Summer Skin Protection

20191020_165425.jpg

I bought one of these in Australia last week.

Just back from Afternoon around the buoys racing where i wore it for the first time.

Its been a brilliant day here and usually my face would be glowing in spite of sunscreen , sunglasses and a wide brim hat.

Today my face is cool....

I thought it might be irritating to wear but it wasnt. Didnt interfere with vision nor communication.

So i am very pleased. Much interest from other sailors.

Some said that they felt a little intimidated when i was bearing down on them with just my eyes showing so that is also good ;-).  

im turning 60  shortly and yes ,already had my fair share of cancery bits removed, I just got a new hat from Torpedo 7, wide brim with a neck flap, also has a stiff peak and a sturdy strap and buckle, stays on great in 30 knts,  the hats are marketed for surfing, best one ive had so far, worth checking out the website

just got results back from two more skin biopsies - negative this time, but I've had positive ones with surgery too.

And yeah, it's mostly from stupid stuff I did decades ago. 

We're trying to do better with the grandkids - don't let them get all browned up like we used to do. 

Go the AB's - I'm even starting to understand the rules a bit

The tube of New Zealand Cancer Society Everyday sunscreen, SPF 50+. I been using has failed AMA testing.  Bloody Hell !!!!! Who can you trust.  Plus the Testing Body (USA) was found to have been duddying up the results prior to 2017.  Well thats what the Herald reports.  

• Upvote 1

Concerning the sun hat part of this post I have never been able to wear one until now, or any hat for that matter.

I cannot abide the hot sweaty head that a hat gives and I invariably ended up with a rash across my forehead from the sweatband in spite of frequent laundering. Having a looser sweatband resolves the problem but then you can't keep it perched on your head when the wind blows.

So this is what I have now.

20191122_130439.jpg

Now you don't need to tell me that you wouldn't be seen dead in such a dorky looking hat, I understand that, but it has some amazing attributes.

Firstly the hat is made from an open weave natural fibre and the relatively high crown provides a good air space which means hot heads are a thing of the past. And secondly the headband is very loose yet the hat doesnt blow off in a breeze. Whether this is due to the conical shape... perhaps vortexes caused by the shape exerting a downward pressure in a breeze.. Don't know, don't care. But for the first time ever I am comfortable all day wearing a sun hat. I think that hats are very individualistic things and you have to be lucky to find one that suits.