Sailors Corner closing down

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Makes me question the owners integrity if they're not honouring gift vouchers.

Im surprised they lasted as long as they did. Bad service, high prices, no online presence.

Get off the yerba, Mate'. This is the collective bleat thread for endangered species of kiwi that believe  we in Aotearoa have been gouged for too long. Probably by old money. We don't need a dose

Posted Images

In my experience SC carried better, if not top brands. Yeah their prices of some items were higher but they always gave a reasonable discount when one requested.

Burnsco have many items that are their own brand, some of which may not be of quality. We got pile of Hatch covers, looks to be made of thin canvas, did not last, they weren't cheap either. However they have a good online presence with many stores around the country.  

• 2 weeks later...

I would have thought that today would have been a top sales day. Run a skeleton crew and, oooh, I dunno, maybe have actual sale prices?

I was thinking about going for a nosey but having read what's on here, I'll just stick to Burnsco

SC advertising their closing sale tomorrow on the radio. Thought the 3 in Westhaven meant competitive prices, that then also applied in Chch with Burnsco. Here the staff can often be next to useless but does that mean minimal wages. Who doesn't Google before going shopping anyway. I spend lots on Amazon. Note none of the premises at the Lyttelton marina have found tenants.

SC advertising their closing sale tomorrow on the radio. Thought the 3 in Westhaven meant competitive prices, that then also applied in Chch with Burnsco. Here the staff can often be next to useless but does that mean minimal wages. Who doesn't Google before going shopping anyway. I spend lots on Amazon. Note none of the premises at the Lyttelton marina have found tenants.

Wow - what a collective of random assumptions. Your glaring lack of understanding of economics 101 is troubling whether it be leasing near shore space, competition or wage structures. Let alone an understanding the potential scale of a particular market where there are significant barriers to physical market entry and little in the way of barriers to virtual entry. Do you really believe that 170 berths is sufficient to support any type of retail, marine related or hospitality business other than a coffee cart?

Got to be competitive with online or overseas prices. I try to buy locally as I usually want it yesterday. Recently needed some car parts,checked repco?superchep etc Found what I wanted on T/M,didnt realise it was an aussie dealer, 1/2 nz price and landed/delivered in 24hrs by dhl free shipping and up to date texts from dhl as to where when it will be delivered. How often has one been in to a marine store and have to order whats needed to be told 2/3 days and you have to follow it up?? or staff steer you to one brand as they have no idea on the other brands,

The store is starting to look a little empty, however much more to sell still. I am told that Everything is 30% less rrp now. 
Boaties love to browse through boat bits, so I feel there still is good market for a marine superstore like SC, and I am not talking about store with low cheap/quality goods  :|