Fergy Buoy vs Ezybuoy..

8 hours ago, BOIGuy said:

Think there may be some confusion here, I just asked for an "EASY MOOR FLOAT SYSTEM" from moorings Northland, I thought it was also called a easy bouy system, see the website https://www.mooringsnorthland.co.nz/productsservices/  not expecting any magnets.

Pretty sure its what the use in the Sounds too, similar to Fergie Bouy but with a soft buoy.

I've got a normal mooring too and rent another,  both locations have strong currents and a bit rough at times, can be a battle on my own some days.

The Fergie and Easy Moor mean you don't have to lift any chain weight to get the headline up and on the bollard. Thought it would be worth a try. 

Ok that’s interesting. Possibly have my wires crossed. Info I got Said ezy buoy system. I’ll go back and double check with  moorings northland.

We recently upgraded to a Fergi buoy and for us its awesome, no mucky mooring lines, no heavy lines to get up to the bows, which a 2m up above the water. 

The buoy hitting the boat is a real issue though. Being a Cat, we were able to put the Fergi on a short bridal where is can't actually touch the hulls.

We're in a high tide flow area and this is where the Fergi was the other day when I got to the boat! When its like this the top of the Buoy does bump the bottom of the Catwalk, but its 36mm 8 Braid so soft enough to do no damage.

IMG_20200613_141117.jpg

Don't know if its been covered before but there has been cases of several Fergi buoys that were not properly set up regarding mooring lines and swivels with the result being the fergi buoy bobbing and weaving in the water actually unlaid 3 strand nylon leading to failure, think most pros are on to it now but it will pay to make sure the fergi is to be properly installed beforehand.

Most storms seem to bring a yacht or two ashore around Auckland, from what I can seethe required standards for moorings are a little bit behind most other parts of the country,

Pretty rare to see a boat brake loose up north since their standard were introduced, the ones I have seen have all related to failure of bits on the boat.

I had a fergy in Opito bay for 6 months, the hitting of topsides might have become an issue on tide change etc but I still think I would go for it again and trouble shoot it if there was a problem, give it a lifejacket/buffer if required.  Ours was a really highly rated mooring with 2 heavy top ropes but it didn't seem to have a swivel, so occasionally wed have to unwind it. Easy to pick up.

2 hours ago, John B said:

I had a fergy in Opito bay for 6 months, the hitting of topsides might have become an issue on tide change etc but I still think I would go for it again and trouble shoot it if there was a problem, give it a lifejacket/buffer if required.  Ours was a really highly rated mooring with 2 heavy top ropes but it didn't seem to have a swivel, so occasionally wed have to unwind it. Easy to pick up.

OK, We'll once it's installed, maybe you can go take a photo of it for me :)

Ezibuoy is a bullshit idea from aussie, not used in NZ.

It is Easy Moor, which is Northland Moorings version of a Fergi. You can make one yourself for under 200, possibly less. They are only CC$'s with a stick up their arse.

On 19/06/2020 at 7:51 AM, BOIGuy said:

Most storms seem to bring a yacht or two ashore around Auckland, from what I can seethe required standards for moorings are a little bit behind most other parts of the country,

Pretty rare to see a boat brake loose up north since their standard were introduced, the ones I have seen have all related to failure of bits on the boat.

For every one that comes ashore in Northland about 2 do around Auckland. That looks like Northland does a lot better but then Northland has 1000, Akl has 6000 so maybe not.

Northland is known as an area with more than the average moring failures sorry. But when you consider you have a monopoly, a monopy that does push the council around, mostly absent boat owners and they tend to be the more moneyed up but far less boating knowledageble types then add in planned obsolessance the number of failures are argueable lower than is expected.

On 18/06/2020 at 9:49 PM, Rats said:

Don't know if its been covered before but there has been cases of several Fergi buoys that were not properly set up regarding mooring lines and swivels with the result being the fergi buoy bobbing and weaving in the water actually unlaid 3 strand nylon leading to failure, think most pros are on to it now but it will pay to make sure the fergi is to be properly installed beforehand.

Good post and quite correct Rats. If you see a contractor setting up a Fergi using a 3 strand rope get another contractor.