RNI fuel requirements

I would have thought that many boats, including Island Time, could not do 150 nm at WOT. My range would be about 100 miles. 360-400 at normal cruise. Although I once did 1300nm under power, carried 10 20ltr jerry jugs on deck and went slow - a bit under 5 knots.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jeez you guys get a room. Surely this discussion concerns a rule around safety - as in being able to sort your own sh*t out after dumping the rig, without having someone else risk their own lives resc

I doubt any of the fleet could motor into 50kn in open water.

I would have thought, if you were in a sailing race, you'd need to be able to sail off a lee shore, or something.   But the motoring distance sounds like a reasonable estimate of how far you may nee

and another point is that the mast and rigging on a yacht provides a helluva lot of windage, you will motor a whole lot faster for the same revs without the rig standing up, ie assuming you are trying to get somewhere after dropping the mast.

Only problem is a yacht will be bloody uncomfortable without the roll slowing affect of the masts inertia.... unless it is a catamaran.

No cats (or tris) in RNI unfortunately, but that is another thread topic

Tb

Fish...there has to be a practical, prudent speed able to be achieved. IMHO that for a 930 would be circa 4.5 - 6.0 knots in most conditions except for extreme conditions.

In reality during the RNI you will be motoring in either 0.0knts of wind in which case speed will be good and fuel burn low. The other time is most likely in sh*t weather where your speed will be slow fuel burn high. If you're lucky you'll be aiming downwind which will help.

To comply with the regs and if you want good speed you will need to work on a fuel burn close to what you'd get at WOT. If you want minimal fuel to carry then expect a slow trip, potentially very slow if bashing into sh*t with your rig strapped on your deck.

The smart boats will prep for a busted rig by carrying one of 2 small light weight items to help fashion a jury rig. It's 2019 with many cool technologies so look beyond the dinosaur grade motor which are far from infallible. Also this fuel requirement is near unique so you will do races where you are not reminded or forced to carry shitloads, so if prepare your boat to be less reliant on fuel the better and safer off you'll be longer term. Sure the fuel still needs to be carried for the RNI starts but it opens the options to remove or better minimise the large increase in risk that comes with.

As Dtwo very correctly points out the person who wrote the NOR is trying hard to get you home but they aren't going to be onboard when it hits the fan, by that time they have done all they can and its now up to you. So do what you need to to get home, don't rely on others to do that for you.

Jeez you guys get a room. Surely this discussion concerns a rule around safety - as in being able to sort your own sh*t out after dumping the rig, without having someone else risk their own lives rescuing dumbos.  FFS man up and sort your boat out so you can look after yourselves.  And if you can't - take this discussion to the racing pages where I can't be bothered even reading about it.  Thank you.

Golly gosh, haven't you got your tits in a tangle?

I wasn't aware someone was holding a gun to your head, forcing you to read this thread. If someone is, perhaps you should call the police and not bitch about it on here?

Last I checked, the forum was for the exchange and discussion of ideas. Determining fuel consumption and range for a given engine sounds like a technical topic to me.

It would appear the thread was being productive and progressing nicely until somehow your sensibilities got upset. Exactly how do you think lurkers with other 'safety' related questions are going to feel when you go getting stuck in to anyone discussing a topic you aren't interested in?

Its posts like yours that do this site a disservice. Sorry.

The requirement is below

Yachts must carry sufficient engine fuel at the start of each leg to give the yacht a motoring range of at least 150nm in flat water.

Fuel and engine are general terms

Dinosaurs don’t have to be harmed by necessity.

Sunbugs and perpetual motion engines, fuel cells are all acceptable or anything else, just show us your working on achieving 150nm in flat water.

However what’s the requirements for Cat 2 under the safety regulations?

20.05 A serviceable engine and propeller shall be installed, capable of driving the yacht in smooth water at the very least at a speed exceeding the square root of the LWL in metres after converting to feet or

LWL(m) x 3.28 knots.

Don’t confuse this requirement for an “engine” being the requirement for speed to be achieved for the 150nm in flat water, both are requirements but don’t need to be achieved at the same time

To reiterate I have no problem with achieving the requirements both under Cat 2 safety regs and RNI NOR. I understand perfectly whay the requirment are there. I remain somehwat conflicted as to the safety of carrying circa 120 plus litres of 91 octane petrol on board. This is my issue and ultimately is an economic question probably resulting in moving to a 4 stroke motor. Thanks again everyone.

I remain somehwat conflicted as to the safety of carrying circa 120 plus litres of 91 octane petrol on board.

Oh gezzz dude, DO NOT say that out loud.

The rules aren't written for modern yachts, they are written for old school boats that can not do any distance without burning fuel. Your boat is regarded as old and dumb as those ones.

You can see above and in some previous threads, no one f**king cares dude!!!!!

20.05 A serviceable engine and propeller shall be installed, capable of driving the yacht in smooth water at the very least at a speed exceeding the square root of the LWL in metres after converting to feet or

LWL(m) x 3.28 knots.

Umm, That make no sense to me, not an unusual occurrence.

Do they mean hull speed?

ie 1.34 x  square root/LWL in ft. (in flat watere)

Ok, got it, just leave off  1.34. In what conditions?