6 hours ago, Aleana said:

The theory of lubing the mast track obviously makes sense but I could not believe the difference it actually makes in reality. Yesterday I went up the mast and sprayed the whole track plus the cars. Then hoisted. Previously I started by hand but had to resort to winch by about 1/3 way up. After lubing yesterday I literally pulled the whole mainsail up by hand until it went ‘clunk’ at the masthead. I only put it on the winch for some final tension. This is a 42ft boat with a 15m hoist so not tiny.

What lube did you end up using?

We tried McLube Sailkote on the track and One Drop on the cars but it didn't make a noticeable difference.  We just won some CRC PTFE Drylube so we're going to try that out.

Individually, the cars run smoothly and the sheave at the top of the mast runs smoothly, but there is no way an average person can easily haul the main to the top, the last bit always requires the winch.

Mine was one of the CRC silicone sprays “lubricates & waterproofs etc”. Can’t recall exact version but will check.

In the past I’ve given the cars a good spray by standing at the mast as the sail is hoisted but you can only reach up 2-3m. So this time I invested the energy in climbing the mast and spraying all the way down. Difference was night vs day.

On 11/08/2020 at 3:38 PM, CarpeDiem said:

What lube did you end up using?

We tried McLube Sailkote on the track and One Drop on the cars but it didn't make a noticeable difference.  We just won some CRC PTFE Drylube so we're going to try that out.

Individually, the cars run smoothly and the sheave at the top of the mast runs smoothly, but there is no way an average person can easily haul the main to the top, the last bit always requires the winch.

I checked. It’s “CRC 808 Silicone”.

4 hours ago, Aleana said:

CRC 808 Silicone

Thats what I use too, found the teflon ones, like dryglide, to be not as effective and leave a residue that scapes off and builds up in places.

Do be careful where you spray it, very slippery. 

19 hours ago, BOIGuy said:

Thats what I use too, found the teflon ones, like dryglide, to be not as effective and leave a residue that scapes off and builds up in places.

Do be careful where you spray it, very slippery. 

Yes it's nuts slippery. I got a bit of overspray on the mast around the gooseneck and I couldn't even grip the mast to hold  myself on until I wiped it clean. No wonder the mainsail loves it. As a rough guess thinking about the before vs after effort I reckon it has reduced the load to hoist the main by at least 50% possibly more. Of course that's reduced load on everything - not just me - but halyard, blocks and mainsail head itself.