Another ridiculous lifejacket article

"dickheads will still drown" has to be the nadir of the opposition to safety on the water here. We're talking about human beings who may not be as fully aware of the risks as we'd like them to be. That's no reason to condemn them to death. Disgusting.

I'll take your straw man and raise you some kapok.

You guys are forgetting our fines are put in place to fund the Life Jacket Nazi's budget much as we fund the parking Nazi's budget on the roads. Just another Government orchestrated revenue gathering excersize. 

6 in a 5m boat seems to push the envelope but it depends on the boat design.However in the event it could carry 6 safely and they did end up in the lake,with or without LJ's they would probably have succumbed to hypothermia swallowed water and be recorded as drowning.The real cause of course would have been lack of education (stupidity)overloading,weather factors. Prosecuting and fining this guy probably would not help him but a practical course including on water tuition might help and be ,at least, productive application of the money rather than a fine in the Council coffers.

• Upvote 1

my jurisprudence and logic class.

That's the problem right there. Theory verse real life, they often don't play nicely together.

Mattm, I don't mind a sensible discussion and I don't mind the odd joke or two. But the type of "discussion" here doesn't bode well for a dispassionate and compassionate consideration of the pros and cons of this issue. Happy to start with a real dialogue which we could perhaps begin with a revisiting of your comment: "The harbour masters Christmas party piss up fund (or tidly winks/ what ever their type do for fun) will be empty by January, this will give it a great head start for next year."

Mattm, I don't mind a sensible discussion and I don't mind the odd joke or two. But the type of "discussion" here doesn't bode well for a dispassionate and compassionate consideration of the pros and cons of this issue.

That's ironic when one goes back through your own posts. You are equally guilty as anyone of not engaging in sensible discussion on this issue.

Ok, well booboo asked what you think the law should be also and I can't recall him saying anything you could take offence too. Why don't you answer him rather than me if I have upset you.

Posting what you think a reasonable and rational law would be seems a good way to encourage constructive conversation. One reason I'm against the compulsory idea is that I can't fathom how it would work without being ridiculos. Educate me?

Another reason I'm against it is I have not seen any properly defined statistics on the number of deaths that would likely have been prevented by a life jacket. I have seen plenty of stats that talk preventable and non preventable - non being car crashes, suicide or homocide, preventable being ALL others. I hear people using numbers which suggest every person who drowned while not wearing a life jackey 'could' have been saved by one which, while a lifejacket MAY have saved them, I don't think is realistic to say every single one will be saved. In contrast, I'd also like to know the numbers of people who's situation may have been made worse - in the cabin of an upturned boat and had to swim down and out to safety - lifejacket would likely make that impossible. Can you provide any such detailed statistics or analysis?

matt, You haven't upset me, though it sounds to me like you've already made up your mind. FWIW it's impossible to prove the counterfactual in any individual case (as you allude to), but the probability is high that many lives would have been saved if people were wearing PFDs, is it not?. So what probability number would satisfy you? How many lives would it take to be worth the legislation? How much is a life worth?

Someone drowned in a river yesterday but this was quoted from a councilor living nearby: 'He said it was a "tragic" and unusual situation to hear of someone drowning in the river.'

http://i.stuff.co.nz/national/87933171/reports-of-a-person-in-trouble-in-the-wainui-river-bay-of-plenty

Also on TVOne news yesterday a body was found washed up at Muirwai beach - 'it was wearing a life jacket'.

Both items don't add much to the debate other than prove problems exist with water everywhere, as has been said, and people do drown in lifejackets, also said. There is still no drownings of boaties heading to shore in clam conditions this year.

So what probability number would satisfy you? How many lives would it take to be worth the legislation? How much is a life worth?

Conversely, it is a fact life jackets have been the direct cause of some drownings.

How many deaths will it take before you'd start to question the wisdom of making LJ's compulsory?

And now I have a reason for such gloom - I just discovered my car was broken into last night and the prezzie for the wife is a gonna. Son of a ....

What Aholes some people are.

And now I have a reason for such gloom - I just discovered my car was broken into last night and the prezzie for the wife is a gonna. Son of a ....

Scum bags.

Must remember that one though, for next time I forget a Birthday or similarly important situation.

"Dear, I had an expensive gift in the Car and someone's broken into the Car and stolen it" ;-)