RNI fuel requirements

We was chatting over lunch about the consequences of unintended consequences and amongst it all this came up or more specifically rules in general which one of the lads mentioned this as an example.

We came to the conclusion that applying the same rule to large heavy motorsailors (ie. yachts that are very reliant on motors) to smaller light weight yachts (many who are not reliant on motors) does have some unintended consequences. In this case all of those unintended consequences are pretty much all negative and those will impact the smaller boats, in some cases considerably, yet won't effect the bigger ones at all.

Maybe in the 202?? edition the team as a ponder to see what can be done about that to make it a more even playing field right across the fleet. We see no downside in that but many upsides. The 2 biggest upsides being safety and it is going to have to happen shortly anyway so why not get it done and dusted.

Happen anyway? It sure will as who in their right mind would carry a sh*t load of high explosive on a boat that has no use for it and no safe storage for it i.e. there are a few boats now that don't and as liquid dinosaur gets replaced by sun/wind that number will only increase.

Then the chat turned to 2 wheels and the unintended consequences of BWM releasing their 1250 GS adventure range while still making the 1200. Conclusion - buy a 1200, not as bulky, go just as well, nice savings.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jeez you guys get a room. Surely this discussion concerns a rule around safety - as in being able to sort your own sh*t out after dumping the rig, without having someone else risk their own lives resc

I doubt any of the fleet could motor into 50kn in open water.

I would have thought, if you were in a sailing race, you'd need to be able to sail off a lee shore, or something.   But the motoring distance sounds like a reasonable estimate of how far you may nee

Happen anyway? It sure will as who in their right mind would carry a sh*t load of high explosive on a boat that has no use for it and no safe storage for it 

Quiet right KM, it is definitely time we got rid of flares.

I always knew you'd come around to my way of thinking.

Quiet right KM, it is definitely time we got rid of flares.

I always knew you'd come around to my way of thinking.

Not time yet as there is in only one approved alternative which is decidedly average, being generous. But that time will also come sooner or later.

If you don’t like carrying shedloads of petrol then consider a diesel outboard ? ;-)

Oh no the weight she cried

…_/)…_/)…

Or one of these http://www.lehraustralia.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=52

I wonder how far you would go on a 9kg bottle or two

I'd think if I had a big grader that can not operate without fossil fuels and was scared of getting my arse kicked by a smaller boat I'd also be suggesting those options.

Or one of these http://www.lehraustralia.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=52

I wonder how far you would go on a 9kg bottle or two

An interesting question the site doesn't answer. But it does rabbit on a lot about lower emissions, 30-40% more efficient and blaa blaa. So with extensive effort gone into the promotion of the advantages over liquid dinosaur but zero reference to fuel consumption or fuel weight I think it's safe to say 2 x 9kg bottles will get you less distance than 18kg (25lts) of 91.

Hydrogen fuelling an electric drive is what ya want. No need to take fuel, just a bucket. Exhaust straight in to the ocean and still get a Xmas card from Greenpeace. Light weight. Next to zero maintenance. Excellent sound levels for the morning after the night before. The only niggle would be finding a method of popping the hydrogen out and getting the sacks of coal back in when you wanted to do a SSANZ event ;)

The issue with outboards is that the lower hp ones have no drive in any sought of seaway. Getting our of Westhaven isn't like pushing tide and wind coming back through the Tiri passage. I run a 15hp Honda with an alternator and electric start which pushes the boat along just fine and weighs half what the old 10hp diesel did. The other good thing about the 15 is that I have never had to run it at max throttle so is reasonably economical. In the last RNI we had to motor from about 5 mile south of East Island back to Gisborne so you do need to motor at a reasonable clip for long periods.

I took 3 tote tanks one each side and one under the cockpit floor in the locker plus a 20 litre container. The thinking behind the tote tanks was that they can be left connected so that you don't have to change a tank when it runs out. That's not always going to be possible. The trip back to Gisborne used less than 20 litres.

68nm Changed roughly

Lucky you were on that side when you needed it not 70nm abeam of Auckland and have to wait a day for the Manukau bar to settle or 100nm north of New Plymouth with 5m swells rolling into the harbour.

It’s always the ones that haven’t done a RNI that think the requirements are unreasonable