Good gear? I'm looking at a pair of salopettes. They call it ocean gear, but just wondering how it compares to HPX - price difference is considerable. Would you more ocean experienced among us be happy to do a global circumnavigation using it? B00B00, BP?

Hahahaha. After 5h of slamming into a short chop and 25knt I got puked on by Julius first trip after we picked up the boat (poor little bugger). Stood in the back of the cockpit and washed off with the hot deck shower.

I was kind of half thinking the same kind of thing, and considering just getting some good PVC/fisho gear. Let's see. 

Got Gil OS1 stuff before RNZ jacket. Both Samin and I. We both rate the Jackets but hate the pants. I would buy another jacket, would never buy the pants again. Wet arse as soon as water on deck. Both of us. From new. 

49 minutes ago, Clipper said:

Got Gil OS1 stuff before RNZ jacket. Both Samin and I. We both rate the Jackets but hate the pants. I would buy another jacket, would never buy the pants again. Wet arse as soon as water on deck. Both of us. From new. 

Interesting (and damning?) I'm looking at the 2020 stuff, which is apparently "14% lighter" and "reengineered"... Wonder if it would have the same issues... 

A wet arse on day one is definitely not on my wish list.

R

These guys do the GUL stuff, based in Silverdale, Auckland, although I'm not sure what hemisphere you are in Dr Watson? I haven't tried their coastal stuff, but have bought numerous items off them, including GUL wetsuits, and have been happy. Check out their leather breathable GUL sea boots if you need a cost effective alternative to Dubarry....

https://www.nzsailing.com/shop-by-brand/gul/coastal-gear

https://www.nzsailing.com/gul-fastnet-deckboot-waterproof-fully-breathable-665317

I've got a full set of Musto HPX. It is lasting extremely well. No wear at all, possibly 6 or 8 years old now. It is sooo f**king expensive I'm too scared to take it out of the wardrobe.... I prefer to use my older or budget brand gear as I can actually relax and knock about in it. I'm paranoid about getting my HPX stuff dirty, its just soo expensive. Short story is if I needed new gear, I'd go for the cheap stuff. You can get 2 or 3 sets for the price of the posh stuff, have a dry set for every watch of the day (assuming you aren't on a weight conscious racer). If the pants leaked first time, I'd take them back for a refund. I've got some not that old Line 7 branded pants that are great, tough and waterproof. That said, I'm only doing day sailing cruising recently, haven't done a big hairy distance race or a trans-ocean for a while now.