'cowardly little people with no balls who have been given too much power with little idea of how to use it wisely'.

Saving lives means you're a kill joy? Nice piece of logic.

Yes. Less idiots in the world means more space and time for my joy. Trying to save idiots kills my joy for sure.

(Note, Not about the raft, just general comment disagreeing with kevin)

"Wheels" made a statement at the start of his post 

The issue isn't the raft, the issue is that too many cannot swim these days. Which may or may not have been the case in this particular raft situation

Now that is a problem as I was a cub leader at the time(3yrs ago)and presumed all the cubs could swim,had asked as well and "yes we can swim" They were dong their swimmers badge and got them all to jump in,yep 3 sank like stones,so after that presumption went out the window.

Yes. Less idiots in the world means more space and time for my joy. Trying to save idiots kills my joy for sure.

(Note, Not about the raft, just general comment disagreeing with kevin)

Yep agreed.. I wonder how many millions of our tax payers dollars are used to try and save ignorant, arrogant dumbasses from there own stupidity. Why should 99% of the population have to pay to protect the 1% that will more than likely ignore any rules or education anyway.

Saving lives means you're a kill joy? Nice piece of logic.

It wasn't stated. Kevin (and anyone else that likes to draw the really long bow) before you make another post look up Logical Fallacy and check against your post(s) PLEEEEZE!

Any of you P C lifejacket brigade read Riggers lifejacket post ?. Those raft races are great.Lifejackets are not necessary if you can swim and if you can't,go in the race and drown.....well..... People don't have to be protected all the time. Read my byline ! Sabre and GW are right on. Everywhere now it seems that the P C brigade want's a rule or regulation for every human experience. If you are like that then suggestion is apply your own rules to yourself and leave the rest of us alone !

• Upvote 1

i don't want anyone fined

esp, me

as a capable swimmer in a seaworthy dinghy going between my moored/anchored boat + shore

I have been entertaining people for a while passing on the advice from someone on Crew.org (sorry forgot who) - tie a line around your ankle, stand up and tell the authorities you are a paddleboard. 

And Keven, really?  Stopping kids from having a great time building a river raft, complete with a basketball hoop, splashing around in a quite river, having a great time, is "Saving Lives"?  Really?  I think you might need saving, from yourself.  Live a little, do something that is fun, maybe a little crazy!  I guess for you, that could be wearing your lifejacket inside out in the shower, you wild and crazy dude!